Mobile gateway testing

Brion Vibber-3
We're trying to get some more traffic onto the new mobile gateway for
testing -- and figuring out how best to get people to the
mobile-optimized site if they hit a regular Wikipedia link while on
their mobile phone.

For the moment I've slipped in some JavaScript onto English Wikipedia
which (intermittently for now) pops up a big link if it detects you’re
on an iPhone, iPod Touch, or Android-based device.

Pretty screen shots at:

http://leuksman.com/log/2009/02/18/mobile-browser-links/

:D

-- brion

Re: Mobile gateway testing

Chad
Is the new stuff in subversion? I know the hawpedia-
based code was.

-Chad

On Feb 18, 2009 9:00 PM, "Brion Vibber" <[hidden email]> wrote:

We're trying to get some more traffic onto the new mobile gateway for
testing -- and figuring out how best to get people to the
mobile-optimized site if they hit a regular Wikipedia link while on
their mobile phone.

For the moment I've slipped in some JavaScript onto English Wikipedia
which (intermittently for now) pops up a big link if it detects you're
on an iPhone, iPod Touch, or Android-based device.

Pretty screen shots at:

http://leuksman.com/log/2009/02/18/mobile-browser-links/

:D

-- brion

Re: Mobile gateway testing

Nikola Smolenski
Дана Thursday 19 February 2009 02:59:30 Brion Vibber написа:
> For the moment I've slipped in some JavaScript onto English Wikipedia
> which (intermittently for now) pops up a big link if it detects you’re
> on an iPhone, iPod Touch, or Android-based device.

If you want to detect more, I found
http://www.zytrax.com/tech/web/mobile_ids.html with a list of user agent
strings.

Re: Mobile gateway testing

Brion Vibber-3
On 2/18/09 6:08 PM, Chad wrote:
> Is the new stuff in subversion? I know the hawpedia-
> based code was.

It's being tried out in git so far --
http://github.com/hcatlin/wikimedia-mobile/tree/master

-- brion

> -Chad
>
> On Feb 18, 2009 9:00 PM, "Brion Vibber"<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
> We're trying to get some more traffic onto the new mobile gateway for
> testing -- and figuring out how best to get people to the
> mobile-optimized site if they hit a regular Wikipedia link while on
> their mobile phone.
>
> For the moment I've slipped in some JavaScript onto English Wikipedia
> which (intermittently for now) pops up a big link if it detects you're
> on an iPhone, iPod Touch, or Android-based device.
>
> Pretty screen shots at:
>
> http://leuksman.com/log/2009/02/18/mobile-browser-links/
>
> :D
>
> -- brion

Re: Mobile gateway testing

2009/2/19 Brion Vibber <[hidden email]>:

> We're trying to get some more traffic onto the new mobile gateway for
> testing -- and figuring out how best to get people to the
> mobile-optimized site if they hit a regular Wikipedia link while on
> their mobile phone.

I must say, I like the mobile skin - looks great in a browser as well.

I notice it doesn't have edit links as yet - any plans?

Upload to Commons or Wikinews would be nice too for those great pics
people get when they're out ;-)

I see http://m.wikipedia.org/ goes to en:wp rather than a list of
mobile gateways.

- d.

Re: Mobile gateway testing

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
At FOSDEM Brion said that not only the English Wikipedia can be available.
As I remember it, it was a matter of some meta data that needs to be made
available for a project. When I remember this correctly, it would be
"awesome" when this specification is public. It means that we can make our
content available for other languages as well;
Thanks,
       GerardM

2009/2/19 David Gerard <[hidden email]>

> 2009/2/19 Brion Vibber <[hidden email]>:
>
> > We're trying to get some more traffic onto the new mobile gateway for
> > testing -- and figuring out how best to get people to the
> > mobile-optimized site if they hit a regular Wikipedia link while on
> > their mobile phone.
>

> I must say, I like the mobile skin - looks great in a browser as well.
>
> I notice it doesn't have edit links as yet - any plans?
>
> Upload to Commons or Wikinews would be nice too for those great pics
> people get when they're out ;-)
>
> I see http://m.wikipedia.org/ goes to en:wp rather than a list of
> mobile gateways.
>

> - d.

Re: Mobile gateway testing

Siebrand Mazeland
See http://nl.w.wikipedia.org and a few others (de, fr, es, pt).

Cheers! Siebrand

At FOSDEM Brion said that not only the English Wikipedia can be available.
As I remember it, it was a matter of some meta data that needs to be made
available for a project. When I remember this correctly, it would be
"awesome" when this specification is public. It means that we can make our
content available for other languages as well; Thanks,
       GerardM

2009/2/19 David Gerard <[hidden email]>

> I see http://m.wikipedia.org/ goes to en:wp rather than a list of
> mobile gateways.

Re: Mobile gateway testing

Angela-5
On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 9:42 PM, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I notice it doesn't have edit links as yet - any plans?

Good question. Is this the same thing as the "new mobile platform"
that was announced before or not? I thought the point of that was to
enable more easier mobile editing.

Angela

Re: Mobile gateway testing

Brion Vibber-3
On 2/19/09 2:42 AM, David Gerard wrote:

> 2009/2/19 Brion Vibber<[hidden email]>:
>
>> We're trying to get some more traffic onto the new mobile gateway for
>> testing -- and figuring out how best to get people to the
>> mobile-optimized site if they hit a regular Wikipedia link while on
>> their mobile phone.
>

> I must say, I like the mobile skin - looks great in a browser as well.
>
> I notice it doesn't have edit links as yet - any plans?

Nothing firm in the works yet but it's one of our goals for it long-term. :)

(It's possible to edit in the regular MediaWiki skin on your iPhone...
it just *really sucks*. >:)

> Upload to Commons or Wikinews would be nice too for those great pics
> people get when they're out ;-)
>
> I see http://m.wikipedia.org/ goes to en:wp rather than a list of
> mobile gateways.

Language picker would be nice...

-- brion

Re: Mobile gateway testing

David Gerard-2
2009/2/19 Brion Vibber <[hidden email]>:
> On 2/19/09 2:42 AM, David Gerard wrote:

>> I notice it doesn't have edit links as yet - any plans?

> Nothing firm in the works yet but it's one of our goals for it long-term. :)
> (It's possible to edit in the regular MediaWiki skin on your iPhone...
> it just *really sucks*. >:)

I've edited in Firefox on an Eee 701 okay. Monobook's too big for it
really. (Classic is okay 800px wide.) The mobile skin would be good on
those too. So yeah, edit links ++

- d.

Re: Mobile gateway testing

Brion Vibber-3
On 2/19/09 4:14 AM, Angela wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 9:42 PM, David Gerard<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> I notice it doesn't have edit links as yet - any plans?
>
> Good question. Is this the same thing as the "new mobile platform"
> that was announced before or not? I thought the point of that was to
> enable more easier mobile editing.

That depends on how many people have been announcing new mobile
platforms. :)

In this work we're mainly targeting the popular has-a-good-browser
smartphones. These will be able to do decent editing at least for little
bits here and there, and creating a decent interface for doing that --
commenting, typo-fixing, slapping up pictures, maybe taking notes for
later "serious" editing -- would be great.

The first attack surface is a decent read-and-search UI, of course,
since that's going to be the biggest use.

-- brion

Re: Mobile gateway testing

David Gerard-2
2009/2/19 Brion Vibber <[hidden email]>:

> That depends on how many people have been announcing new mobile
> platforms. :)
> In this work we're mainly targeting the popular has-a-good-browser
> smartphones. These will be able to do decent editing at least for little
> bits here and there, and creating a decent interface for doing that --
> commenting, typo-fixing, slapping up pictures, maybe taking notes for
> later "serious" editing -- would be great.
> The first attack surface is a decent read-and-search UI, of course,
> since that's going to be the biggest use.

This looks good in a really narrow browser window, which I suppose is
the key issue.

- d.

Re: Mobile gateway testing

Chad
I think for anything other than casual browsing, using
native clients would be better. Perfect use of the API.
I've been trying to get one for Android into decent
shape.

-Chad

On Feb 19, 2009 6:03 PM, "Brion Vibber" <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 2/19/09 4:14 AM, Angela wrote: > On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 9:42 PM, David
Gerard<[hidden email]>...
That depends on how many people have been announcing new mobile
platforms. :)

In this work we're mainly targeting the popular has-a-good-browser
smartphones. These will be able to do decent editing at least for little
bits here and there, and creating a decent interface for doing that --
commenting, typo-fixing, slapping up pictures, maybe taking notes for
later "serious" editing -- would be great.

The first attack surface is a decent read-and-search UI, of course,
since that's going to be the biggest use.

-- brion

Re: Mobile gateway testing

Michael Rosenthal
The page history is completely missing, as well as a link to the
GFDL-copy, the mobile mirror is therefore not GFDL-conform.