Mobile sites of Indic Wikipedias

Srikanth Lakshmanan
Hi all,

Needless to repeat the <India-Indic-Mobile-Growth> story. But I was surprised even with that, many Indic wikipedias do not have a mobile site(or some have gone dead since they failed to update for MobileFrontend[1] changes), even the ones that had weren't very much usable. Lets not cite, mobile phones do not have fonts, no one uses Indic on mobile, we all know lot of people do use Opera-mini with complex script rendering support.

* Please visit <yourlanguage>.m.wikpedia.org and see if there is a page. If it has nothing but 'search, license, and action control' links, here[2] are the steps that an admin need to do to get a mobile site running with content. If you have problem in doing those, come and ask at #wikimedia-tech (or #mediawiki {?}).

* When I visited Tamil wikipedia mobile site, I was restricted to content that was put on mainpage, the links in it. Since my Symbian phone doesnt have Indic input system, I cant search anything. The solution to this is to have a list of articles in alphabetical order *and* display it in mobile front page, like Assamese wikipedians have done[3]. Many Indic wikis have this template, but few show it on main page. This might be incredibly useful on mobile versions.

More thoughts on improving Mobile sites welcome :)

Mobile sites are important since,

1. Lot of people will be using this.
2. The Wikipedia app uses this(?) [Correct me if am wrong]

Re: Mobile sites of Indic Wikipedias

Amir E. Aharoni
> Mobile sites are important since,
>
> 1. Lot of people will be using this.
> 2. The Wikipedia app uses this(?) [Correct me if am wrong]

You are not wrong. It does use it.

Creating a mobile main page for Wikipedia takes about a minute. All
you need is administrator rights and a tiny bit of HTML knowledge.
Srikanth already posted the link, but i'll post it again:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mobile_Projects/Mobile_Gateway#Mobile_homepage

The way it currently works is not perfect, but you really should do this.

We are trying to work on fonts support, too, within the limitations of
the mobile operating systems.

http://aharoni.wordpress.com
‪“We're living in pieces,
I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬

Re: Mobile sites of Indic Wikipedias

Harish-17
It's done in Kannada!!

If anybody is interested, they can view it at http://kn.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ and give feedbacks

2012/2/27 Amir E. Aharoni <[hidden email]>
> Mobile sites are important since,
>
> 1. Lot of people will be using this.
> 2. The Wikipedia app uses this(?) [Correct me if am wrong]

You are not wrong. It does use it.

Creating a mobile main page for Wikipedia takes about a minute. All
you need is administrator rights and a tiny bit of HTML knowledge.
Srikanth already posted the link, but i'll post it again:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mobile_Projects/Mobile_Gateway#Mobile_homepage

The way it currently works is not perfect, but you really should do this.

We are trying to work on fonts support, too, within the limitations of
the mobile operating systems.

http://aharoni.wordpress.com
‪“We're living in pieces,
I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬

Harish

Re: Mobile sites of Indic Wikipedias

Tomasz Finc-2
Woot! I re-tweeted it under @WikimediaMobile

--tomasz

On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 11:37 AM, Harish <[hidden email]> wrote:
It's done in Kannada!!

If anybody is interested, they can view it at http://kn.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ and give feedbacks

2012/2/27 Amir E. Aharoni <[hidden email]>

> Mobile sites are important since,
>
> 1. Lot of people will be using this.
> 2. The Wikipedia app uses this(?) [Correct me if am wrong]

You are not wrong. It does use it.

Creating a mobile main page for Wikipedia takes about a minute. All
you need is administrator rights and a tiny bit of HTML knowledge.
Srikanth already posted the link, but i'll post it again:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mobile_Projects/Mobile_Gateway#Mobile_homepage

The way it currently works is not perfect, but you really should do this.

We are trying to work on fonts support, too, within the limitations of
the mobile operating systems.

http://aharoni.wordpress.com
‪“We're living in pieces,
I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬

Harish

Re: Mobile sites of Indic Wikipedias

Saroj Dhakal
Mobile site for newiki is up, already , thanks @WikimediaMobile

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 3:55 AM, Tomasz Finc <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Woot! I re-tweeted it under @WikimediaMobile
>
> --tomasz
>

> On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 11:37 AM, Harish <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> It's done in Kannada!!
>>
>> If anybody is interested, they can view it at http://kn.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ and give feedbacks

>>> You are not wrong. It does use it.
>>>
>>> Creating a mobile main page for Wikipedia takes about a minute. All
>>> you need is administrator rights and a tiny bit of HTML knowledge.
>>> Srikanth already posted the link, but i'll post it again:
>>> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mobile_Projects/Mobile_Gateway#Mobile_homepage
>>>
>>> The way it currently works is not perfect, but you really should do this.
>>>
>>> We are trying to work on fonts support, too, within the limitations of
>>> the mobile operating systems.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Amir Elisha Aharoni · אָמִיר אֱלִישָׁע אַהֲרוֹנִי
>>> http://aharoni.wordpress.com
>>> ‪“We're living in pieces,
>>> I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬

>> --
>> Harish
>> 9740069624

Re: Mobile sites of Indic Wikipedias

Subhashish Panigrahi-3
Can you guys write "How to create the mobile main page", the meta link is hard to make me understand how I can enable it!

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 9:40 AM, Saroj Dhakal <[hidden email]> wrote:
Mobile site for newiki is up, already , thanks @WikimediaMobile

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 3:55 AM, Tomasz Finc <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Woot! I re-tweeted it under @WikimediaMobile
>
> --tomasz
>

> On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 11:37 AM, Harish <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> It's done in Kannada!!
>>
>> If anybody is interested, they can view it at http://kn.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ and give feedbacks

>>> You are not wrong. It does use it.
>>>
>>> Creating a mobile main page for Wikipedia takes about a minute. All
>>> you need is administrator rights and a tiny bit of HTML knowledge.
>>> Srikanth already posted the link, but i'll post it again:
>>> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mobile_Projects/Mobile_Gateway#Mobile_homepage
>>>
>>> The way it currently works is not perfect, but you really should do this.
>>>
>>> We are trying to work on fonts support, too, within the limitations of
>>> the mobile operating systems.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Amir Elisha Aharoni · אָמִיר אֱלִישָׁע אַהֲרוֹנִי
>>> http://aharoni.wordpress.com
>>> ‪“We're living in pieces,
>>> I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬

>> --
>> Harish
>> 9740069624

Subha

Re: Mobile sites of Indic Wikipedias

jayanta nath-2
Hi, Subha I am not now sysop at orwiki, so please Go to you main page,--> edit--> then

find  <div id="MainPage-tfa">

and replace with

I think its works.

--
With Warm Regards,
Jayanta Nath

Re: Mobile sites of Indic Wikipedias

Subhashish Panigrahi
Thanks a lot Jayanta, at least a not-so-tech-savvy person like me will be able to understand.

I have made the changes as u asked at http://or.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=%E0%AC%AA%E0%AD%8D%E0%AC%B0%E0%AC%A7%E0%AC%BE%E0%AC%A8_%E0%AC%AA%E0%AD%83%E0%AC%B7%E0%AD%8D%E0%AC%A0%E0%AC%BE&action=historysubmit&diff=67118&oldid=64050.

I think the changes will appear in a while.

On 29 February 2012 10:56, Jayanta Nath <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi, Subha I am not now sysop at orwiki, so please Go to you main page,--> edit--> then

find  <div id="MainPage-tfa">

and replace with

I think its works.

--
With Warm Regards,
Jayanta Nath
Calcutta,West Bengal

Subha

Re: Mobile sites of Indic Wikipedias

Amir E. Aharoni
Subhashish, please try writing just this:

2012/2/29 Subhashish Panigrahi <[hidden email]>

> Thanks a lot Jayanta, at least a not-so-tech-savvy person like me will be
> able to understand.
>
> I have made the changes as u asked at
> http://or.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=%E0%AC%AA%E0%AD%8D%E0%AC%B0%E0%AC%A7%E0%AC%BE%E0%AC%A8_%E0%AC%AA%E0%AD%83%E0%AC%B7%E0%AD%8D%E0%AC%A0%E0%AC%BE&action=historysubmit&diff=67118&oldid=64050.
>
> I think the changes will appear in a while.
>
> On 29 February 2012 10:56, Jayanta Nath <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi, Subha I am not now sysop at orwiki, so please Go to you main page,-->
>> edit--> then
>>
>> find  <div id="MainPage-tfa">
>>
>> and replace with

>> I think its works.
>>

>> --
>> With Warm Regards,
>> Jayanta Nath
>> Calcutta,West Bengal

> Subha

Re: Mobile sites of Indic Wikipedias

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
I blogged twice today about mobile. Once because of Kannada but more relevantly because I learned that other projects are now also supported under Wikipedia mobile. The consequence is that you may want to check out the mobile main page for other projects in your language.
Thanks,
      Gerard

http://ultimategerardm.blogspot.com/2012/02/have-mobile-have-menu.html

It's done now for Odia (http://or.m.wikipedia.org), thanks Jayanta and Amir helped me, but the instructions given is so much techie to be digestible for me :-)

On 29 February 2012 15:06, Gerard Meijssen <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hoi,
I blogged twice today about mobile. Once because of Kannada but more relevantly because I learned that other projects are now also supported under Wikipedia mobile. The consequence is that you may want to check out the mobile main page for other projects in your language.
Thanks,
      Gerard

http://ultimategerardm.blogspot.com/2012/02/have-mobile-have-menu.html

On 29 February 2012 07:27, Amir E. Aharoni <[hidden email]> wrote:
Subhashish, please try writing just this:

2012/2/29 Subhashish Panigrahi <[hidden email]>

> Thanks a lot Jayanta, at least a not-so-tech-savvy person like me will be
> able to understand.
>
> I have made the changes as u asked at
> http://or.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=%E0%AC%AA%E0%AD%8D%E0%AC%B0%E0%AC%A7%E0%AC%BE%E0%AC%A8_%E0%AC%AA%E0%AD%83%E0%AC%B7%E0%AD%8D%E0%AC%A0%E0%AC%BE&action=historysubmit&diff=67118&oldid=64050.
>
> I think the changes will appear in a while.
>
> On 29 February 2012 10:56, Jayanta Nath <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi, Subha I am not now sysop at orwiki, so please Go to you main page,-->
>> edit--> then
>>
>> find  <div id="MainPage-tfa">
>>
>> and replace with

>> I think its works.
>>

>> --
>> With Warm Regards,
>> Jayanta Nath
>> Calcutta,West Bengal

> Subha

Subha

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 21:21, Subhashish Panigrahi <[hidden email]> wrote:
but the instructions given is so much techie to be digestible for me :-)

So please fix it, update the page with whats missing that would help another person like you, after all its a wiki :)

--
Regards
Srikanth.L

Re: Mobile sites of Indic Wikipedias

Amir E. Aharoni
This is very important and it is definitely in our plan.

Narayam as it is is more suited for desktop and laptop environments.
It is more likely that we shall push the development and distribution
of proper on-screen keyboard for mobile devices.

2012/3/16 Subhashish Panigrahi <[hidden email]>:

> I can read articles from Indian language Wikipedias, but there is no option
> to type in the search box, is that possible to enable Narayam in mobile
> sites with little simplification and as the default tool for typing in case
> of mobile Indic sites?
>
> On 29 February 2012 22:24, Srikanth Lakshmanan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 21:21, Subhashish Panigrahi
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> but the instructions given is so much techie to be digestible for me :-)
>>

>> So please fix it, update the page with whats missing that would help
>> another person like you, after all its a wiki :)
>>
>> --
>> Regards
>> Srikanth.L

> Subha

Re: Mobile sites of Indic Wikipedias

Subhashish Panigrahi
And can one of you guys write a blog in the blog.wikimedia.org which is short and explains how people using A) Java based OS, B) Symbian, C) Android can browse Indic WPs (All in one blog which a non-tech savvy guy can understand :D )

Many people keep on asking the same thing, the only thing to redirect is Gerard's blog and asking them to use Firefox on mobiles.

On 16 March 2012 12:55, Amir E. Aharoni <[hidden email]> wrote:
This is very important and it is definitely in our plan.

Narayam as it is is more suited for desktop and laptop environments.
It is more likely that we shall push the development and distribution
of proper on-screen keyboard for mobile devices.

2012/3/16 Subhashish Panigrahi <[hidden email]>:
> I can read articles from Indian language Wikipedias, but there is no option
> to type in the search box, is that possible to enable Narayam in mobile
> sites with little simplification and as the default tool for typing in case
> of mobile Indic sites?
>
> On 29 February 2012 22:24, Srikanth Lakshmanan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 21:21, Subhashish Panigrahi
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> but the instructions given is so much techie to be digestible for me :-)
>>

>> So please fix it, update the page with whats missing that would help
>> another person like you, after all its a wiki :)
>>
>> --
>> Regards
>> Srikanth.L

> Subha

Subha

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 13:03, Subhashish Panigrahi <[hidden email]> wrote:
And can one of you guys write a blog in the blog.wikimedia.org which is short and explains how people using A) Java based OS, B) Symbian, C) Android can browse Indic WPs (All in one blog which a non-tech savvy guy can understand :D )

There is only one way for all those people. Use Opera mini. Read this blogpost[1] which explains in terms.

There is also a huge growth in mobile stats this month, 100% (estimated) almost for all Indic projects, which might be happening due to Mobile apps + mobile front page update which many wikipedia's did a few days back. It would be interested to see the source of traffic for these and I guess we would have more stats would be made available by the Mobile team soon. Having an input method on mobile will help a lot since many people can search and explore more pages on mobile as opposed to just following links. Android phones already have apps for Indic input. Even symbian has some, but having an on-site typing solution will help a lot just as did for the desktop site.

Re: Mobile sites of Indic Wikipedias

Srikanth Ramakrishnan-2
Hey guys, just to let you know, Quillpad.in has an application to type
in Indic scripts, on Basic Java phones, though it isn't free. Also,
there is an app called MatruBhasha which offers pretty much the same
functionality. I got it from Tata Docomo's server.

Srikanth Ramakrishnan.
Wikipedia Coimbatore Meetup on February 12th.
Aliens invaded Tamil Nadu, left their Spacship and now it is a Toll Plaza.
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:IVRCL-Vijayamangalam-Toll-Plaza.JPG

Re: Mobile sites of Indic Wikipedias

शंतनू

On 16/03/12 4:52 PM, Srikanth Ramakrishnan wrote:
> Hey guys, just to let you know, Quillpad.in has an application to type
> in Indic scripts, on Basic Java phones, though it isn't free. Also,
> there is an app called MatruBhasha which offers pretty much the same
> functionality. I got it from Tata Docomo's server.

One can always open the site in web-browser and type in the native
language of the site using Narayam IME which is already available for
most of the languages. Any specific reason for using the application
instead of the native Narayam IME? Maybe someone can add those missing
features to Narayam.

--
शंतनू

Re: Mobile sites of Indic Wikipedias

Srikanth Ramakrishnan-2
Hi Shantanoo, when I sent that mail in March, I was uncomfortable with Narayam. I have since then, stopped using editing using my mobile [it still is an entry level Java phone]. However, even today, on Wikidata, [where I spend most of my editing time] I prefer using Quillpad over the built in tools.
As for my phone, I prefer Quillpad over other tools.

On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 10:34 PM, शंतनू <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 16/03/12 4:52 PM, Srikanth Ramakrishnan wrote:
> Hey guys, just to let you know, Quillpad.in has an application to type
> in Indic scripts, on Basic Java phones, though it isn't free. Also,
> there is an app called MatruBhasha which offers pretty much the same
> functionality. I got it from Tata Docomo's server.

One can always open the site in web-browser and type in the native
language of the site using Narayam IME which is already available for
most of the languages. Any specific reason for using the application
instead of the native Narayam IME? Maybe someone can add those missing
features to Narayam.

--
शंतनू

Srikanth Ramakrishnan.

Sign this petition to introduce Volvo buses in Coimbatore city:

Re: Mobile sites of Indic Wikipedias

शंतनू
Hi Srikanth,
I would suggest you to try it now. Many things have been improved over the period. Feel free to share your opinions/feedback which can be useful to make user experience from uncomfortable to comfortable :).

--
शंतनू