Monmouthpedia in the Guardian

Andy Mabbett-2
There's a great article about MonmoutpediA in the Guardian today;
congratulations to all involved, it's a great advert for our work,
despite some (baseless) naysaying.

However (there's always a catch!), the article says:

   By April the aim is to dot 1,000 QR codes – a barcode that smartphones can
   read – around the border town. Visitors will be able to use their
phones to scan
   the QR codes and view the Wikipedia page (in the language their phone is set
   up for) relevant to where they are standing.

which is good, but doesn't use the word QRpedia. can we try to
include/. emphasise that name on our marketing; or if we did,
encourage journalists to use it?

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing

Re: Monmouthpedia in the Guardian

Tom Morris-5
On 26 January 2012 17:30, Andy Mabbett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> There's a great article about MonmoutpediA in the Guardian today;
> congratulations to all involved, it's a great advert for our work,
> despite some (baseless) naysaying.
>
> However (there's always a catch!), the article says:
>
>   By April the aim is to dot 1,000 QR codes – a barcode that smartphones can
>   read – around the border town. Visitors will be able to use their
> phones to scan
>   the QR codes and view the Wikipedia page (in the language their phone is set
>   up for) relevant to where they are standing.
>
> which is good, but doesn't use the word QRpedia. can we try to
> include/. emphasise that name on our marketing; or if we did,
> encourage journalists to use it?

The link:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/jan/26/wikipedia-monmouth-residents-local-website

I like that The Guardian are scaring people about deletionists.

They (we?) are very scary.

--
Tom Morris
<http://tommorris.org/>

Re: Monmouthpedia in the Guardian

Richard Symonds-3
Aye, I just saw it too! Matthew Roth (from WMF) is impressed about the
coverage, and overall it's not a bad piece...

Richard Symonds
Office&  Development Manager
Wikimedia UK
+44 (0)207 065 0991

On 26/01/2012 17:30, Andy Mabbett wrote:

> There's a great article about MonmoutpediA in the Guardian today;
> congratulations to all involved, it's a great advert for our work,
> despite some (baseless) naysaying.
>
> However (there's always a catch!), the article says:
>
>     By April the aim is to dot 1,000 QR codes – a barcode that smartphones can
>     read – around the border town. Visitors will be able to use their
> phones to scan
>     the QR codes and view the Wikipedia page (in the language their phone is set
>     up for) relevant to where they are standing.
>
> which is good, but doesn't use the word QRpedia. can we try to
> include/. emphasise that name on our marketing; or if we did,
> encourage journalists to use it?

Re: Monmouthpedia in the Guardian

Roger Bamkin
We had a bit of a mix up with the journalist as I told him we had been shortlisted for the SmartUK award and then I realised it was not public knowledge. I think the piece is very well written and includes more that just what we told him. Hes done some research! I thought we were on the "cutting room floor" - Monmouthshire CC will be very pleaseed wit this I think and it shows what we can do.

Hope WMUK editors are still plugging away at Monmouth articles - we do have 50 so far (approx)

Roger

On 26 January 2012 17:39, Richard Symonds <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

01332 702993
0758 2020815
Google+:Victuallers
Skype:Victuallers1
Flickr:Victuallers2

Re: Monmouthpedia in the Guardian

Thomas Dalton
On 26 January 2012 17:43, Roger Bamkin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> We had a bit of a mix up with the journalist as I told him we had been
> shortlisted for the SmartUK award and then I realised it was not public
> knowledge.

If it's not public knowledge, why did you just mention it on a public
mailing list?

On 26 January 2012 17:36, Tom Morris <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I like that The Guardian are scaring people about deletionists.

"The next series of Big Brother is interested in finding a passionate
Wikipedia deletionist. Preferably one with big tits."

- d.

Re: Monmouthpedia in the Guardian

Richard Symonds-3
It wasn't public at the time they interviewed us - weeks ago. I believe it is now.

Richard Symonds

On 26 Jan 2012, at 19:00, Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 26 January 2012 17:43, Roger Bamkin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> We had a bit of a mix up with the journalist as I told him we had been
>> shortlisted for the SmartUK award and then I realised it was not public
>> knowledge.
>
> If it's not public knowledge, why did you just mention it on a public
> mailing list?

Re: Monmouthpedia in the Guardian

Thomas Dalton
On 26 January 2012 19:16, Richard Symonds
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> It wasn't public at the time they interviewed us - weeks ago. I believe it is now.

I haven't found any announcements... shouldn't there be a blog entry
or something?

Re: Monmouthpedia in the Guardian

HJ Mitchell
You mean like dedicating a section of the chapter wiki's main page to it? ;)

Harry

On 26 January 2012 19:24, HJ Mitchell <[hidden email]> wrote:
> You mean like dedicating a section of the chapter wiki's main page to it? ;)

Why would I go to the main page? Isn't the "Latest News" section
supposed to summarise the most recent blog post? (It links to the blog
at the end of it.)

Re: Monmouthpedia in the Guardian

Roger Bamkin
Sorry Tom, the blog entry may not have been mounted correctly. Please feel free to fix.

We've been making the press too on the SmartUK shortlist - which sounds like a magazine but is actually a competition to represent the UK mobile industry on a government stand at the World Mobile Conference.

MNot sure whether we make the cut but its a thrill to be short listed and we got some nice coverage in the mobile tech community.

roger

On 26 January 2012 19:35, Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 26 January 2012 19:24, HJ Mitchell <[hidden email]> wrote:
> You mean like dedicating a section of the chapter wiki's main page to it? ;)

Why would I go to the main page? Isn't the "Latest News" section
supposed to summarise the most recent blog post? (It links to the blog
at the end of it.)

Looking for Workshop participants for Amman: Middle Eastern Participation and Presence in Wikipedia

Rich Farmbrough
This research project (which I am part of) is looking for participants
for a workshop in Amman in April.

In particular we are interested in those who edit from or about the
Middle East, either extensively, or who have been discouraged from
editing more due to on-wiki issues.

Full details at
http://www.zerogeography.net/2012/02/open-invitation-to-workshop-in-amman.html.

All the best,

Richard Farmbrough

Re: Looking for Workshop participants for Amman: Middle Eastern Participation and Presence in Wikipedia

mo hobeyl
Hi there ,

Thank you for your email

The project sounds interesting and i would like to partake in it as best as i possibly can if time permits by then

Please keep me informed about what you deem is worth knowing

With my best wishes

Mo Hobeyl