Monmouthpedia

Thomas Dalton

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-16359364

I've just seen this article. I'd somehow missed this is the planning stages (I was vaguely aware of some discussion about qr codes, but hadn't realised anything had progressed this far) - it looks like a great idea.

It's a good article too, I particularly like the quote from John about being told he should implement his idea himself - that's exactly the attitude wmuk should have and we should make everyone aware of that.

The only thing I don't like about the article is that it makes it sound like a Wikipedia project, rather than a Wikimedia UK project. It's not a big deal, but we should try and get the chapter's role more emphasis.

Re: Monmouthpedia

Roger Bamkin
Hi Tom,

I'm feeling good as I just had a press release from Monmouth County Council and I made the point that it was "Wikimedia UK" they were partnering with - and we should be mentioned. I agree that John Cummings comment is spot on. He isnt a Wikipedia old lag but quite a new Wikipedian. He is the only wikipedian as far as I know in Monmouth. We are going to try and pull off an amazing stunt of taking one Wikipedian and creating 1,000 QR codes in a town that has no other known editors. John cannot do this .... Monmouth and Wikimedia UK can.

Lots of coverage to day from The Next Web et al, BBC Wales Radio and TV and we're on Radio 4 next week. We also have "promises" of longer features. My own target is that we get a TV programme out of this. The story "broke" because John got a bit published in the Monmouth Beacon and the press ran with it. I'm not surprised, this a "meme" of an idea.

The project has not been hidden but I guess it has not occupied much board time as the idea is so simple and everyone I've spoklen to just says "got it .... lets do it". The only investment so far has been persuading "the town" that they want to do it..... and we have had no one say No, nearly everyone has said "yes ... how can we help". We have had a few who wanted to think about it, but we made it clear that this wasn't an option. We already have a university, several societies, 2/3 museums, councillors and civic societies etc committed. Initial funding is agreed.

This is a great chance for Wikimedia UK to show what it can do. It would be great if some of our members searched out some Monmouth articles or looked at the Monmouthpedia project pages and started helping. I would request however that people resist giving "a quick lesson in what you are doing wrong" to a newbie until we have helped them four of five times.

Anybody got some time to assist? It would be great to demonstrate how we collaborate to create something better then any of us can do alone.

I'm (desperately) hoping someone surprises me
Roger

On 30 December 2011 16:10, Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]> wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-16359364

I've just seen this article. I'd somehow missed this is the planning stages (I was vaguely aware of some discussion about qr codes, but hadn't realised anything had progressed this far) - it looks like a great idea.

It's a good article too, I particularly like the quote from John about being told he should implement his idea himself - that's exactly the attitude wmuk should have and we should make everyone aware of that.

The only thing I don't like about the article is that it makes it sound like a Wikipedia project, rather than a Wikimedia UK project. It's not a big deal, but we should try and get the chapter's role more emphasis.

Roger Bamkin

Re: Monmouthpedia

Deryck Chan

Unfortunately the media industry does have a habit of making noun generalizations, whether we like it or not. To them, Wikipedia refers to the entire movement. At least they stopped calling us "wiki".

That said, I agree more work can be done to promote Wikimedia UK as a local organisation, and to that end Roger did a good job.

On Dec 30, 2011 5:15 PM, "Roger Bamkin" <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

WereSpielChequers-2
Richard,

They've got a VC and two museums including http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Monmouth_Regimental_Museum which even has an Armoured car outside.

WSC

On 30 December 2011 18:50, Richard Symonds <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

findingmaths@yahoo.co.uk
REMOVE ME FROM THE LIST PLEASE.
Thank you

Re: Monmouthpedia

Michael Peel-4
Done...

Mike

On 30 Dec 2011, at 23:31, [hidden email] wrote:

> REMOVE ME FROM THE LIST PLEASE.
> Thank you

Re: Monmouthpedia

geni
On 30 December 2011 17:14, Roger Bamkin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Tom,
>
> I'm feeling good as I just had a press release from Monmouth County Council
> and I made the point that it was "Wikimedia UK" they were partnering with -
> and we should be mentioned. I agree that John Cummings comment is spot on.
> He isnt a Wikipedia old lag but quite a new Wikipedian. He is the only
> wikipedian as far as I know in Monmouth. We are going to try and pull off an
> amazing stunt of taking one Wikipedian and creating 1,000 QR codes in a town
> that has no other known editors. John cannot do this .... Monmouth and
> Wikimedia UK can.
>
> Lots of coverage to day from The Next Web et al, BBC Wales Radio and TV and
> we're on Radio 4 next week. We also have "promises" of longer features. My
> own target is that we get a TV programme out of this. The story "broke"
> because John got a bit published in the Monmouth Beacon and the press ran
> with it. I'm not surprised, this a "meme" of an idea.
>
> The project has not been hidden but I guess it has not occupied much board
> time as the idea is so simple and everyone I've spoklen to just says "got it
> .... lets do it". The only investment so far has been persuading "the town"
> that they want to do it..... and we have had no one say No, nearly everyone
> has said "yes ... how can we help". We have had a few who wanted to think
> about it, but we made it clear that this wasn't an option. We already have a
> university, several societies, 2/3 museums, councillors and civic societies
> etc committed. Initial funding is agreed.
>
> This is a great chance for Wikimedia UK to show what it can do. It would be
> great if some of our members searched out some Monmouth articles or looked
> at the Monmouthpedia project pages and started helping. I would request
> however that people resist giving "a quick lesson in what you are doing
> wrong" to a newbie until we have helped them four of five times.
>
> Anybody got some time to assist? It would be great to demonstrate how we
> collaborate to create something better then any of us can do alone.
>
> I'm (desperately) hoping someone surprises me
> Roger

The problem you hit rather quickly is that while it is fairly easy to
write local history about your local area (your local library will
have sources) writing local history about a more distant place is far
more difficult. Monmouth Archaeological Society also appears to have a
fairly limited set of publications which is a pity since local
Archaeological Societies are usually a fairly good of material for
articles.

--
geni

Re: Monmouthpedia

Rod Ward
I would agree about the difficulty of getting access to local sources
(although I might have a go at Monmouth Castle which deserves a better
article than it has got), but I wondered how broadly Monmouthpedia is being
interpreted?

The Monmouth Rebellion is relevant to my neck of the woods - but probably
not that significant for the town - would that be included?

Rod

The problem you hit rather quickly is that while it is fairly easy to
write local history about your local area (your local library will
have sources) writing local history about a more distant place is far
more difficult. Monmouth Archaeological Society also appears to have a
fairly limited set of publications which is a pity since local
Archaeological Societies are usually a fairly good of material for
articles.

--
geni

Re: Monmouthpedia

Roger Bamkin
Great to see this interest! I also have editors ready to translate when we have some improved articles.

We have the Archaeological Society "signed up". They tell me that we can "have the lot" - they are convinced that CC by SA beats (c) 2011..

I've included John on the list to make sure he knows and he can hopefully forward the requests. I know its not very easy but it is possible.
 As far as interpretation goes. Derby Museum used the rule that if the article had a link then it was relevant. So a bio of an artist who cad stuff in [[Derby Museum]] was relevant....

So I think the rebellion is named after the Duke of Monmouth - ie tricky to link to [[Monmouth, Wales]]

John is looking for someone who can do some grome-ish stuff. He wants to allow editors to claim points for writing articles. There is a proven system at the GLAM/Derby page. Does someone fancy moving the important bits to the MonmouthpediA page and zeroing everything so we are ready to allow editors to claim points etc.???

Armoured Car, and Ship - Yes we should be able to link the QR codes
Monmouth Castle - Go for it!
There are lots of ideas on MonmouthpediA pages. Some are people who may be local to you in fame but born in Monmouth.

If we can make a new or 5x expanded article then I'll get it on DYK - has to be done in <5 days

MonmouthpediA is to be on Radio 4 on Tuesday - be nice to say we are getting into 2nd gear

Thanks for the interest
Happy New Year!
Roger B

On 31 December 2011 09:25, Rod Ward <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

David Gerard-2
On 31 December 2011 11:32, Roger Bamkin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We have the Archaeological Society "signed up". They tell me that we can
> "have the lot" - they are convinced that CC by SA beats (c) 2011..

HUGE WIN! What was the process of convincing them? That's definitely
one to duplicate!

- d.

Re: Monmouthpedia

Harry Burt
Seconded - that's fantastic news!

Also, I might as well put it on record that I am more than happy to help with any bot programming that might be of use during these sort of initiatives. (I was reminded by the idea of scoring, having spent this morning updating the WikiCup bot to a 2012 specification, but you name, I'd be happy to contribute.)

--
Harry (User:Jarry1250)

On Sat, Dec 31, 2011 at 11:45 AM, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 31 December 2011 11:32, Roger Bamkin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We have the Archaeological Society "signed up". They tell me that we can
> "have the lot" - they are convinced that CC by SA beats (c) 2011..

HUGE WIN! What was the process of convincing them? That's definitely
one to duplicate!

- d.

Re: Monmouthpedia

Andrew Gray-3
On 31 December 2011 11:32, Roger Bamkin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> So I think the rebellion is named after the Duke of Monmouth - ie tricky to
> link to [[Monmouth, Wales]]

In a slightly convoluted mode, I believe the ship is as well. (At some
point in the past few centuries it was decided that he was All Right
After All, etc.)

> Armoured Car, and Ship - Yes we should be able to link the QR codes
> Monmouth Castle - Go for it!
> There are lots of ideas on MonmouthpediA pages. Some are people who may be
> local to you in fame but born in Monmouth.

Is there a WP Monmouth[shire]? If not, this may be a good idea to
kickstart one - identify relevant articles, start projecttagging, etc.

--
- Andrew Gray

Re: Monmouthpedia

Roger Bamkin
Andrew G - type monmouthpedia in to wikipedia or
monmouthpedia.org into browser

There is the project page

@David Gerard - Thanks very much - the slides are at Monmouthpedia in Slideshare. The argument goes -
  • we've done a museum, we can do your town
  • Monmouth societies publish things for "their mums and mates" - we'll give you thousands of readers
  • Google ranking - how does it work? ... Links.. what do we supply ... links
  • Why are you copyrighting your images - don't you want people to use them?
  • How much money are you making from your copyright protection excatly?
  • Can you find Monmouth Museum on a map in Spanish .... why not?

Wikicup bot? Thats exactly what we need!!!

On 31 December 2011 12:36, Andrew Gray <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 31 December 2011 11:32, Roger Bamkin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> So I think the rebellion is named after the Duke of Monmouth - ie tricky to
> link to [[Monmouth, Wales]]

In a slightly convoluted mode, I believe the ship is as well. (At some
point in the past few centuries it was decided that he was All Right
After All, etc.)

> Armoured Car, and Ship - Yes we should be able to link the QR codes
> Monmouth Castle - Go for it!
> There are lots of ideas on MonmouthpediA pages. Some are people who may be
> local to you in fame but born in Monmouth.

Is there a WP Monmouth[shire]? If not, this may be a good idea to
kickstart one - identify relevant articles, start projecttagging, etc.

--
- Andrew Gray

Roger Bamkin
01332 702993
0758 2020815
Google+:Victuallers
Skype:Victuallers1
Flickr:Victuallers2

Re: Monmouthpedia

Michael Peel-4

On 31 Dec 2011, at 11:32, Roger Bamkin wrote:

> We have the Archaeological Society "signed up". They tell me that we can "have the lot" - they are convinced that CC by SA beats (c) 2011..

Is there a link here with Wikisource? Do they have digitized documents that could be hosted there? Or is there scope for a crowdsourced digitisation project here?

I've done a quick scout around Wikisource and archive.org to see what's there, but there isn't too much:
http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/User:Mike_Peel/Monmouth
Mostly focused on Geoffrey of Monmouth. There's a book related to the [[Royal Monmouthshire Royal Engineers]] available on archive, which Richard might be interested in.

Thanks,
Mike

Re: Monmouthpedia

Roger Bamkin
Oh yes - Wikisource has stuff to load and the museum have offered 10,000 pictures for commons.

This is a "Quid pro quo" deal

Mike's stuff looks interesting. I also searched ODNB for "Monmouth" and found so many with some tenuous connection to Monmouth under "B" that I stopped looking. Lots of people went to school in Monmouth as there are two posh schools there who trained "people for the empire" 100 years ago and quite a few notables.

On 31 December 2011 13:47, Michael Peel <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 31 Dec 2011, at 11:32, Roger Bamkin wrote:

> We have the Archaeological Society "signed up". They tell me that we can "have the lot" - they are convinced that CC by SA beats (c) 2011..

Is there a link here with Wikisource? Do they have digitized documents that could be hosted there? Or is there scope for a crowdsourced digitisation project here?

I've done a quick scout around Wikisource and archive.org to see what's there, but there isn't too much:
http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/User:Mike_Peel/Monmouth
Mostly focused on Geoffrey of Monmouth. There's a book related to the [[Royal Monmouthshire Royal Engineers]] available on archive, which Richard might be interested in.

Thanks,
Mike

Roger

Re: Monmouthpedia

Richard Symonds-2
The ship... is, sometimes. The most recent one is technically named for the duke, although the previous five were named for the town. The current one is also officially affiliated with the town.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Monmouthshire_Royal_Engineers is also still, basically, a stub... would be nice to get it to GA!

Richard

On 31 December 2011 12:36, Andrew Gray <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 31 December 2011 11:32, Roger Bamkin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> So I think the rebellion is named after the Duke of Monmouth - ie tricky to
> link to [[Monmouth, Wales]]

In a slightly convoluted mode, I believe the ship is as well. (At some
point in the past few centuries it was decided that he was All Right
After All, etc.)

> Armoured Car, and Ship - Yes we should be able to link the QR codes
> Monmouth Castle - Go for it!
> There are lots of ideas on MonmouthpediA pages. Some are people who may be
> local to you in fame but born in Monmouth.

Is there a WP Monmouth[shire]? If not, this may be a good idea to
kickstart one - identify relevant articles, start projecttagging, etc.

--
- Andrew Gray

Re: Monmouthpedia

Roger Bamkin
Aah I thought it unusual that you'd name ships after an illigitamete traitorous Duke .... although in time all is forgiven

Oh I found the presentation that John and I gave to Monmouth

its here

http://www.slideshare.net/RogerBamkin/monmouthpedia

On 31 December 2011 14:32, Richard Symonds <[hidden email]> wrote:
The ship... is, sometimes. The most recent one is technically named for the duke, although the previous five were named for the town. The current one is also officially affiliated with the town.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Monmouthshire_Royal_Engineers is also still, basically, a stub... would be nice to get it to GA!

Richard

On 31 December 2011 12:36, Andrew Gray <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 31 December 2011 11:32, Roger Bamkin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> So I think the rebellion is named after the Duke of Monmouth - ie tricky to
> link to [[Monmouth, Wales]]

In a slightly convoluted mode, I believe the ship is as well. (At some
point in the past few centuries it was decided that he was All Right
After All, etc.)

> Armoured Car, and Ship - Yes we should be able to link the QR codes
> Monmouth Castle - Go for it!
> There are lots of ideas on MonmouthpediA pages. Some are people who may be
> local to you in fame but born in Monmouth.

Is there a WP Monmouth[shire]? If not, this may be a good idea to
kickstart one - identify relevant articles, start projecttagging, etc.

--
- Andrew Gray

Roger Bamkin
01332 702993
0758 2020815
Google+:Victuallers
Skype:Victuallers1
Flickr:Victuallers2

Re: Monmouthpedia

Chris Keating-2

Aah I thought it unusual that you'd name ships after an illigitamete traitorous Duke .... although in time all is forgiven

Interestingly enough, one of the HMS Monmouths was quite treasonous as well, taking part in the Nore Mutiny in 1797. Afterwards, while she was sailing to battle at Camperdown, her new captain exhorted the crew to "wash the stain off your character with the blood of your foes."

Don't you love it when two outreach projects overlap? ;-)

Chris