Moderators?

Jimmy Wales

For some reason I am listed as a moderator on this mailing list.  I do
read it, but I seldom have time to do moderation tasks.  If there is
another moderator, perhaps he or she could remove me from moderation?
If there is no other moderator, perhaps we need one?

Re: Moderators?

Michael Bimmler
On Feb 5, 2008 11:28 AM, Jimmy Wales <[hidden email]> wrote:

> For some reason I am listed as a moderator on this mailing list.  I do
> read it, but I seldom have time to do moderation tasks.  If there is
> another moderator, perhaps he or she could remove me from moderation?
> If there is no other moderator, perhaps we need one?

Officially, you seem to be the only list administrator. The question
is probably rather, whether anyone besides you has also got the list
password ;-)

Michael

Re: Moderators?

Felipe Ortega
If you are thinking about adding a moderator, I will be happy to act as such for this list. I usually read it, it's useful and it does not have an excessive amount of traffic, so I would like to actively contribute to maintain it.

Regards,

Felipe Ortega.

Michael Bimmler <[hidden email]> escribió:
On Feb 5, 2008 11:28 AM, Jimmy Wales wrote:

> For some reason I am listed as a moderator on this mailing list. I do
> read it, but I seldom have time to do moderation tasks. If there is
> another moderator, perhaps he or she could remove me from moderation?
> If there is no other moderator, perhaps we need one?

Officially, you seem to be the only list administrator. The question
is probably rather, whether anyone besides you has also got the list
password ;-)

Michael

¿Con Mascota por primera vez? - Sé un mejor Amigo
Entra en Yahoo! Respuestas.

Re: Moderators?

Dirk Riehle-2
I already moderate the WikiSym wiki research list, which is equally
low traffic, so I can offer to take this one on too. --Dirk

On Feb 5, 2008 2:28 AM, Jimmy Wales <[hidden email]> wrote:

> For some reason I am listed as a moderator on this mailing list.  I do
> read it, but I seldom have time to do moderation tasks.  If there is
> another moderator, perhaps he or she could remove me from moderation?
> If there is no other moderator, perhaps we need one?

Phone: +1 650 215 3459
Web: http://www.riehle.org

Re: Moderators?

Cormac Lawler
On Feb 5, 2008 10:56 PM, Dirk Riehle <[hidden email]> wrote:
I already moderate the WikiSym wiki research list, which is equally
low traffic, so I can offer to take this one on too. --Dirk

I'd kinda like this list to be slightly more active - currently it's a bit more of an announce list. I'd like to develop a community of researchers who can share ideas, experiences, critiques etc., but I wonder if a mailing list is the best way though. The obvious question arises: how about a wiki? I'd like to offer Wikiversity [1] as a place where people interested could work and see what other people are working on - not replacing this list but augmenting it. Though if anyone has other ideas for a suitable medium or space, I'd love to hear them...

Cheers,
Cormac

[1] English Wikiversity: <http://en.wikiversity.org> ; Multilingual portal <http://www.wikiversity.org>

Research-Wiki

EUROPOL
Hi Cormac, hi everbody

I am new to this list and would appreciate sharing ideas / being part of such a research community.

As far as I see there are allready several wikis that try to collect persons involved in research:

and projects:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research/Research_Projects

Greetings

Marc Schwenzer

On 06.02.2008, at 10:29, Cormac Lawler wrote:

[...]

Actually, we already thought about creating a common knowledge-share space, possibly based in wiki technology but with many other useful tools. It could integrate many research sources about Wikipedia, currently scattered all over the web:

* WikiResearch at meta.wikimedia
* Wikimetrics at http://wm.sieheauch.de/, and other wiki bibliography sources (maybe, linked with Citeulike lists...).
* A common forum to exchange ideas and resources for research about Wikipedia.
* Most important thing: A common interface to ask Wikimedia Foundation for data sources. Wikimedia admins are (almost always) too busy to attend researchers' petititons. It's not rare to spend at least 3 months to obtain certain information sources, due to both contact and agreement delays. It's also frequent that certain common petitions show up again over time. With a central point to find resources, this problem would be mitigated, at least to some an extent point.

* Of course, a mailing-list would be also a benefit, possibly split into important subtopics: research-metrics, research-semantics, research-authoring...

Maybe Wikiversity could be a good starting point to integrate the whole thing.

Regards,

Felipe.
Cormac Lawler <[hidden email]> escribió:
[...]

Thanks Felipe and Marc,

Meta has been a useful resource to a point - however, the only actual research project that it generated, [[m:General User Survey]], was never actually realised. Apart from this, it served as an organising space for the [[m:Wikimedia Research Network]], and [[m:Research]] was mostly used for researchers to add their name to the list with a brief description of their research. But I never felt a genuine community of researchers there (apart from the short-lived WRN) - and this is always what I have hoped for. This would be more than a knowledge-share space to me - it would be a place for people to form and reformulate questions, to critique one another's work, and possibly develop some collaborative research projects. The case you cite of people coming into Wikimedia with lots of similar questions only reinforces to me that such a space would be useful. However, the knowledge-sharing aspect is also essential, in order to document what is available, and what has been done before - and I'd like to know what other tools you think would be useful/necessary. Finding relevant literature becomes more and more important with the increasing amount of literature being churned out on wikis - this would be facilitated by focused searching of bibliographies, but the human (ie community) element also comes into it. So, it's really more a shared workspace than a knowledge bank that I'm thinking of. I'd be thrilled to start (or continue) work on such a space on Wikiversity if there is some interest from this list.

Cormac

Actually, we already thought about creating a common knowledge-share space, possibly based in wiki technology but with many other useful tools. It could integrate many research sources about Wikipedia, currently scattered all over the web:

Re: Research-Wiki

phoebe ayers
I talk to wiki researchers fairly often -- both people who are
involved in projects already documented onwiki and people starting up
new ones in universities, etc -- and I usually suggest that they use
wiki-research-l as a way to get feedback on their ideas. I'm often
told though that it doesn't seem very useful, because the list is so
low traffic! Seems like kind of a chicken-and-egg problem.

It would be nice to have a dedicated spot to collect research
studies/documentation/work (maybe Wikiversity is the right spot?)
since right now it is spread out over several wikipedias, meta, and
other wikis besides. But a mailing list can also be helpful -- though
it seems like the main questions that gets asked and answered is "are
the wikipedia dumps up yet?" "anyone have one I can get?" etc. Maybe
we need a research FAQ! :)

-- phoebe

On Feb 6, 2008 5:35 AM, Marc Schwenzer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Cormac, hi everbody
>
> I am new to this list and would appreciate sharing ideas / being part of
> such a research community.
>
> As far as I see there are allready several wikis that try to collect persons
> involved in research:
>
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research
> http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedistik
>
> and projects:
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research/Research_Projects
>

> Greetings
>
> Marc Schwenzer
>

> On 06.02.2008, at 10:29, Cormac Lawler wrote:
>
> On Feb 5, 2008 10:56 PM, Dirk Riehle <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I already moderate the WikiSym wiki research list, which is equally
> > low traffic, so I can offer to take this one on too. --Dirk
>

> I'd kinda like this list to be slightly more active - currently it's a bit
> more of an announce list. I'd like to develop a community of researchers who
> can share ideas, experiences, critiques etc., but I wonder if a mailing list
> is the best way though. The obvious question arises: how about a wiki? I'd
> like to offer Wikiversity [1] as a place where people interested could work
> and see what other people are working on - not replacing this list but
> augmenting it. Though if anyone has other ideas for a suitable medium or
> space, I'd love to hear them...
>
> Cheers,
> Cormac
>
> [1] English Wikiversity: <http://en.wikiversity.org> ; Multilingual portal
> <http://www.wikiversity.org> _______________________________________________
> Wiki-research-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wiki-research-l

Re: Research-Wiki

Piotr Konieczny-2
phoebe ayers wrote:

> It would be nice to have a dedicated spot to collect research
> studies/documentation/work (maybe Wikiversity is the right spot?)
> since right now it is spread out over several wikipedias, meta, and
> other wikis besides.

About a year ago I have collected most of Wikipedia related research at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedia_in_academic_studies but
since than few have updated the page. In the end, it is a community
resource just as any wiki is: if nobody wants to do it, we will not have
such a database. It's that simple. So I invite everyone to contribute to
that page; being on Wikipedia is has the known set of advantages - it
benefits from Wikipedia fame and snowball effect (can you name other
wiki research databases off the top of your head?), it will never
disappear, we all (should) know how to add to it, it is watched over by
a significant community, etc.

--
Piotr Konieczny

"The problem about Wikipedia is, that it just works in reality, not in
theory."

Re: Research-Wiki

Cormac Lawler

On Feb 7, 2008 5:10 AM, Piotr Konieczny <[hidden email]> wrote:
phoebe ayers wrote:

> It would be nice to have a dedicated spot to collect research
> studies/documentation/work (maybe Wikiversity is the right spot?)
> since right now it is spread out over several wikipedias, meta, and
> other wikis besides.

About a year ago I have collected most of Wikipedia related research at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedia_in_academic_studies but
since than few have updated the page. In the end, it is a community
resource just as any wiki is: if nobody wants to do it, we will not have
such a database. It's that simple. So I invite everyone to contribute to
that page; being on Wikipedia is has the known set of advantages - it
benefits from Wikipedia fame and snowball effect (can you name other
wiki research databases off the top of your head?), it will never
disappear, we all (should) know how to add to it, it is watched over by
a significant community, etc.

There's a broader page on meta: <http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wiki_Research_Bibliography> but the best wiki bibliography by far is at <http://biblography.wikimedia.de> which unfortunately seems to be down at the moment. Wikiversity would just not compete as a bibliography (it lacks the funky search algorithms) - though we could import the meta page and start developing it as a part of a wider wiki research agenda. Wikiversity would be a good place for a workspace - but I'm not sure if Felipe was thinking of something more advanced (ie with wiki and other knowledge base features) as a "one stop shop".

 Cormac

Re: Research-Wiki

EUROPOL
Thank you Cormac!

I know of 4 lists, perhaps there are even some more:

http://bibliography.wikimedia.de/index.php
was another source that seems to be down by now

I guess first of all the overhead of keeping serveral lists / databases has to be reduced by linking all to the same page.  I think it won't matter then where it is located. Which is the most actual and sorted list?

Greetings

Marc

phoebe ayers wrote:

> It would be nice to have a dedicated spot to collect research
> studies/documentation/work (maybe Wikiversity is the right spot?)
> since right now it is spread out over several wikipedias, meta, and
> other wikis besides.

About a year ago I have collected most of Wikipedia related research at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedia_in_academic_studies but
since than few have updated the page. In the end, it is a community
resource just as any wiki is: if nobody wants to do it, we will not have
such a database. It's that simple. So I invite everyone to contribute to
that page; being on Wikipedia is has the known set of advantages - it
benefits from Wikipedia fame and snowball effect (can you name other
wiki research databases off the top of your head?), it will never
disappear, we all (should) know how to add to it, it is watched over by
a significant community, etc.

There's a broader page on meta: <http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wiki_Research_Bibliography> but the best wiki bibliography by far is at <http://biblography.wikimedia.de> which unfortunately seems to be down at the moment. Wikiversity would just not compete as a bibliography (it lacks the funky search algorithms) - though we could import the meta page and start developing it as a part of a wider wiki research agenda. Wikiversity would be a good place for a workspace - but I'm not sure if Felipe was thinking of something more advanced (ie with wiki and other knowledge base features) as a "one stop shop".

 Cormac

Re: Research-Wiki

Daniel Kinzler
Hello All

As I'm currently working on my major thesis about extracting a multilingual
thesaurus from wikipedia data, I have collected quite a bit of research
resources about wikipedia. Here are a few links:

* My Wikipedia Research link collection:
http://del.icio.us/brightbyte/wikipedia%2Bresearch
* Wikipedia tag on CiteULike: http://www.citeulike.org/tag/wikipedia
* Wikipedia group on CiteULike: http://www.citeulike.org/group/382/library
* My own wikipedia stuff there:
http://www.citeulike.org/user/brightbyte/tag/wikipedia
* Overview page for my thesis work: http://brightbyte.de/page/WikiWord

I hope this will be useful to someone. I mainly focused on Wikipedia as a
resource for linguistic and semantical analysis.

As to having a central place to coordinate and discuss research: yes, that would
be great. Though I'm also not sure of the best form. A good bibliography system
would sure help, and wiki-style flexible creation of topic pages, and some sort
of discussion system, and perhaps a "planet" style aggregated news feed?
Ideally, all this could be provided by a single system - I have discussed my
dreams about a Bibliography Thing / research platform a few weeks ago here:
http://brightbyte.de/page/The_Bibliography_Thing

Regards,
Daniel Kinzler,
aka Duesentrieb,
aka BrightByte

Re: Research-Wiki

Andrew Krizhanovsky
Hi, All.

I think the aclwiki has potential to cover papers and software related
to Wiki and science.

http://aclweb.org/aclwiki

Best regards,
Andrew Krizhanovsky.

Re: Research-Wiki

Daniel Kinzler
Andrew Krizhanovsky wrote:
> I think the aclwiki has potential to cover papers and software related
> to Wiki and science.

While that wiki looks quite relevant for the type of wiki(pedia) research *I* am
doing (thanks for the link), I don't think it would be the right place for
general "Wikipedia studies". Wikipedia studies can be about the social and
psychological aspects of working on a wiki, or about technical issues, like
syntax-independent storage of wikitext or decentralizing wiki infrastructure,
among other things. So, a wiki focused on linguistics wouldn't be the right
place, IMHO.

-- Daniel

Re: Research-Wiki

alain_desilets
Hello all,

I don't know if this has been mentioned already, but there is a mailing list about wiki research at large (not just wikipedia research).

[hidden email]

There is also an annual conference called WikiSym, which is also about wiki research at large:

www.wikisym.org

It's a great conference (and I'm not just saying this because I chaired it last year ;-)) which will have its fourth instalment Sept 8-10 in Porto, Portugal. I encourage anyone who is into wiki research at large to consider publishing there.

Maybe WikiSym could have an open wiki space where people could post relevant content (ex: bibliographies). Dirk, does WikiSym have such a thing? If not, do you think it might be a good idea to have one?

----
Alain Désilets, MASc
Agent de recherches/Research Officer

Tél/Tel (613) 990-2813
Facsimile/télécopieur: (613) 952-7151

Ottawa (Ontario) K1A 0R6
K1A 0R6

Re: Research-Wiki

phoebe ayers
On Feb 7, 2008 6:55 AM, Desilets, Alain <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I don't know if this has been mentioned already, but there is a mailing list about wiki research at large (not just wikipedia research).
>
> [hidden email]

thanks Alain! Do you think the two lists overlap much, though? Though
this list is titled 'Research into Wikimedia content and communities'
there's a lot of things applicable to non-Wikimedia research; and by
extension much wiki research focuses on Wikipedia et al :)

I like the idea of Wikiversity as a centralized place because it's a
stable wiki (wikimedia is committed to hosting it forever) but it also
gets us away from the focus on just "wikipedia" research, even within
the wikimedia community.

-- phoebe

Re: Research-Wiki

alain_desilets
> thanks Alain! Do you think the two lists overlap much, though? Though
> this list is titled 'Research into Wikimedia content and communities'
> there's a lot of things applicable to non-Wikimedia research; and by
> extension much wiki research focuses on Wikipedia et al :)

Yes, there is a lot of overlap. I subscribe to both lists. Just wanted
to point out that there was another one.

> I like the idea of Wikiversity as a centralized place because it's a
> stable wiki (wikimedia is committed to hosting it forever) but it also
> gets us away from the focus on just "wikipedia" research, even within
> the wikimedia community.

That would be a good place too.

Alain

Re: Research-Wiki

Felipe Ortega

Cormac Lawler <[hidden email]> escribió:
 Wikiversity would just not compete as a bibliography (it lacks the funky search algorithms) - though we could import the meta page and start developing it as a part of a wider wiki research agenda. Wikiversity would be a good place for a workspace - but I'm not sure if Felipe was thinking of something more advanced (ie with wiki and other knowledge base features) as a "one stop shop".

 Cormac

I agree with Phoebe, Wikiversity could be a good place to start. But, as Cormac says, I'm thinking about a more complete solution, something like a "research planet", or more seriously, a research virtual community.

Besides the useful tools for searching through bibliography, there could be repositories with graphs, analyses, results, maybe even some databases with useful info for research about Wikipedia, helping other people to avoid starting from zero.

We could also have a forge (including SVN repositories for code projects, associated mailing lists, etc; the typical refinements) to develop research tools for Wikipedia, and also to create development/user/researcher communities around those projects.

Along with these benefits, (and sorry for being repetitive) the most important advantage in my view would be to have a central, clear and bidirectional communication point between Wikimedia Foundation and other research communities all over the world.

Of course, I also agree with Alain in that we should sindicate/mashup/collaborate with other wiki research spaces, starting with WikiSym. Perhaps, I'm proposing an augmented WikiForum, much in the same line, but including other cool enhancements.

We at URJC are involved in a very similar experience, creating a complete info repository for the European Open Source Observatory. IMHO, we should commit to a complete repository for researchers on Wikipedia, for them to collaborate effectively. Potential sinergies are simply too good to reject the opportunity.

Bests,

Felipe.

¿Con Mascota por primera vez? - Sé un mejor Amigo
Entra en Yahoo! Respuestas.

Re: Research-Wiki

Dirk Riehle-2
Did you compare these hand-maintained lists with this:

http://www.bibsonomy.org/tag/wikipedia

While I'm a big fan of wikis and Wikipedia, obviously, sometimes
specialized applications with the right incentive system can
outperform a more general wiki-based approach.

My hunch is that Bibsonomy does that.

Dirk

On Feb 7, 2008 3:27 AM, Daniel Kinzler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello All
>
> As I'm currently working on my major thesis about extracting a multilingual
> thesaurus from wikipedia data, I have collected quite a bit of research
> resources about wikipedia. Here are a few links:
>
> * My Wikipedia Research link collection:
> http://del.icio.us/brightbyte/wikipedia%2Bresearch
> * Wikipedia tag on CiteULike: http://www.citeulike.org/tag/wikipedia
> * Wikipedia group on CiteULike: http://www.citeulike.org/group/382/library
> * My own wikipedia stuff there:
> http://www.citeulike.org/user/brightbyte/tag/wikipedia
> * Overview page for my thesis work: http://brightbyte.de/page/WikiWord
>
> I hope this will be useful to someone. I mainly focused on Wikipedia as a
> resource for linguistic and semantical analysis.
>
> As to having a central place to coordinate and discuss research: yes, that would
> be great. Though I'm also not sure of the best form. A good bibliography system
> would sure help, and wiki-style flexible creation of topic pages, and some sort
> of discussion system, and perhaps a "planet" style aggregated news feed?
> Ideally, all this could be provided by a single system - I have discussed my
> dreams about a Bibliography Thing / research platform a few weeks ago here:
> http://brightbyte.de/page/The_Bibliography_Thing
>

> Regards,
> Daniel Kinzler,
> aka Duesentrieb,