Quantcast

Models for developing underserved topics on Wikipedia

Models for developing underserved topics on Wikipedia

Heather Ford-3
Hi all,

I've started working on a paper with folks who ran a fascinating project
called "Wikipedia Primary School" [1] where they investigated different
mechanisms or models for eliciting and developing Wikipedia content that
was relevant to the South African national primary school curriculum. We
are currently writing a paper that assesses each of the different types of
"interventions" that were tested/tried out in trying to fill in these gaps
- including editathons, contests and collaborations with scientific
journals. It seems as though there are a host of different types of models
that are used to fill in Wikipedia's gaps beyond the original "volunteer
edits what interests them in their spare time" model (e.g. Wikipedians in
residence, editing Wikipedia as part of class assignments). If anyone has
any good references to work already undertaken in this area please let me
know!

Many thanks,
Heather.

[1] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_Primary_School

Dr Heather Ford
University Academic Fellow
School of Media and Communications <http://media.leeds.ac.uk/>, The
University of Leeds
w: hblog.org / EthnographyMatters.net <http://ethnographymatters.net/> / t:
@hfordsa <http://www.twitter.com/hfordsa>

Re: Models for developing underserved topics on Wikipedia

Ziko van Dijk-3
Hello,

Does it have to be Wikipedia? Wikipedia is a reference work for
"everybody", but not especially written for pupils in the primary education.

We discussed this kind of issues at the foundation of the Klexikon, see our
report in English:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:English_version_Konzept_Wikipedia_f%C3%BCr_Kinder.pdf

Kind regards,
Ziko

> Hi all,
>
> I've started working on a paper with folks who ran a fascinating project
> called "Wikipedia Primary School" [1] where they investigated different
> mechanisms or models for eliciting and developing Wikipedia content that
> was relevant to the South African national primary school curriculum. We
> are currently writing a paper that assesses each of the different types of
> "interventions" that were tested/tried out in trying to fill in these gaps
> - including editathons, contests and collaborations with scientific
> journals. It seems as though there are a host of different types of models
> that are used to fill in Wikipedia's gaps beyond the original "volunteer
> edits what interests them in their spare time" model (e.g. Wikipedians in
> residence, editing Wikipedia as part of class assignments). If anyone has
> any good references to work already undertaken in this area please let me
> know!
>
> Many thanks,
> Heather.
>
> [1] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_Primary_School
>
> Dr Heather Ford
> University Academic Fellow
> School of Media and Communications <http://media.leeds.ac.uk/>, The
> University of Leeds
> w: hblog.org / EthnographyMatters.net <http://ethnographymatters.net/> /
> t:
> @hfordsa <http://www.twitter.com/hfordsa>

Re: Models for developing underserved topics on Wikipedia

Andrew Krizhanovsky
Great project! Thank you for information.

There is the discussion about the multilingual project name at page 33-34.
I like the name Wikischool :)

Best regards,
Andrew Krizhanovsky.

On 4 May 2017 at 18:45, Ziko van Dijk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Does it have to be Wikipedia? Wikipedia is a reference work for
> "everybody", but not especially written for pupils in the primary education.
>
> We discussed this kind of issues at the foundation of the Klexikon, see our
> report in English:
> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:English_version_Konzept_Wikipedia_f%C3%BCr_Kinder.pdf
>
> Kind regards,
> Ziko

>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've started working on a paper with folks who ran a fascinating project
>> called "Wikipedia Primary School" [1] where they investigated different
>> mechanisms or models for eliciting and developing Wikipedia content that
>> was relevant to the South African national primary school curriculum. We
>> are currently writing a paper that assesses each of the different types of
>> "interventions" that were tested/tried out in trying to fill in these gaps
>> - including editathons, contests and collaborations with scientific
>> journals. It seems as though there are a host of different types of models
>> that are used to fill in Wikipedia's gaps beyond the original "volunteer
>> edits what interests them in their spare time" model (e.g. Wikipedians in
>> residence, editing Wikipedia as part of class assignments). If anyone has
>> any good references to work already undertaken in this area please let me
>> know!
>>
>> Many thanks,
>> Heather.
>>
>> [1] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_Primary_School
>>
>> Dr Heather Ford
>> University Academic Fellow
>> School of Media and Communications <http://media.leeds.ac.uk/>, The
>> University of Leeds
>> w: hblog.org / EthnographyMatters.net <http://ethnographymatters.net/> /
>> t:
>> @hfordsa <http://www.twitter.com/hfordsa>

Re: Models for developing underserved topics on Wikipedia

Maria Cruz
Hi Heather,
this sounds really interesting. Are you asking about Wikimedia programs?
We have toolkits, guides and data reports to share about 6 different
programs, including WiR, but I'm not sure if this is what you mean?

Please let me know.

Thanks!

María

*María Cruz * \\  Communications and Outreach project manager, L&E
Team \\ Wikimedia
Foundation, Inc.
[hidden email]  |  Twitter:  @marianarra_
<https://twitter.com/marianarra_>

On Thu, May 4, 2017 at 5:44 AM, Heather Ford <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've started working on a paper with folks who ran a fascinating project
> called "Wikipedia Primary School" [1] where they investigated different
> mechanisms or models for eliciting and developing Wikipedia content that
> was relevant to the South African national primary school curriculum. We
> are currently writing a paper that assesses each of the different types of
> "interventions" that were tested/tried out in trying to fill in these gaps
> - including editathons, contests and collaborations with scientific
> journals. It seems as though there are a host of different types of models
> that are used to fill in Wikipedia's gaps beyond the original "volunteer
> edits what interests them in their spare time" model (e.g. Wikipedians in
> residence, editing Wikipedia as part of class assignments). If anyone has
> any good references to work already undertaken in this area please let me
> know!
>
> Many thanks,
> Heather.
>
> [1] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_Primary_School
>
> Dr Heather Ford
> University Academic Fellow
> School of Media and Communications <http://media.leeds.ac.uk/>, The
> University of Leeds
> w: hblog.org / EthnographyMatters.net <http://ethnographymatters.net/> /
> t:
> @hfordsa <http://www.twitter.com/hfordsa>

Re: Models for developing underserved topics on Wikipedia

Aaron Halfaker-2
Hi Heather!

I've been working on methods for measuring content gaps and showing when
they appeared and were closed.

See https://blog.wikimedia.org/2017/03/07/the-keilana-effect/ for a summary
and https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Interpolating_quality_
dynamics_in_Wikipedia_and_demonstrating_the_Keilana_Effect for a long-form
discussion of the methods.

I've got a complete dataset of per-article quality assessments for all
articles in English Wikipedia

Halfaker, Aaron; Sarabadani, Amir (2016): Monthly Wikipedia article quality
predictions. figshare. https://doi.org/10.6084/m9.figshare.3859800.v3

I'm working hard to get that dataset hosted on Quarry so that it would be
easier experiment with for arbitrary new cross-sections by anyone who is
interested.  But we've hit some technical hurdles.  See
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T146718

On Thu, May 4, 2017 at 12:29 PM, Andrew Krizhanovsky <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Great project! Thank you for information.
>
> There is the discussion about the multilingual project name at page 33-34.
> I like the name Wikischool :)
>
> Best regards,
> Andrew Krizhanovsky.
>
> On 4 May 2017 at 18:45, Ziko van Dijk <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Does it have to be Wikipedia? Wikipedia is a reference work for
> > "everybody", but not especially written for pupils in the primary
> education.
> >
> > We discussed this kind of issues at the foundation of the Klexikon, see
> our
> > report in English:
> > https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:English_version_
> Konzept_Wikipedia_f%C3%BCr_Kinder.pdf
> >
> > Kind regards,
> > Ziko

> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> I've started working on a paper with folks who ran a fascinating project
> >> called "Wikipedia Primary School" [1] where they investigated different
> >> mechanisms or models for eliciting and developing Wikipedia content that
> >> was relevant to the South African national primary school curriculum. We
> >> are currently writing a paper that assesses each of the different types
> of
> >> "interventions" that were tested/tried out in trying to fill in these
> gaps
> >> - including editathons, contests and collaborations with scientific
> >> journals. It seems as though there are a host of different types of
> models
> >> that are used to fill in Wikipedia's gaps beyond the original "volunteer
> >> edits what interests them in their spare time" model (e.g. Wikipedians
> in
> >> residence, editing Wikipedia as part of class assignments). If anyone
> has
> >> any good references to work already undertaken in this area please let
> me
> >> know!
> >>
> >> Many thanks,
> >> Heather.
> >>
> >> [1] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_Primary_School
> >>
> >> Dr Heather Ford
> >> University Academic Fellow
> >> School of Media and Communications <http://media.leeds.ac.uk/>, The
> >> University of Leeds
> >> w: hblog.org / EthnographyMatters.net <http://ethnographymatters.net/>
> /
> >> t:
> >> @hfordsa <http://www.twitter.com/hfordsa>

Re: Models for developing underserved topics on Wikipedia

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
The study by Aaron is about English Wikipedia and concentrates on female
scientists. Great study but when you want to know about the coverage of
English Wikipedia compared to missing knowledge, there are other more
relevant approaches. I blogged about one [1]. There are many categories
with a definition for its content where English is missing a substantial
number of articles. I blogged about that as well [2].

As your need content relating to South Africa, in Wikidata we included all
the current parliamentarians of South Africa. Most do/did not have an
article. There are many places in SA that do not have an article and
neither does their Mayor. In the Black Lunch Table project artists from the
African Diaspora are documented and when they emigrate they are in focus.
It follows that South African artists can do with some loving tender care.
It is easy to come up with relevant subjects that are missing.

My advise to you is: consider the subject in your curriculum. Google for
South African subjects relating to what is on topic and write, expand
curate as is needed. Talk in the classroom about how Wikipedia is failing
South Africa and discuss what can be done and how you make the biggest
impact.. IMHO it starts with well connected stubs.

Do yourself a favour get some friendly admins onboard and protect yourself
against deletionists. For them South Africa is not what they know so how
can it be notable?
Thanks,
     GerardM

[1]
http://ultimategerardm.blogspot.nl/2017/04/wikidata-user-stories-sum-of-all.html
[2]
http://ultimategerardm.blogspot.nl/2017/04/wikipedia-research-world-famous-in.html

On 4 May 2017 at 23:37, Aaron Halfaker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Heather!
>
> I've been working on methods for measuring content gaps and showing when
> they appeared and were closed.
>
> See https://blog.wikimedia.org/2017/03/07/the-keilana-effect/ for a
> summary
> and https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Interpolating_quality_
> dynamics_in_Wikipedia_and_demonstrating_the_Keilana_Effect for a long-form
> discussion of the methods.
>
> I've got a complete dataset of per-article quality assessments for all
> articles in English Wikipedia
>
> Halfaker, Aaron; Sarabadani, Amir (2016): Monthly Wikipedia article quality
> predictions. figshare. https://doi.org/10.6084/m9.figshare.3859800.v3
>
> I'm working hard to get that dataset hosted on Quarry so that it would be
> easier experiment with for arbitrary new cross-sections by anyone who is
> interested.  But we've hit some technical hurdles.  See
> https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T146718
>
> On Thu, May 4, 2017 at 12:29 PM, Andrew Krizhanovsky <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Great project! Thank you for information.
> >
> > There is the discussion about the multilingual project name at page
> 33-34.
> > I like the name Wikischool :)
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Andrew Krizhanovsky.
> >
> > On 4 May 2017 at 18:45, Ziko van Dijk <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > Does it have to be Wikipedia? Wikipedia is a reference work for
> > > "everybody", but not especially written for pupils in the primary
> > education.
> > >
> > > We discussed this kind of issues at the foundation of the Klexikon, see
> > our
> > > report in English:
> > > https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:English_version_
> > Konzept_Wikipedia_f%C3%BCr_Kinder.pdf
> > >
> > > Kind regards,
> > > Ziko

> project
> different
> that
> We
> types
> > of
> > gaps
> > models
> "volunteer
> > in
> > has
> > me

> > /

Re: Models for developing underserved topics on Wikipedia

Heather Ford-3
Thank you so much for your replies! I'm mostly interested in research that
has been done to study the value/impact of different types of
interventions. But this is all useful, thank you!

On 5 May 2017 07:07, "Gerard Meijssen" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> see
> > > our
> > > Konzept_Wikipedia_f%C3%BCr_Kinder.pdf

> > project
> > different
> > that
> curriculum.
> > We
> > types
> > > of
> these
> > > gaps
> > > models
> > "volunteer
> Wikipedians
> > > in
> anyone
> > > has
> let
> > > me

> net/
> > >
> > > /

Re: Models for developing underserved topics on Wikipedia

Oh I nearly forgot about this:

*The Success and Failure of Quality Improvement Projects in Peer Production
Communities*

> Peer production communities have been proven to be successful at creating
> valuable artefacts, with Wikipedia as a prime example. However, a number of
> studies have shown that work in these communities tends to be of uneven
> quality and certain content areas receive more attention than others. In
> this paper, we examine the efficacy of a range of targeted strategies to
> increase the quality of under-attended content areas in peer production
> communities. Mining data from five quality improvement projects in the
> English Wikipedia, the largest peer production community in the world, we
> show that certain types of strategies (e.g. creating artefacts from
> scratch) have better quality outcomes than others (e.g. improving existing
> artefacts), even if both are done by a similar cohort of participants. We
> discuss the implications of our findings for Wikipedia as well as other
> peer production communities.

Warncke-Wang, M., Ayukaev, V. R., Hecht, B., & Terveen, L. G. (2015,
February). The success and failure of quality improvement projects in peer
production communities. In *Proceedings of the 18th ACM Conference on
Computer Supported Cooperative Work & Social Computing* (pp. 743-756). ACM.
http://www-users.cs.umn.edu/~morten/publications/cscw2015-improvementprojects.pdf

On Fri, May 5, 2017 at 3:46 AM, Heather Ford <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> is
> > > interested.  But we've hit some technical hurdles.  See
> > > https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T146718

> > > 33-34.

> > see

> > > project
> > > different
> content
> > > that
> > curriculum.
> > > We
> > > types
> > these
> scientific
> of
> > > "volunteer
> > Wikipedians
> > anyone
> > let

> The
> > net/

Re: Models for developing underserved topics on Wikipedia

Gabriel Mugar
Hi Heather,
I imagine the Wiki Education Foundation has data on the impact of their work on article quality. The pilot project for the foundation in 2010 was aimed at improving public policy articles.
I hope this helps.
Gabe

> [...]
>>>
>>> I'm working hard to get that dataset hosted on Quarry so that it would be
>>> easier experiment with for arbitrary new cross-sections by anyone who is
>>> interested.  But we've hit some technical hurdles.  See
>>> https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T146718

>>> 33-34.

>> see

>>> project
>>> different
>>> that
>> curriculum.
>>> We
>>> types
>> these
>>> "volunteer
>> Wikipedians
>> anyone
>> let

>> net/

Re: Models for developing underserved topics on Wikipedia

Relevant to Gabriel's comment: https://wikiedu.org/blog/2016/
08/31/academic-content/

Kevin is around this mailing list sometimes.  Maybe he can give us an
update.  :)

On Fri, May 5, 2017 at 10:22 AM, Gabriel Mugar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >> can it be notable?
> >> Thanks,
> >>     GerardM
> >>

> >> [1]
> >> http://ultimategerardm.blogspot.nl/2017/04/wikidata-
> >> user-stories-sum-of-all.html
> >> [2]
> >> http://ultimategerardm.blogspot.nl/2017/04/wikipedia-
> >> research-world-famous-in.html

> when

> >> long-form

> >> quality

> be
> is

> >> see

> >> curriculum.
> >> these
> >> Wikipedians
> >> anyone
> >> let

> >> net/

Re: Models for developing underserved topics on Wikipedia

Morten Wang
I was going to chime in here and mention our 2015 CSCW paper, but Aaron
beat me to it, thanks Aaron! :)

There are several related papers in our lit. review, such as the work
studying the Public Policy Initiative (Lampe et al), projects related to
the Wikipedia Education Program/APS Initiative (Farzan et al), and
WikiProjects' Collaboration of the Week (Zhu et al). We also add the
WikiCup in our study.

Not sure what other papers to recommend in this space at the moment, good
luck!

Cheers,
Morten

On 5 May 2017 at 08:24, Aaron Halfaker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Relevant to Gabriel's comment: https://wikiedu.org/blog/2016/
> 08/31/academic-content/
>
> Kevin is around this mailing list sometimes.  Maybe he can give us an
> update.  :)
>
> On Fri, May 5, 2017 at 10:22 AM, Gabriel Mugar <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi Heather,
> > I imagine the Wiki Education Foundation has data on the impact of their
> > work on article quality. The pilot project for the foundation in 2010 was
> > aimed at improving public policy articles.
> > I hope this helps.
> > Gabe
> >
> > > On May 5, 2017, at 4:46 AM, Heather Ford <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > Thank you so much for your replies! I'm mostly interested in research
> > that
> > > has been done to study the value/impact of different types of
> > > interventions. But this is all useful, thank you!

> female
> of
> categories
> substantial

> > all
> from
> > the
> > focus.
> > care.

> for
> > failing

> > yourself
> how

> > when

> all

> figshare.3859800.v3

> would
> > be
> > is

> content
> scientific
> of

> The

Re: Models for developing underserved topics on Wikipedia

Heather Ford-3
Thanks so much, yes! I did find this in my initial search and it has been
super useful. Also, thanks, Aaron for the other wikiedu link.

Best,

On 5 May 2017 at 16:49, Morten Wang <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I was going to chime in here and mention our 2015 CSCW paper, but Aaron
> beat me to it, thanks Aaron! :)
>
> There are several related papers in our lit. review, such as the work
> studying the Public Policy Initiative (Lampe et al), projects related to
> the Wikipedia Education Program/APS Initiative (Farzan et al), and
> WikiProjects' Collaboration of the Week (Zhu et al). We also add the
> WikiCup in our study.
>
> Not sure what other papers to recommend in this space at the moment, good
> luck!
>

> Cheers,
> Morten
>

> On 5 May 2017 at 08:24, Aaron Halfaker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Relevant to Gabriel's comment: https://wikiedu.org/blog/2016/
> > 08/31/academic-content/
> >
> > Kevin is around this mailing list sometimes.  Maybe he can give us an
> > update.  :)
> >
> > On Fri, May 5, 2017 at 10:22 AM, Gabriel Mugar <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Heather,
> > > I imagine the Wiki Education Foundation has data on the impact of their
> > > work on article quality. The pilot project for the foundation in 2010
> was
> > > aimed at improving public policy articles.
> > > I hope this helps.
> > > Gabe

> > > that

> > female
> > of
> more
> > categories
> > substantial

> included
> > > all
> an
> > from
> > > the
> > > focus.
> > > care.

> > for
> expand
> > > failing
> biggest

> > > yourself
> > how

> > > when

> quality_

> > all

> > figshare.3859800.v3

> > would
> > > be
> who
> > > is

> page

> Klexikon,

> > content
> different
> > scientific
> > of
> please

> > The
> http://ethnographymatters.

Re: Models for developing underserved topics on Wikipedia

Heather Ford-3
This is great, thank you, Ziko!

On 4 May 2017 at 16:45, Ziko van Dijk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Does it have to be Wikipedia? Wikipedia is a reference work for
> "everybody", but not especially written for pupils in the primary
> education.
>
> We discussed this kind of issues at the foundation of the Klexikon, see our
> report in English:
> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:English_version_
> Konzept_Wikipedia_f%C3%BCr_Kinder.pdf
>
> Kind regards,
> Ziko

> > Hi all,
> >
> > I've started working on a paper with folks who ran a fascinating project
> > called "Wikipedia Primary School" [1] where they investigated different
> > mechanisms or models for eliciting and developing Wikipedia content that
> > was relevant to the South African national primary school curriculum. We
> > are currently writing a paper that assesses each of the different types
> of
> > "interventions" that were tested/tried out in trying to fill in these
> gaps
> > - including editathons, contests and collaborations with scientific
> > journals. It seems as though there are a host of different types of
> models
> > that are used to fill in Wikipedia's gaps beyond the original "volunteer
> > edits what interests them in their spare time" model (e.g. Wikipedians in
> > residence, editing Wikipedia as part of class assignments). If anyone has
> > any good references to work already undertaken in this area please let me
> > know!
> >
> > Many thanks,
> > Heather.
> >
> > [1] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_Primary_School
> >
> > Dr Heather Ford
> > University Academic Fellow
> > School of Media and Communications <http://media.leeds.ac.uk/>, The
> > University of Leeds
> > w: hblog.org / EthnographyMatters.net <http://ethnographymatters.net/> /
> > t:
> > @hfordsa <http://www.twitter.com/hfordsa>

Re: Models for developing underserved topics on Wikipedia

Heather Ford-3
Thanks so much for your reply, Gerard. I'm mostly interested in discovering
research that has analysed the success of different approaches, but it's
great that you're analysing missing information on WP. Thanks for sharing
this!

On 5 May 2017 at 07:06, Gerard Meijssen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> see
> > > our
> > > Konzept_Wikipedia_f%C3%BCr_Kinder.pdf

> > project
> > different
> > that
> curriculum.
> > We
> > types
> > > of
> these
> > > gaps
> > > models
> > "volunteer
> Wikipedians
> > > in
> anyone
> > > has
> let
> > > me

> net/
> > >
> > > /

Re: Models for developing underserved topics on Wikipedia

if it helps, we have done evaluation reports in 2013 and 2015 on
edit-a-thons, writing workshops, Wikipedoa Education Program, and other
Wikimedia programs. You can find both reports here:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:Evaluation/Evaluation_reports

Let me know if you have any questions.

Best,