Monthly/Yearly Edits per country

Adam Ferris
Hello all,

I am new to this mailing list, and a new researcher so apologies if this is not the right mailing list for this question, but I hope you might be able to help me.

I am trying to recreate the map included below, with Wikipedia edits per 10,000 internet users but with newer data, I was hoping year 2018 data that I can then average per month, although it doesn’t have to be a Calendar year I suppose, it could be Feb-2018 to Feb-2019.
The key is that I would like newer data. I have looked at the sources of these maps, and they all seem to end in 2013 or 2014. This source got me close, but has no Edit data, only Viewing data.
https://stats.wikimedia.org/wikimedia/squids/SquidReportPageViewsPerCountryBreakdown.htm

Could anyone help me in finding the right dataset to recreate this map? (Image too heavy to be sent in email)
Like this image:
https://i0.wp.com/geonet.oii.ox.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/sites/46/2016/09/Wikipedia_EditsPerMonth-1-1.png

From this article:
https://www.oii.ox.ac.uk/blog/the-geography-of-wikipedia-edits/

I’m very grateful for any help you can offer me.

Very best,
Adam

Re: Monthly/Yearly Edits per country

Kerry Raymond
Maybe I am missing something but, while you can geolocate anonymous contributors (well to the extent you can reliably geolocate any IP address), you cannot geolocate logged-in users. Of course the WMF servers do know the IP addresses used by the logged-in users but this is suppressed for privacy reasons. So either you are seeing data based only on anonymous users (which is unlikely to be a representative sample) or the WMF have chosen to compile and release this data set. There is no way anyone else could compile the geolocations of all contributions.

So I am curious what the 2014 data you are pointing us to really represents.

Kerry

Sent from my iPad