Modern chat solution as alternative to IRC?

Modern chat solution as alternative to IRC?

Samuel Lampa-4
Hi SMW folks,

The SMW IRC chat seems pretty dead these days (albeit not completely).

I tend to pretty often have quick questions I that would be very
suitable for a chat (need a quick answer, or throwing some questions
back and forth, making the mailing list too slow), and find that the IRC
chat is too silent to be of much use (I got some good answers sometimes,
but it is not "reliable").

A lot of projects seem to get very good use of some of the more modern
chat solutions like slack, or gitter (We actually even put up a gitter
chat for SMW at https://gitter.im/SemanticMediaWiki ... ).

What are people's opinions ... would it be reasonable to push for using
some such solution more (e.g. the gitter chat)?

At least I would find it helpful.

Best
// Samuel

Re: Modern chat solution as alternative to IRC?

Samuel Lampa-4
On 2017-07-27 13:01, Samuel Lampa wrote:
> A lot of projects seem to get very good use of some of the more modern
> chat solutions like slack, or gitter

One example of a very active and thriving gitter chat is the one for the
workflow tool Nextflow [1]: https://gitter.im/nextflow-io/nextflow

// SL

[1] http://nextflow.io

Re: Modern chat solution as alternative to IRC?

Semantic Mediawiki - Development mailing list

The SMW IRC chat seems pretty dead these days (albeit not completely).

I tend to pretty often have quick questions I that would be very
suitable for a chat (need a quick answer, or throwing some questions
back and forth, making the mailing list too slow), and find that the IRC
chat is too silent to be of much use (I got some good answers sometimes,
but it is not "reliable").

A lot of projects seem to get very good use of some of the more modern
chat solutions like slack, or gitter (We actually even put up a gitter
chat for SMW at https://gitter.im/SemanticMediaWiki ... ).

What are people"s opinions ... would it be reasonable to push for using
some such solution more (e.g. the gitter chat)?

I don't understand how changing the chat system would create more traffic.
What you are proposing appears to me to be an attempt of a technical solution for a social problem. IRC my not be the most modern system, but there are web frontends available and I don't think that more people would come to chat about SMW if only the interface was more shiny. And multiplying the communication channels might even be counterproductive as it spreads the people available for conversation over even more places. As you noted, there already is (or was?) an SMW chat on Gitter that apparently did not get traction.
Finally, if you don't ask questions because the channel seems so quiet (and other people do the same) then it is probably not a surprise if the channel stays quiet. Or, in other words, start using the existing channel and maybe stay around a while to answer other people's questions, and we might see some more traffic.

Just my 2 cents.

Stephan

Re: Modern chat solution as alternative to IRC?

Jeroen De Dauw-2
Hey,

Thanks for raising the topic Samuel.

I can be lazy and not outline my view on this matter as it is identical to what Stephan already wrote.

Cheers
Software craftsmanship advocate | Developer at Wikimedia Germany
~=[,,_,,]:3

On 2017-07-27 13:32, Stephan Gambke wrote:
> What you are proposing appears to me to be an attempt of a technical
> solution for a social problem. IRC my not be the most modern system,
> but there are web frontends available and I don't think that more
> people would come to chat about SMW if only the interface was more
> shiny. And multiplying the communication channels might even be
> counterproductive as it spreads the people available for conversation
> over even more places.

Multiplying channels is problematic, and is why I'm raising the topic,
so that we can have consensus on where to go, if anywhere.

There are a number of factors apart from just "web access" that I
believe make the newer breed of solutions more used:

1) They make history available at all times, even though you weren't
logged in all the time. This helps users be able to jump in on a
question asked a few hours ago, while you might have been offline (for
time zone reasons or whatnot).

2) Mobile clients. Slack, Gitter, RocketChat and some others have very
easy to use mobile clients, which allow you to be reachable (upon
mention) even when on the move. Of course, you have to set the
notification settings to your preferred level of availability, but it
can help a lot for people always on the move.

In our research group, we went from a widely used but constantly very
low-traffic IRC chat, to a much more frequently used Slack chat, very
much because of the above reasons, AFAIS.

> As you noted, there already is (or was?) an SMW chat on Gitter that
> apparently did not get traction.

This room was set up as a test. We didn't inform about it, and it is
(currently) not open to anybody outside the SMW github org to join.

> Finally, if you don't ask questions because the channel seems so quiet
> (and other people do the same) then it is probably not a surprise if
> the channel stays quiet. Or, in other words, start using the existing
> channel and maybe stay around a while to answer other people's
> questions, and we might see some more traffic.

I have have asked questions numerous times that never got answers.

I'd be happy to support new users with whatever answers I can provide,
but since I don't see questions not asked when I was not online (see
points above), that basically never happens.

Best
// Samuel

Re: Modern chat solution as alternative to IRC?

Martin Brunner
Yury Katkov schrieb:
> I've no idea how to use IRC

In comparison e.g. to Slack it uses a free open protocol.

I think if you still will stay on IRC, Users could enhance it via Quassel (e.g.
http://quassel-irc.org ), which means that you have a Quassel-Server that is
always connected to IRC. And a client you could use from PC, Phone, etc. that
will connect and get you in the right channels including the chat history.
Maybe some wants to offer this server, I'm not sure if there are public ones.

On 2017-07-27 14:24, Samuel Lampa wrote:
> 1) They make history available at all times, even though you weren't
> logged in all the time. This helps users be able to jump in on a
> question asked a few hours ago, while you might have been offline (for
> time zone reasons or whatnot).

On a related note, the current IRC history log seems to be down:

http://ur1.ca/9gmt7 , which points to
http://bots.wmflabs.org/~petrb/logs/%23semantic-mediawiki/ , returns a
404 page.

Best
// Samuel

Re: Modern chat solution as alternative to IRC?

Yaron Koren-2
Hi,

The history log is not down, but it moved, to this URL:

Hopefully someone can change the URL in the message - it has been incorrect for years now, which I'm sure has caused a lot of confusion.

I have no strong opinion on the IRC/Gitter/Slack/etc. question.

-Yaron

On 2017-07-27 14:24, Samuel Lampa wrote:
> Multiplying channels is problematic, and is why I'm raising the topic,
> so that we can have consensus on where to go, if anywhere.

Oops, reading this again I see it might come off as a little snarky,
which was not my intention.

So what I mean is that I agree about the concern but think it won't be a
big problem as long as there is some level of community consensus on
what to use.

On 2017-07-27 16:27, Yaron Koren wrote:
> The history log is not down, but it moved, to this URL:
>
> http://bots.wmflabs.org/~wm-bot/logs/%23semantic-mediawiki/
> <http://bots.wmflabs.org/%7Ewm-bot/logs/%23semantic-mediawiki/>
>
> Hopefully someone can change the URL in the message

Great, yes, let's find who's to do it :)

// S

Re: Modern chat solution as alternative to IRC?

Mark A. Hershberger-2

I'll pile on to what Stephan has said: Just use IRC.  If people aren't
there, get them to show up.

I use Slack (via its IRC interface, naturally) and it works, but even
using Slack's own client, I see no real advantage and I see several
disadvantages.

Cindy Cicalese[1] (who does things lik e Display Title née Semantic
Title), just started as the new product manager for the MediaWiki
Platform team at the WMF and, since it is WMF, started using IRC.

She is using IRCCloud[2] which provides

* Unlimited history access
* Free apps for iOS and Android
* 2 IRC connections
* 100MB drag and drop file sharing
* Full history export
* Fast, personal support

That seems pretty "modern", to me.

But what do I know?  I'm happy with using emacs's erc[3] and znc[4], so
I'm a veritable dinosaur.

Mark.

Footnotes:
[1]  https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Cindy.cicalese

[2]  https://www.irccloud.com/pricing

[3]  https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/ERC

[4]  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZNC

--
Mark A. Hershberger
NicheWork LLC

Re: Modern chat solution as alternative to IRC?

Samuel Lampa-4
Thanks Mark and others,

On 2017-07-27 20:36, Mark A. Hershberger wrote:
> I'll pile on to what Stephan has said: Just use IRC.  If people aren't
> there, get them to show up.

Well, I'm pretty much ready to give in to the peer pressure :D

> Cindy Cicalese[1] (who does things lik e Display Title née Semantic
> Title), just started as the new product manager for the MediaWiki
> Platform team at the WMF and, since it is WMF, started using IRC.
>
> She is using IRCCloud[2] which provides
>
> * Unlimited history access
> * Free apps for iOS and Android
> * 2 IRC connections
> * 100MB drag and drop file sharing
> * Full history export
> * Fast, personal support

Thanks for the tip! Looks pretty neat actually.

Best
// Samuel

Re: Modern chat solution as alternative to IRC?

Jeroen De Dauw-2
Hey,

I suppose the IRC could be linked more prominently, and as "SMW chatroom" rather than "IRC", so people that do not know IRC don't get scared from the get-go. One place where it is currently missing is the homepage, in the "User community" section next to Facebook, YouTube, etc. This could be combined with some short documentation (maybe a video) showing how to get the more modern experience via a service such as IRCCloud.

https://www.semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/semantic-mediawiki.org:Services_accounts

Cheers
Software craftsmanship advocate | Developer at Wikimedia Germany
~=[,,_,,]:3

Re: Modern chat solution as alternative to IRC?

Jeroen De Dauw-2
Hey,

The IRC log and GIT links on the IRC have been fixed and both Stephan Gambke and I now have admin rights on it.

Cheers
Software craftsmanship advocate | Developer at Wikimedia Germany
~=[,,_,,]:3

Re: Modern chat solution as alternative to IRC?

kghbln
Heiya,

I fluffed the appearance on smw.o a bit, i.e. we now have an icon as well as a link on main page pointing into the right direction.

Cheers

Karsten

Am 29.07.2017 um 20:49 schrieb Jeroen De Dauw:
Hey,

The IRC log and GIT links on the IRC have been fixed and both Stephan Gambke and I now have admin rights on it.

Cheers
Software craftsmanship advocate | Developer at Wikimedia Germany
~=[,,_,,]:3

Re: Modern chat solution as alternative to IRC?

John Mark Vandenberg

Zulip is now offering hosted solutions

https://zulipchat.com/for/open-source/

Wikimedia used it for our GSoC project mentoring.

Zulip has a new Android app in beta.

Matrix.org is another free option for continuing with IRC with persistent connections.

--
John

Pada tanggal Min, 30 Jul 2017 02.49 [[kgh]] <[hidden email]> menulis:
Heiya,

I fluffed the appearance on smw.o a bit, i.e. we now have an icon as well as a link on main page pointing into the right direction.

Cheers

Karsten

Am 29.07.2017 um 20:49 schrieb Jeroen De Dauw:
Hey,

The IRC log and GIT links on the IRC have been fixed and both Stephan Gambke and I now have admin rights on it.

Cheers
Software craftsmanship advocate | Developer at Wikimedia Germany
~=[,,_,,]:3

Re: Modern chat solution as alternative to IRC?

Samuel Lampa-4
Great stuff, Jeroen, Karsten and all, thanks!

Idea though: Perhaps the web link could go directly to the chat room:
http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=semantic-mediawiki .

Also I think the web linnk could be made a bit more prominent (for those
IRC-newbies just wanting to drop in to ask something) ... like a big
button or heading "Access via web", or including it in the "Windows,
Max, Linux" list, with an option for "Web"?

Cheers
// Samuel

On 2017-07-29 21:48, [[kgh]] wrote:

> Heiya,
>
> I fluffed the appearance on smw.o a bit, i.e. we now have an icon as
> well as a link on main page pointing into the right direction.
>
> Cheers
>
> Karsten
>
> Am 29.07.2017 um 20:49 schrieb Jeroen De Dauw:
>> Hey,
>>
>> The IRC log and GIT links on the IRC have been fixed and both Stephan
>> Gambke and I now have admin rights on it.
>>
>> Cheers

Re: Modern chat solution as alternative to IRC?

kghbln
Hi Samuel,

now serving on wiki. [0] This you cannot overlook. :) Thanks for your
suggestion.

Cheers Karsten

[0] https://www.semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/Semantic_MediaWiki_chatroom