Minor REST API cleanup: Remove experimental listings, make timeuuid parameter mandatory for data-parsoid

Minor REST API cleanup: Remove experimental listings, make timeuuid parameter mandatory for data-parsoid

Gabriel Wicke-3
tl;dr: You are *very* likely not affected.

We are planning two changes in the REST API:

1) Remove the experimental /page/html/ and /page/data-parsoid/
listings [1][2]. Our metrics show that these are essentially unused.
The same title listing remains available at /page/title/ [3].

2) Make the `tid` path parameter in the unstable
/page/data-parsoid/{title}/{revision}/{tid} [4] end point mandatory.
Data-parsoid is tied to a specific HTML render, and only requests with
an explicit timeuuid from the corresponding HTML response are
guaranteed to get the correct data-parsoid version.

If things go to plan, we will deploy these changes sometime next week.

Thank you for your understanding,

Gabriel Wicke for the Services team

[1]: https://en.wikipedia.org/api/rest_v1/?doc#!/Page_content/get_page_html
[2]: https://en.wikipedia.org/api/rest_v1/?doc#!/Page_content/get_page_data_parsoid
[3]: https://en.wikipedia.org/api/rest_v1/?doc#!/Page_content/get_page_title
[4]: https://en.wikipedia.org/api/rest_v1/?doc#!/Page_content/get_page_data_parsoid_title_revision_tid

Re: Minor REST API cleanup: Remove experimental listings, make timeuuid parameter mandatory for data-parsoid

Subramanya Sastry

On 03/07/2016 07:49 PM, Gabriel Wicke wrote:
> tl;dr: You are *very* likely not affected.

As a Parsoid-side clarification, data-parsoid is considered private
information. This information is primarily used by Parsoid to minimize
dirty diffs when edited HTML is converted to wikitext. So, Parsoid HTML
clients shouldn't be inspecting the contents of this data (or at least
should not assume that this information will remain stable). Parsoid can
and will change the contents and representation of data-parsoid without
warning as required.

Subbu.

> We are planning two changes in the REST API:
>
> 1) Remove the experimental /page/html/ and /page/data-parsoid/
> listings [1][2]. Our metrics show that these are essentially unused.
> The same title listing remains available at /page/title/ [3].
>
> 2) Make the `tid` path parameter in the unstable
> /page/data-parsoid/{title}/{revision}/{tid} [4] end point mandatory.
> Data-parsoid is tied to a specific HTML render, and only requests with
> an explicit timeuuid from the corresponding HTML response are
> guaranteed to get the correct data-parsoid version.
>
> If things go to plan, we will deploy these changes sometime next week.
>
> Thank you for your understanding,
>
> Gabriel Wicke for the Services team
>
> [1]: https://en.wikipedia.org/api/rest_v1/?doc#!/Page_content/get_page_html
> [2]: https://en.wikipedia.org/api/rest_v1/?doc#!/Page_content/get_page_data_parsoid
> [3]: https://en.wikipedia.org/api/rest_v1/?doc#!/Page_content/get_page_title
> [4]: https://en.wikipedia.org/api/rest_v1/?doc#!/Page_content/get_page_data_parsoid_title_revision_tid

Re: Minor REST API cleanup: Remove experimental listings, make timeuuid parameter mandatory for data-parsoid

Marko Obrovac
Hello,

On 8 March 2016 at 02:49, Gabriel Wicke <[hidden email]> wrote:

> tl;dr: You are *very* likely not affected.
>
> We are planning two changes in the REST API:
>
> 1) Remove the experimental /page/html/ and /page/data-parsoid/
> listings [1][2]. Our metrics show that these are essentially unused.
> The same title listing remains available at /page/title/ [3].
>
> 2) Make the `tid` path parameter in the unstable
> /page/data-parsoid/{title}/{revision}/{tid} [4] end point mandatory.
> Data-parsoid is tied to a specific HTML render, and only requests with
> an explicit timeuuid from the corresponding HTML response are
> guaranteed to get the correct data-parsoid version.

These changes are scheduled to go live tomorrow around 10:00 UTC.

Cheers,
Marko

> If things go to plan, we will deploy these changes sometime next week.
>
> Thank you for your understanding,
>
> Gabriel Wicke for the Services team
>
> [1]:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/api/rest_v1/?doc#!/Page_content/get_page_html