Monmouthpedia

Re: Monmouthpedia

Rod Ward

Ø  Monmouth Castle - Go for it!

The castle article at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monmouth_Castle has a bit of an expansion – but could do with more from others.

I did have a problem getting the Monmouthshire map to work in the infobox so it currently has the Wales map instead.

I also came across the article for the Great Castle House (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Castle_House) which hadn’t been tagged for Monmouthpedia so there may be other relevant articles still to be spotted.

Rod

Re: Monmouthpedia

Thomas Dalton
On 31 December 2011 16:15, Rod Ward <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I did have a problem getting the Monmouthshire map to work in the infobox so
> it currently has the Wales map instead.

Fixed. The map is called "Wales Monmouthshire" rather than
"Monmouthshire" for some reason.

Re: Monmouthpedia

Roger Bamkin
[[HMS Monmouth (1796)]] is at Did You Know. Our 2nd! Its a tenuous link to Monmouth, but its there. Thanks to Chris.

On 31 December 2011 16:23, Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 31 December 2011 16:15, Rod Ward <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I did have a problem getting the Monmouthshire map to work in the infobox so
> it currently has the Wales map instead.

Fixed. The map is called "Wales Monmouthshire" rather than
"Monmouthshire" for some reason.

Roger Bamkin
01332 702993
0758 2020815
Google+:Victuallers
Skype:Victuallers1
Flickr:Victuallers2

Re: Monmouthpedia

john cummings
Monmouth Museum have offered 10,000 digital images; 7,000 local historical and Charles Rolls and 3,000 about Admiral Nelson, a lot are previously unseen; ships logs (useful to climate scientists) and personal diaries.

I will talk to Mike Booth from the Shire Hall about what he has digitised, I know he has some stuff about the chartists especially about their trial.

The Archaeological Society are very keen but have very little time, I know they want to put their journals on Wikisource, they may have other things too.

Very glad to have you all involved, you're very welcome to make bold changes to the MonmouthpediA pages.

All the best

John

On 31 December 2011 13:47, Michael Peel <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 31 Dec 2011, at 11:32, Roger Bamkin wrote:

> We have the Archaeological Society "signed up". They tell me that we can "have the lot" - they are convinced that CC by SA beats (c) 2011..

Is there a link here with Wikisource? Do they have digitized documents that could be hosted there? Or is there scope for a crowdsourced digitisation project here?

I've done a quick scout around Wikisource and archive.org to see what's there, but there isn't too much:
http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/User:Mike_Peel/Monmouth
Mostly focused on Geoffrey of Monmouth. There's a book related to the [[Royal Monmouthshire Royal Engineers]] available on archive, which Richard might be interested in.

Thanks,
Mike

Re: Monmouthpedia

Charles Matthews

On 31 December 2011 13:57, Roger Bamkin <[hidden email]> wrote:

I also searched ODNB for "Monmouth" and found so many with some tenuous connection to Monmouth under "B" that I stopped looking. Lots of people went to school in Monmouth as there are two posh schools there who trained "people for the empire" 100 years ago and quite a few notables.

"Monmouthshire" in the ODNB full text is more reasonable - around 200 hits and there are going to be fewer false positives in there. If someone can do a list of missing related DNB biographies (edition by 1912 to be PD text) then it could be posted to WP:WP DNB and we could have a look at it. This would be a way to get something new up quickly.

Charles

Re: Monmouthpedia

Gordon Joly

I am slightly bugged about this. Local history, local geography, down to very small granularity was frowned upon in years past...

Onwards and upward?

Gordo

On 30/12/2011 17:14, Roger Bamkin wrote:
Hi Tom,

I'm feeling good as I just had a press release from Monmouth County Council and I made the point that it was "Wikimedia UK" they were partnering with - and we should be mentioned. I agree that John Cummings comment is spot on. He isnt a Wikipedia old lag but quite a new Wikipedian. He is the only wikipedian as far as I know in Monmouth. We are going to try and pull off an amazing stunt of taking one Wikipedian and creating 1,000 QR codes in a town that has no other known editors. John cannot do this .... Monmouth and Wikimedia UK can.

Lots of coverage to day from The Next Web et al, BBC Wales Radio and TV and we're on Radio 4 next week. We also have "promises" of longer features. My own target is that we get a TV programme out of this. The story "broke" because John got a bit published in the Monmouth Beacon and the press ran with it. I'm not surprised, this a "meme" of an idea.

The project has not been hidden but I guess it has not occupied much board time as the idea is so simple and everyone I've spoklen to just says "got it .... lets do it". The only investment so far has been persuading "the town" that they want to do it..... and we have had no one say No, nearly everyone has said "yes ... how can we help". We have had a few who wanted to think about it, but we made it clear that this wasn't an option. We already have a university, several societies, 2/3 museums, councillors and civic societies etc committed. Initial funding is agreed.

This is a great chance for Wikimedia UK to show what it can do. It would be great if some of our members searched out some Monmouth articles or looked at the Monmouthpedia project pages and started helping. I would request however that people resist giving "a quick lesson in what you are doing wrong" to a newbie until we have helped them four of five times.

Anybody got some time to assist? It would be great to demonstrate how we collaborate to create something better then any of us can do alone.

I'm (desperately) hoping someone surprises me
Roger

On 30 December 2011 16:10, Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]> wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-16359364

I've just seen this article. I'd somehow missed this is the planning stages (I was vaguely aware of some discussion about qr codes, but hadn't realised anything had progressed this far) - it looks like a great idea.

It's a good article too, I particularly like the quote from John about being told he should implement his idea himself - that's exactly the attitude wmuk should have and we should make everyone aware of that.

The only thing I don't like about the article is that it makes it sound like a Wikipedia project, rather than a Wikimedia UK project. It's not a big deal, but we should try and get the chapter's role more emphasis.

Roger Bamkin

Gordon Joly
[hidden email]
http://www.joly.org.uk/
Don't Leave Space To The Professionals!

On 31/12/2011 21:20, Roger Bamkin wrote:
> Notability is still an issue Gordon. However the rules for places are
> "its on a map" and we will do histioric buildings but not every 1960s
> Church. AGF I think .... you will be surprised. We pulled out 100
> items at Derby Museum and none were challenged on notability.
>
> Roger.
OK. Sure. So why is Monmouth so different from.... London (UK)? As a
project?

Gordo

--

Gordon Joly
[hidden email]
http://www.joly.org.uk/
Don't Leave Space To The Professionals!

Re: Monmouthpedia

David Gerard-2
On 31 December 2011 21:54, Gordon Joly <[hidden email]> wrote:

> OK. Sure. So why is Monmouth so different from.... London (UK)? As a
> project?

Work down to the borough level. Walthamstow has an active historical
society, for instance, who have churned out reams of highly citable
text. Start at the local library and local museums and work outwards.

- d.

Re: Monmouthpedia

geni
On 31 December 2011 21:54, Gordon Joly <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 31/12/2011 21:20, Roger Bamkin wrote:
>> Notability is still an issue Gordon. However the rules for places are
>> "its on a map" and we will do histioric buildings but not every 1960s
>> Church. AGF I think .... you will be surprised. We pulled out 100
>> items at Derby Museum and none were challenged on notability.
>>
>> Roger.
> OK. Sure. So why is Monmouth so different from.... London (UK)? As a
> project?
>
> Gordo

Turn on the Wikipedia articles option on Google maps while looking at
London. Its already well covered.

--
geni

Re: Monmouthpedia

Gordon Joly
On 31/12/2011 21:58, David Gerard wrote:

> On 31 December 2011 21:54, Gordon Joly<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> OK. Sure. So why is Monmouth so different from.... London (UK)? As a
>> project?
>
> Work down to the borough level. Walthamstow has an active historical
> society, for instance, who have churned out reams of highly citable
> text. Start at the local library and local museums and work outwards.
>

> - d.

I see...... real people, not Wikipedians!

Gordo

--

Gordon Joly
[hidden email]
http://www.joly.org.uk/
Don't Leave Space To The Professionals!

Re: Monmouthpedia

Roger Bamkin
OK. Sure. So why is Monmouth so different from.... London (UK)? As a project?

I'm not sure I can compare Monmouthpedia with Project London. I only know about the former. Monmouth County Council have agreed to do this, every museum, every society we can find in the town. They are finding money and people to help us. The town councillors, the museum employees are doing stuff without being asked. John finds his way blocked by bureaucracy and we have people to phone to give us help. We have previously pitched a similar idea to two cities ... they are both still "thinking about it" .

We chose Monmouth at random cos someone suggested we do something novel in that town and wanted us to either do it or back them to do it. WMUK likes doing the latter... its what we do.

If someone could offer a similar deal in another town then I guess we would be (a bit) interested, however Monmouth will be the first place to try to be 100% Wikimedia (outside of a single GLAM ). If we manage this then WMUK can show that Wiki-pedia/ source/ and commons etc can partner a whole town.

We've never done that. We've never done anything, this size, outside England. We've never tried to involve the Welsh Wikipedia. I'm already thrilled to see that WMUK members outside Monmouth are having a go. I cannot see that a call to arms to focus on any other wikipedia project would be so successful (albeit its early days). People are seeing that this is different ... and challenging. John's ideas have been reported in several different languages, on TV and radio. I'm hoping this is going to show (e.g.) London (and other chapters) what they could do.

happy new year
Roger

On 1 January 2012 15:25, Roger Bamkin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> If someone could offer a similar deal in another town then I guess we would
> be (a bit) interested

I would hope you would be more than a bit interested. Are you not
intending this to be a pilot that, should it go well, we get copied in
other towns and cities around the country? It seems like a lot of
effort to go to for one town if the lessons learnt aren't going to be
used elsewhere.

Re: Monmouthpedia

Roger Bamkin
OK I was maybe exagerating a point. But the point (as you say) is that this is interesting as a pilot. If successful then we end up with variations on the theme, but if we are to create a scalable model then they will need to work without the national media focus etc that MonmouthpediA is enjoying.

cheers

On 1 January 2012 15:46, Roger Bamkin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> OK I was maybe exagerating a point. But the point (as you say) is that this
> is interesting as a pilot. If successful then we end up with variations on
> the theme, but if we are to create a scalable model then they will need to
> work without the national media focus etc that MonmouthpediA is enjoying.

yyyesss ... it may be less than ideal to implicitly promise the sort
of slow-season coverage this is getting.

- d.

Re: Monmouthpedia

Chris Keating-2
We've got some competition, it seems, from Ahmedabad, where there will be 230 people taking photos on Tuesday. Maybe someone should get in touch with them about QRpedia as well? :-D

Chris

Re: Monmouthpedia

Gordon Joly
On 01/01/2012 15:25, Roger Bamkin wrote:

> OK. Sure. So why is Monmouth so different from.... London (UK)? As a
> project?
>
> I'm not sure I can compare Monmouthpedia with Project London. I only
> know about the former. Monmouth County Council have agreed to do this,
> every museum, every society we can find in the town. They are finding
> money and people to help us. The town councillors, the museum
> employees are doing stuff without being asked. John finds his way
> blocked by bureaucracy and we have people to phone to give us help. We
> have previously pitched a similar idea to two cities ... they are both
> still "thinking about it" .
>
> We chose Monmouth at random cos someone suggested we do something
> novel in that town and wanted us to either do it or back them to do
> it. WMUK likes doing the latter... its what we do.

I think I had this in mind (and maybe not a close concept?)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_London

which I perceive as a "pure" Wikipedia project, like the Beer Project.

"New users should note that Wikipedia articles must have notability.
(i.e. neither my mum, my dad or the house where I was born has a
Wikipedia article). If you do write an article on something which the
community decide is not important (ie not notable) then it will be
deleted and this project can only offer sympathy. If you choose people
from Who's Who and places that are on maps then you are O.K. Old
important churches yes, any old church built in the 1960's .... probably
not. That said .... have a go! BE BOLD!"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:GLAM/MonmouthpediA/Planned_Articles

Let us hope the good people of Monmouth (and beyond) will "em" bold
"em", and not be put off Wikipedia for a few weeks/months/years (as I
was)....

Gordo

--

Gordon Joly
[hidden email]
http://www.joly.org.uk/
Don't Leave Space To The Professionals!

Re: Monmouthpedia

Doug Weller-2
Something like that seems a very good idea to me.  We need to keep the
number of deletions, reversions, etc. to a minimum so we don't get a
lot of complaints.
Doug

On Mon, Jan 2, 2012 at 12:52 PM, Gordon Joly <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 01/01/2012 15:25, Roger Bamkin wrote:
>> OK. Sure. So why is Monmouth so different from.... London (UK)? As a
>> project?
>>
>> I'm not sure I can compare Monmouthpedia with Project London. I only
>> know about the former. Monmouth County Council have agreed to do this,
>> every museum, every society we can find in the town. They are finding
>> money and people to help us. The town councillors, the museum
>> employees are doing stuff without being asked. John finds his way
>> blocked by bureaucracy and we have people to phone to give us help. We
>> have previously pitched a similar idea to two cities ... they are both
>> still "thinking about it" .
>>
>> We chose Monmouth at random cos someone suggested we do something
>> novel in that town and wanted us to either do it or back them to do
>> it. WMUK likes doing the latter... its what we do.
>
> I think I had this in mind (and maybe not a close concept?)
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_London
>
> which I perceive as a "pure" Wikipedia project, like the Beer Project.
>
> "New users should note that Wikipedia articles must have notability.
> (i.e. neither my mum, my dad or the house where I was born has a
> Wikipedia article). If you do write an article on something which the
> community decide is not important (ie not notable) then it will be
> deleted and this project can only offer sympathy. If you choose people
> from Who's Who and places that are on maps then you are O.K. Old
> important churches yes, any old church built in the 1960's .... probably
> not. That said .... have a go! BE BOLD!"
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:GLAM/MonmouthpediA/Planned_Articles
>
> Let us hope the good people of Monmouth (and beyond) will "em" bold
> "em", and not be put off Wikipedia for a few weeks/months/years (as I
> was)....
>
> Gordo
>
> --
>
> Gordon Joly
> [hidden email]
> http://www.joly.org.uk/
> Don't Leave Space To The Professionals!

Doug Weller
http://www.ramtops.co.uk

Re: Monmouthpedia

Gordon Joly
On 02/01/2012 12:52, Gordon Joly wrote:
> I think I had this in mind (and maybe not a close concept?)
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_London
>
> which I perceive as a "pure" Wikipedia project, like the Beer Project.
What of WP:CARDIFF?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:CARDIFF

Gordo