Moderators?

Re: Research-Wiki

Felipe Ortega

Cormac Lawler <[hidden email]> escribió:
Wikiversity would be a good place for a workspace - but I'm not sure if Felipe was thinking of something more advanced (ie with wiki and other knowledge base features) as a "one stop shop".

 Cormac

I agree with Phoebe and Cormac, Wikiversity could be a good place to start. But, as Cormac says, I'm thinking about a more complete solution, something like a "research planet", or more seriously, a research virtual community.

Besides the useful tools for searching through bibliography, there could be repositories with graphs, analyses, results, maybe even some databases with useful info for research about Wikipedia, helping other people to avoid starting from zero.

We could also have a forge (including SVN repositories for code projects, associated mailing lists, etc; the typical refinements) to develop research tools for Wikipedia, and also to create development/user/researcher communities around those projects.

Along with these benefits, (and sorry for being repetitive) the most important advantage in my view would be to have a central, clear and bidirectional communication point between Wikimedia Foundation and other research communities all over the world.

Of course, I also agree with Alain in that we should sindicate/mashup/collaborate with other wiki research spaces, starting with WikiSym. Perhaps, I'm proposing an augmented WikiForum, much in the same line, but including other cool enhancements.

We at URJC are involved in a very similar experience, creating a complete info repository for the European Open Source Observatory. IMHO, we should commit to a complete repository for researchers on Wikipedia, for them to collaborate effectively. Potential sinergies are simply too good to reject the opportunity.

Bests,

Felipe.

¿Con Mascota por primera vez? - Sé un mejor Amigo
Entra en Yahoo! Respuestas.

Re: Moderators?

Andrea Forte
Hi Cormac, I hope Wikiversity will be represented at the Open
Education Symposium at Carnegie Mellon this spring. It's the first
time a lot of major players in learning research are coming together
to focus on OER. There's a lot of latent support in this community for
open access that hasn't been tapped yet. I'm definitely going and
looking forward to seeing what comes out of it.

http://www.cmu.edu/oli/symposium2008/index.shtml

Andrea

On Wed, Feb 6, 2008 at 3:29 PM, Cormac Lawler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> reinforces to me that such a space would be useful. However, the
> knowledge-sharing aspect is also essential, in order to document what is
> available, and what has been done before - and I'd like to know what other
> tools you think would be useful/necessary. Finding relevant literature
> becomes more and more important with the increasing amount of literature
> being churned out on wikis - this would be facilitated by focused searching
> of bibliographies, but the human (ie community) element also comes into it.
> So, it's really more a shared workspace than a knowledge bank that I'm
> thinking of. I'd be thrilled to start (or continue) work on such a space on
> Wikiversity if there is some interest from this list.
>
> Cormac
>

> On Feb 6, 2008 1:58 PM, Felipe Ortega <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Actually, we already thought about creating a common knowledge-share
> space, possibly based in wiki technology but with many other useful tools.
> It could integrate many research sources about Wikipedia, currently
> scattered all over the web:
> >
> > * WikiResearch at meta.wikimedia
> > * Wikimetrics at http://wm.sieheauch.de/, and other wiki bibliography
> sources (maybe, linked with Citeulike lists...).
> > * A common forum to exchange ideas and resources for research about
> Wikipedia.
> > * Most important thing: A common interface to ask Wikimedia Foundation for
> data sources. Wikimedia admins are (almost always) too busy to attend
> researchers' petititons. It's not rare to spend at least 3 months to obtain
> certain information sources, due to both contact and agreement delays. It's
> also frequent that certain common petitions show up again over time. With a
> central point to find resources, this problem would be mitigated, at least
> to some an extent point.
> >
> > * Of course, a mailing-list would be also a benefit, possibly split into
> important subtopics: research-metrics, research-semantics,
> research-authoring...
> >
> > Maybe Wikiversity could be a good starting point to integrate the whole
> thing.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Felipe.
> > Cormac Lawler <[hidden email]> escribió:
> >

> > On Feb 5, 2008 10:56 PM, Dirk Riehle <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > I already moderate the WikiSym wiki research list, which is equally
> > > low traffic, so I can offer to take this one on too. --Dirk
> >

> > I'd kinda like this list to be slightly more active - currently it's a bit
> more of an announce list. I'd like to develop a community of researchers who
> can share ideas, experiences, critiques etc., but I wonder if a mailing list
> is the best way though. The obvious question arises: how about a wiki? I'd
> like to offer Wikiversity [1] as a place where people interested could work
> and see what other people are working on - not replacing this list but
> augmenting it. Though if anyone has other ideas for a suitable medium or

Re: Research-Wiki

Dirk Riehle-2

>> I don't know if this has been mentioned already, but there is a mailing list about wiki research at large (not just wikipedia research).
>>
>> [hidden email]
>>

> thanks Alain! Do you think the two lists overlap much, though? Though
> this list is titled 'Research into Wikimedia content and communities'
> there's a lot of things applicable to non-Wikimedia research; and by
> extension much wiki research focuses on Wikipedia et al :)

Well, one reason the Wiki Symposium exists is because there is much wiki
stuff (research, practice, standards, etc.) outside the Wikimedia scope!

I think some overlap is natural as Wikimedia issues are wiki issues too.
However, unless you explicitly change the scope of this list to be
generally about wikis and not just Wikimedia related, I'd keep the two
wiki research lists separate.

Cheers,
Dirk

--
Phone: + 1 (650) 215 3459
Web: http://www.riehle.org

Re: Research-Wiki

Piotr Konieczny-2
Dirk Riehle wrote:

> Well, one reason the Wiki Symposium exists is because there is much wiki
> stuff (research, practice, standards, etc.) outside the Wikimedia scope!
>
> I think some overlap is natural as Wikimedia issues are wiki issues too.
> However, unless you explicitly change the scope of this list to be
> generally about wikis and not just Wikimedia related, I'd keep the two
> wiki research lists separate.

Indeed, I agree with that. A sublist of Wikipedia research is large
enough and specialized enough to exist separately; hence - two lists
make sense.

I wonder if there are any other non-Wikipedia sublists of wiki research
that have emerged/are likely to emerge?

--
Piotr Konieczny

"The problem about Wikipedia is, that it just works in reality, not in
theory."

Re: Research-Wiki

Cormac Lawler

On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 6:49 PM, Dirk Riehle <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> I don't know if this has been mentioned already, but there is a mailing list about wiki research at large (not just wikipedia research).
>>
>> [hidden email]
>>

> thanks Alain! Do you think the two lists overlap much, though? Though
> this list is titled 'Research into Wikimedia content and communities'
> there's a lot of things applicable to non-Wikimedia research; and by
> extension much wiki research focuses on Wikipedia et al :)

Well, one reason the Wiki Symposium exists is because there is much wiki
stuff (research, practice, standards, etc.) outside the Wikimedia scope!

I think some overlap is natural as Wikimedia issues are wiki issues too.
However, unless you explicitly change the scope of this list to be
generally about wikis and not just Wikimedia related, I'd keep the two
wiki research lists separate.

Yes, two lists can happily coexist. However, as a shared workspace, I'd still like to have something that incorporates 'wiki-general' and 'Wikimedia-specific' research - and this can easily be started on Wikiversity (and can also be expanded into overlapping areas like "open educational resources", "online communities", "collaborative software development" etc etc). The Wikiversity research portal is at <http://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Portal:Research>, and it's really not very good - we could start refactoring it, or developing a new page at, say, <http://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Portal:Research/new> and merging them when we get a good structure together.

Cormac