Missing API function : Random page(s)

Magnus Manske-2
'nuff said :-)

Magnus

Re: Missing API function : Random page(s)

rfrisar
Hi Magnus,

I'm working now in Api Random Page functionality.

This is the first version format:

api.php?action=query&prop=randompage&rpprop=timestamp|user|comment|conte
nt

Parameters:
  rpprop         - Which properties to get for page.
                   Values (separate with '|'): ids, flags, timestamp,
user, size, comment, content
                   Default: ids|timestamp|flags|comment|user

Soon, maybe I will add a new parameter "rpns" to be able to indicate the
namespace desired of the page obtained.

You'll find a functional version in Vodafone's branch (ApiEdit_Vodafone)
very soon.

Cheers,
Alberto

Re: Missing API function : Random page(s)

Magnus Manske-2
Hi Alberto,

Nice! Hope to see it on wikipedia as well soon :-)

Thanks,
Magnus

On 10/17/07, Frisa, Raquel, VF-ES (rfrisar) <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Magnus,
>
> I'm working now in Api Random Page functionality.
>
> This is the first version format:
>
> api.php?action=query&prop=randompage&rpprop=timestamp|user|comment|conte
> nt
>
> Parameters:
>   rpprop         - Which properties to get for page.
>                    Values (separate with '|'): ids, flags, timestamp,
> user, size, comment, content
>                    Default: ids|timestamp|flags|comment|user
>
> Soon, maybe I will add a new parameter "rpns" to be able to indicate the
> namespace desired of the page obtained.
>
> You'll find a functional version in Vodafone's branch (ApiEdit_Vodafone)
> very soon.
>
> Cheers,
> Alberto

Roan Kattouw
Frisa, Raquel, VF-ES (rfrisar) schreef:

> Hi Magnus,
>
> I'm working now in Api Random Page functionality.
>
> This is the first version format:
>
> api.php?action=query&prop=randompage&rpprop=timestamp|user|comment|conte
> nt
>
> Parameters:
>   rpprop         - Which properties to get for page.
>                    Values (separate with '|'): ids, flags, timestamp,
> user, size, comment, content
>                    Default: ids|timestamp|flags|comment|user
>
> Soon, maybe I will add a new parameter "rpns" to be able to indicate the
> namespace desired of the page obtained.

Wouldn't it be better to just output the name of the page, and use a
generator to obtain additional information? Like:

api.php?action=query&generator=randompage&grpns=0|4&prop=info

(or &prop=revision&rvprop=flags|user|comment|content, whatever the user
would like).

Also, there's no need to put it in the Vodafone branch: if it works,
just commit it on trunk.

Catrope

Re: Missing API function : Random page(s)

Yuri Astrakhan
Before committing any new features to trunk, please document it at
[[mw:API]], notify this mailing list, and wait a few days for
comments.  Unlike the web site, the API is designed for programs, so
most changes require modification of the client code. It is easy to
introduce a new feature, it is very hard to change its behavior later
after everyone has started to use it.

Thx.