Minutes of the last meeting

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Minutes of the last meeting

Andrew Turvey-2
Please find below the minutes of our meeting last Tuesday (apologies for the wiki markup!). Please send any corrections, comments or questions to me, post on the wiki Talk page or reply to this on the list.

Regards,

Andrew

=======

'''Wikimedia UK Board meeting

'''Tuesday 19th May 2009, 8:30pm BST at #wikimedia-uk-board


Present: Michael Peel (MP) (Chair); Andrew Turvey (AT) (Minutes); Paul Williams (PW); Steve Virgin (SV); Joseph Seddon (JS); Tom Holden (TH)

Apologies: Zeyi He (ZH)


== Minutes of the previous meeting ==


The [[Meetings/2009-05-12|minutes of the meeting of the 12th May]] were approved with minor changes.


The following actions were carried forward:


JS to send the tokens of our appreciation to the retiring Directors, tellers and external speakers.


'''ACTION: JS


TH to contact the bank to notify them of the new directors, to change the signatories to any two of MP, AT and TH and to set up AT and MP on the online banking.


'''ACTION: TH


PW will talk to SV and ZH to get them set up with an account on IRC and give them operator rights.


'''ACTION: PW, SV, ZH


MP has transferred ownership of wikimedia.co.uk to us; MP still to organise transfer of wikimedia.org.uk with current owner.


'''ACTION: MP


AT is to respond to the pressure group whose letter had been received.


'''ACTION: AT


AT will send the opt out email re Phorm once wikimedia.org.uk has been transferred.


'''ACTION: AT


JS and MP agreed to send at least one suggestion regarding initiatives to ZH before the next meeting.


'''ACTION: JS and MP


MP agreed to email a summary on cultural partnerships around the Board members for discussion at the next meeting.


'''ACTION: MP


AT agreed to email a summary on the proposed process to agree the chapter-selected seats in 2010.


'''ACTION: AT


ZH to send a note round the Board with details of the discussions she has had with people at her university to discuss running campaigns to encourage people to edit Wikipedia.


'''ACTION: ZH


PW will continue to research what is needed to produce business cards for Wikimedia UK officials.


'''ACTION: PW


== Matters arising ==


MP will move the private wiki to http://board.wikimedia.org.uk.


'''ACTION: MP


== Treasurer's Report ==


Member Number 28's application was approved and he becomes a member with immediate effect as his payment has already cleared.


It was agreed to put the Registers of Members, Directors etc. on the private wiki.


'''ACTION: AT


== Secretary's Report ==


AT reported two items of correspondence:


# A letter from our MP, with a response from the minister responsible regarding the HMRC delays.


# A referral from the en-wiki OTRS queue from an Imperial College spin off company asking for our help on the use of wikis in education. AT agreed to circulate to the Board, discuss on the mailing list and follow up.


'''ACTION: AT


== HMRC Response ==


Agreed to use the expanded draft from AT as the basis for our response.


Other ideas to be incorporated into the text include:

* The nature study comparing wikipedia to Britannica [http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v438/n7070/full/438900a.html]

* examples of activities that other chapters, e.g. WMDE, and the WMF have done

* any other “real world” case studies concerning Wikip/media, including the UNU-MERIT survey [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Survey] [http://blog.wikimedia.org/2009/04/16/first-preliminary-results-from-unu-merit-survey-of-wikipedia-readers-and-contributors-available/]

* surveys of how Wikip/media is used by students, academics and professionals

* discussions with Zeyi on her research work


SV will look into starting a survey on social media sites


'''ACTION: SV


MP agreed to find some references we can quote regarding the use of wikipedia as class assignments.


'''ACTION: MP


Agreed to continue to edit on the wiki and to approve at the next meeting.


'''ACTION: ALL


== Newsletter ==


JS agreed to complete the section on the 2010 Wikimedia UK conference tonight.

MP agreed to expand the “press coverage” and “other chapters” sections and distribute tomorrow.


'''ACTION: JS; MP


== Membership Drive ==


PW agreed to start pushing this and organise the [[Membership/Drive]] page. MP, AT, SV, JS agreed to send suggestions to PW about this by a fortnight's time.


'''ACTION: MP, AT, SV, JS


So that we can use it for members-only merchandising, AT agreed to send the email to the Foundation previously discussed asking for permission to use their trademarks.


'''ACTION: AT

== Any other business ==

JS reported that Manchester Tourist Board have offered their support to hosting a future Wikimania conference. The Board has also had a separate discussion on email about volunteering to host the 2010 chapters meeting. Discussion ensued on whether we should host a combined 2010 chapters meeting and UK Conference in Manchester.  JS will discuss with MTB whether they could support this event and express a statement of interest in regards to the chapters meeting on the chapters list. JS will continue to follow up over the next two weeks. MP and JS will liaise on discussing it with previous chapters meeting hosts Wikimedia Deutschland, Nederland and France.

'''ACTION: JS

We discussed ways to encourage donations. It was agreed directors should accept cash donations at wikimeets etc, give paper receipts and pay the cash into a bank branch. TH will follow up opening a non-charity PayPal account. TH will provide bank account details on request.

'''ACTION: TH


_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
WMUK: http://uk.wikimedia.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Minutes of the last meeting

Michael Bimmler
On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 1:21 AM, Andrew Turvey <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> AT reported two items of correspondence:
>
> # A letter from our MP, with a response from the minister responsible
> regarding the HMRC delays.
>

Any chance that this letter or at least a summary will be made public,
at least amongst members?

Thanks,
M.

--
Michael Bimmler
[hidden email]

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
WMUK: http://uk.wikimedia.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Minutes of the last meeting

Andrew Turvey
In reply to this post by Andrew Turvey-2
Not very exciting I'm afraid! I've typed in the response I received below. The abridged version:

* They admit that the HMRC Charities Unit are well behind their response targets
* The cause is the changes to the income tax rates plus an increase in applications
* They have trained more staff and changed their computer system to cope with the backlog and improved their advice to applicants

regards,

Andrew Turvey
Secretary,
Wikimedia UK
Wikimedia UK is the operating name of Wiki UK Limited.
Wiki UK Ltd is a Company Limited by Guarantee registered in England and Wales, Registered No. 6741827.
The Registered Office is at 23 Cartwright Way, Nottingham, NG9 1RL, United Kingdom.


=====

18 May

Dear Mr Turvey,

Please find enclosed a response received from the Minister at the Treasury regarding the questions you raised about Gift Aid.

I hope the reply is of assistance but if you have further questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact Nick's office again.

Yours sincerely,

Parliamentary Assistant to Nick Palmer MP

====

From: Stephen Timms, Financial Secretary to the Treasury.

11 May

Dear Nick,

Thank you for your letter of 25 March to Alistair Darling enclosing correspondence from your constituent, Andrew Turvey, Secretary of Wiki UK Limited of 23 Cartwright Way, Beeston, Nottingham, about Gift Aid. I have been asked to reply

I am sorry that Mr Turvey experienced delays in receiving a response from HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) to his enquiries.

As you may know, organisations not already registered with the Charity Commission must apply to HMRC for recognition as a charity for tax purposes. In 2008-09, HMRC aimed to respond to 85% of these applications within 15 (working) days, 95% within 40 days and the balance within 60. The number of new applications increased by 19% in 2008-09, and this increased workload was a factor in HMRC not meeting its 15 day target. However, HMRC did consider 98% of applications within 40 days and 100% within 60 working days. A response to the application from Wikimedia Ltd (sic), asking for further information to support the application, was issued after 51 days.

HMRC is working on improvements to make the application process easier, to help organisations to get it right first time and so reduce the number of applications needing enquiries. This will, in turn, reduce the waiting time for new applicants.

Mr. Turvey says that it is taking HMRC six weeks to process Gift Aid repayment claims. HMRC aims to repay 97% of complete and correct claims within 15 days and first claims within 25 days. For 2008-09 a little over 50% of claims were repaid within 15 days. This delay has been caused by a greater than usual number of incorrect claims following the change to the basic rate of tax and the introduction of the Transitional Relief. HMRC hopes to resume its normal target now that additional staff have been trained and changes to the repayments computer application have been made.

I understand that HMRC has recently written to Mr Turvey about his application.

Please pass on my thanks to Mr Turvey for taking the trouble to raise his concerns about this with us.

Yours ever,

Steven


----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Bimmler" <[hidden email]>
To: "Andrew Turvey" <[hidden email]>, [hidden email]
Sent: Friday, 22 May, 2009 17:23:30 GMT +00:00 GMT Britain, Ireland, Portugal
Subject: Re: [Wikimediauk-l] Minutes of the last meeting

On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 1:21 AM, Andrew Turvey <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> AT reported two items of correspondence:
>
> # A letter from our MP, with a response from the minister responsible
> regarding the HMRC delays.
>

Any chance that this letter or at least a summary will be made public,
at least amongst members?

Thanks,
M.

--
Michael Bimmler
[hidden email]

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
WMUK: http://uk.wikimedia.org

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
WMUK: http://uk.wikimedia.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Minutes of the last meeting

Michael Bimmler
On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 10:52 AM, Andrew Turvey
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Not very exciting I'm afraid! I've typed in the response I received below.
>

Thanks nonetheless for sharing!

best,
M
--
Michael Bimmler
[hidden email]

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
WMUK: http://uk.wikimedia.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Minutes of the last meeting

Andrew Turvey
In reply to this post by Andrew Turvey
Just to let you know, our case was mentioned in a "Charity News
Alerts" new story dealing with HMRC delays.

http://www.charityfinance.co.uk/home/content.php?id=2838&pg=15&cat=58

Regards,

Andrew

On May 22, 6:52 pm, Andrew Turvey <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Not very exciting I'm afraid! I've typed in the response I received below. The abridged version:
>
> * They admit that the HMRC Charities Unit are well behind their response targets
> * The cause is the changes to the income tax rates plus an increase in applications
> * They have trained more staff and changed their computer system to cope with the backlog and improved their advice to applicants
>
> regards,
>
> Andrew Turvey
> Secretary,
> Wikimedia UK
> Wikimedia UK is the operating name of Wiki UK Limited.
> Wiki UK Ltd is a Company Limited by Guarantee registered in England and Wales, Registered No. 6741827.
> The Registered Office is at 23 Cartwright Way, Nottingham, NG9 1RL, United Kingdom.
>
> =====
>
> 18 May
>
> Dear Mr Turvey,
>
> Please find enclosed a response received from the Minister at the Treasury regarding the questions you raised about Gift Aid.
>
> I hope the reply is of assistance but if you have further questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact Nick's office again.
>
> Yours sincerely,
>
> Parliamentary Assistant to Nick Palmer MP
>
> ====
>
> From: Stephen Timms, Financial Secretary to the Treasury.
>
> 11 May
>
> Dear Nick,
>
> Thank you for your letter of 25 March to Alistair Darling enclosing correspondence from your constituent, Andrew Turvey, Secretary of Wiki UK Limited of 23 Cartwright Way, Beeston, Nottingham, about Gift Aid. I have been asked to reply
>
> I am sorry that Mr Turvey experienced delays in receiving a response from HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) to his enquiries.
>
> As you may know, organisations not already registered with the Charity Commission must apply to HMRC for recognition as a charity for tax purposes. In 2008-09, HMRC aimed to respond to 85% of these applications within 15 (working) days, 95% within 40 days and the balance within 60. The number of new applications increased by 19% in 2008-09, and this increased workload was a factor in HMRC not meeting its 15 day target. However, HMRC did consider 98% of applications within 40 days and 100% within 60 working days. A response to the application from Wikimedia Ltd (sic), asking for further information to support the application, was issued after 51 days.
>
> HMRC is working on improvements to make the application process easier, to help organisations to get it right first time and so reduce the number of applications needing enquiries. This will, in turn, reduce the waiting time for new applicants.
>
> Mr. Turvey says that it is taking HMRC six weeks to process Gift Aid repayment claims. HMRC aims to repay 97% of complete and correct claims within 15 days and first claims within 25 days. For 2008-09 a little over 50% of claims were repaid within 15 days. This delay has been caused by a greater than usual number of incorrect claims following the change to the basic rate of tax and the introduction of the Transitional Relief. HMRC hopes to resume its normal target now that additional staff have been trained and changes to the repayments computer application have been made.
>
> I understand that HMRC has recently written to Mr Turvey about his application.
>
> Please pass on my thanks to Mr Turvey for taking the trouble to raise his concerns about this with us.
>
> Yours ever,
>
> Steven
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Michael Bimmler" <[hidden email]>
> To: "Andrew Turvey" <[hidden email]>, [hidden email]
> Sent: Friday, 22 May, 2009 17:23:30 GMT +00:00 GMT Britain, Ireland, Portugal
> Subject: Re: [Wikimediauk-l] Minutes of the last meeting
>
> On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 1:21 AM, Andrew Turvey <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > AT reported two items of correspondence:
>
> > # A letter from our MP, with a response from the minister responsible
> > regarding the HMRC delays.
>
> Any chance that this letter or at least a summary will be made public,
> at least amongst members?
>
> Thanks,
> M.
>
> --
> Michael Bimmler
> [hidden email]
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimedia UK mailing list
> [hidden email]://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
> WMUK:http://uk.wikimedia.org
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimedia UK mailing list
> [hidden email]://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
> WMUK:http://uk.wikimedia.org

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
WMUK: http://uk.wikimedia.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Minutes of the last meeting

David Gerard-2
2009/5/31  <[hidden email]>:

> Just to let you know, our case was mentioned in a "Charity News
> Alerts" new story dealing with HMRC delays.
> http://www.charityfinance.co.uk/home/content.php?id=2838&pg=15&cat=58


I see no mention at that link ...


- d.

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
WMUK: http://uk.wikimedia.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Minutes of the last meeting

David Gerard-2
2009/5/31 David Gerard <[hidden email]>:
> 2009/5/31  <[hidden email]>:

>> Just to let you know, our case was mentioned in a "Charity News
>> Alerts" new story dealing with HMRC delays.
>> http://www.charityfinance.co.uk/home/content.php?id=2838&pg=15&cat=58

> I see no mention at that link ...


Ah, you mean the Nick Palmer bit in the last paragraph?


- d.

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
WMUK: http://uk.wikimedia.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Minutes of the last meeting

AGK-2
In reply to this post by Andrew Turvey
Andrew: I don't see any reference to WMUK in that article. Did you meant to say it referred to another germane topic, or am I simply being dense?

AGK

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
WMUK: http://uk.wikimedia.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Minutes of the last meeting

Mark (Markie)
In reply to this post by David Gerard-2
I would assume that is it.

Mark

On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 8:30 PM, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:
2009/5/31 David Gerard <[hidden email]>:
> 2009/5/31  <[hidden email]>:

>> Just to let you know, our case was mentioned in a "Charity News
>> Alerts" new story dealing with HMRC delays.
>> http://www.charityfinance.co.uk/home/content.php?id=2838&pg=15&cat=58

> I see no mention at that link ...


Ah, you mean the Nick Palmer bit in the last paragraph?


- d.

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
WMUK: http://uk.wikimedia.org


_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
WMUK: http://uk.wikimedia.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Minutes of the last meeting

Mike Peel
In reply to this post by AGK-2
"Nick Palmer MP had contacted the Chancellor, Alistair Darling, about  
the issue on behalf of a charity in his constituency that had  
experienced a delay."

"a charity in his constituency" == us.

Pity they didn't mention us by name...

Mike

On 31 May 2009, at 20:30, AGK wrote:

> Andrew: I don't see any reference to WMUK in that article. Did you  
> meant to say it referred to another germane topic, or am I simply  
> being dense?
>
> AGK
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimedia UK mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
> WMUK: http://uk.wikimedia.org


_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
WMUK: http://uk.wikimedia.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Minutes of the last meeting

Andrew Turvey
Thanks Mike, that's the one! Sorry I didn't make it more explicit. The details of response times etc. are the same as the details in our letter I previously typed up here.

regards,

Andrew

----- "Michael Peel" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> From: "Michael Peel" <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]
> Sent: Sunday, 31 May, 2009 20:37:17 GMT +00:00 GMT Britain, Ireland, Portugal
> Subject: Re: [Wikimediauk-l] Minutes of the last meeting
>
> "Nick Palmer MP had contacted the Chancellor, Alistair Darling, about  
> the issue on behalf of a charity in his constituency that had  
> experienced a delay."
>
> "a charity in his constituency" == us.
>
> Pity they didn't mention us by name...
>
> Mike
>
> On 31 May 2009, at 20:30, AGK wrote:
>
> > Andrew: I don't see any reference to WMUK in that article. Did you  
> > meant to say it referred to another germane topic, or am I simply  
> > being dense?
> >
> > AGK
> > _______________________________________________
> > Wikimedia UK mailing list
> > [hidden email]
> > http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
> > WMUK: http://uk.wikimedia.org
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimedia UK mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
> WMUK: http://uk.wikimedia.org
>
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
WMUK: http://uk.wikimedia.org