Mobile JavaScript

Denny Vrandečić-2
Two stupid questions, I couldn't find the answer on MediaWiki.org:

1) is MediaWiki:common.js being loaded on the mobile web view? Or any other
js? What about User:Name/common.js?

2) same question but for the Wikipedia app. Does the app run any js?

Re: Mobile JavaScript

Dmitry Brant
Hi Denny,

Speaking for the apps, we do not load any JavaScript, except for a few
packaged scripts used for app-specific features (e.g. collapsing infoboxes).

-Dmitry

On Thu, Oct 13, 2016 at 7:30 PM, Denny Vrandečić <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Two stupid questions, I couldn't find the answer on MediaWiki.org:
>
> 1) is MediaWiki:common.js being loaded on the mobile web view? Or any other
> js? What about User:Name/common.js?
>
> 2) same question but for the Wikipedia app. Does the app run any js?

Dmitry Brant
Senior Software Engineer / Product Owner (Android)
Wikimedia Foundation
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_mobile_engineering

Re: Mobile JavaScript

Jon Robson
The web runs MediaWiki:mobile.js or MediaWiki:minerva.js (skin) but not
MediaWiki:Common.js
It's my regret that we created MediaWiki:mobile.js to make this more
confusing ...  so I'd advise using minerva.js ... :) Similar
User:Name/minerva.js will work for a user.

On Thu, 13 Oct 2016 at 17:20 Dmitry Brant <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Denny,
>
> Speaking for the apps, we do not load any JavaScript, except for a few
> packaged scripts used for app-specific features (e.g. collapsing
> infoboxes).
>

> -Dmitry
>
> On Thu, Oct 13, 2016 at 7:30 PM, Denny Vrandečić <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Two stupid questions, I couldn't find the answer on MediaWiki.org:
> >
> > 1) is MediaWiki:common.js being loaded on the mobile web view? Or any
> other
> > js? What about User:Name/common.js?
> >
> > 2) same question but for the Wikipedia app. Does the app run any js?

> Dmitry Brant
> Senior Software Engineer / Product Owner (Android)
> Wikimedia Foundation
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_mobile_engineering

Re: Mobile JavaScript

Denny Vrandečić-2
Thanks Dmitry and Jon! That's the info I was looking for.

Since both https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki:Mobile.js and
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki:Minerva.js are empty, does that
mean English Wikipedia has no local JavaScript? Nice!

Cheers,
Denny

On Thu, Oct 13, 2016 at 6:48 PM Jon Robson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The web runs MediaWiki:mobile.js or MediaWiki:minerva.js (skin) but not
> MediaWiki:Common.js
> It's my regret that we created MediaWiki:mobile.js to make this more
> confusing ...  so I'd advise using minerva.js ... :) Similar
> User:Name/minerva.js will work for a user.
>

> On Thu, 13 Oct 2016 at 17:20 Dmitry Brant <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi Denny,
> >
> > Speaking for the apps, we do not load any JavaScript, except for a few
> > packaged scripts used for app-specific features (e.g. collapsing
> > infoboxes).
> >

> > -Dmitry
> >
> > On Thu, Oct 13, 2016 at 7:30 PM, Denny Vrandečić <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Two stupid questions, I couldn't find the answer on MediaWiki.org:
> > >
> > > 1) is MediaWiki:common.js being loaded on the mobile web view? Or any
> > other
> > > js? What about User:Name/common.js?
> > >
> > > 2) same question but for the Wikipedia app. Does the app run any js?

> > Dmitry Brant
> > Senior Software Engineer / Product Owner (Android)
> > Wikimedia Foundation
> > https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_mobile_engineering

Re: Mobile JavaScript

Jon Robson
That's correct. I should not mobile.css exists for the css equivalent and
is a little more popular:
 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki:Mobile.css