Multilingual wiki

Erik Luken
Hi,

What is the best way to set up multilingual capabilities on an existing wiki? I administer a wiki that has gained some international followers, and they’d like to translate it into their own language to help promote it. Searching the mediawiki.org site shows a number of extensions, but none really seem to suit. Ideally, I’d like to have a situation where there is pageX_en and pageX_de, pageX_ru, etc. Are there any recommended practices for setting this up?

Re: Multilingual wiki

Svip
On 8 February 2012 22:22, Erik Luken <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What is the best way to set up multilingual capabilities on an existing wiki? I administer a wiki
> that has gained some international followers, and they’d like to translate it into their own
> language to help promote it. Searching the mediawiki.org site shows a number of extensions,
> but none really seem to suit. Ideally, I’d like to have a situation where there is pageX_en and
> pageX_de, pageX_ru, etc. Are there any recommended practices for setting this up?

It is usually pageX/en, pageX/de, etc. actually.

But in that case, you can just do it with a template rather than extension.

Re: Multilingual wiki

Erik Luken
>> What is the best way to set up multilingual capabilities on an existing
>> wiki? I administer a wiki
>> that has gained some international followers, and they’d like to
>> translate it into their own
>> language to help promote it. Searching the mediawiki.org site shows a
>> number of extensions,
>> but none really seem to suit. Ideally, I’d like to have a situation where
>> there is pageX_en and
>> pageX_de, pageX_ru, etc. Are there any recommended practices for setting
>> this up?
>
>It is usually pageX/en, pageX/de, etc. actually.
>
>But in that case, you can just do it with a template rather than extension.

Okay. So for example, at the bottom of
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/LocalSettings.php#Language_of_user_interface
there is a block containing a number of languages. I am going to presume
that the translations are user provided rather than some automated process.

I did find in the documentation on that page the section for the language of
the user interface. However it does not seem to support multiple entries.
Currently I have it set to "en", I'd potentially like to add "ru", "de", and
"it" to the list. As an added bonus, I do not have shell access to the
servers (whee). In toying with the user preferences, I can change the
interface language around to a multitude of different options. However, the
content remains in English. Also as described in
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Multilingual_MediaWiki#Admin_choices, it does
not really define how to support additional languages, nor does the
localsettings.php file or documentation give any real clue as to how to
accomplish this.

Creating pages such as pageX/de does work, but there is nothing to specify
that this page is actually in German, other than the author writing it in
German. As an example on my wiki, I've created the page
http://aurorawiki.pentarch.org/index.php?title=Newpage/de. The contents are
Merry Christmas in both English and German. One page I read on the
mediawiki.org site seemed to say that there should be a droplist with
languages on page creation.
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Multilingual_MediaWiki page under Language
filtering shows a droplist for languages.

So after reading this information, it seems that I should create an
additional namespace for each language that I want to enable, or am I
missing something fairly obvious and simple?

Re: Multilingual wiki

Amir E. Aharoni
2012/2/8 Erik Luken <[hidden email]>:
> Hi,
>
> What is the best way to set up multilingual capabilities on an existing wiki? I administer a wiki that has gained some international followers, and they’d like to translate it into their own language to help promote it. Searching the mediawiki.org site shows a number of extensions, but none really seem to suit. Ideally, I’d like to have a situation where there is pageX_en and pageX_de, pageX_ru, etc. Are there any recommended practices for setting this up?

Hi Erik,

I'm not sure what your exact scenario is, but these pages may help:
* General info about MediaWiki localization capabilities:
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Localisation

An extension that gives you and your users an easy and structured way
to translate pages.
* http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Translate
* http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Extension:Translate

When used properly, this extension will create the links to the
translations automatically.

You should also know that in MediaWiki in general every user can
easily set his interface language in the preferences. The support for
this in MediaWiki 1.18 became even better.

Another possible scenario is to go the Wikipedia way and install
several instances of MediaWiki and enable interlanguage links; see
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Interlanguage_links . You can also mix
both ways.

If you'll describe in more detail to what extent do you want to
translate your wiki, we may be able to help more.

http://aharoni.wordpress.com
‪“We're living in pieces,
I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬

Re: Multilingual wiki

Svip
On 9 February 2012 08:51, Amir E. Aharoni <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2012/2/8 Erik Luken <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> What is the best way to set up multilingual capabilities on an existing wiki? I administer a wiki that has gained some international followers, and they’d like to translate it into their own language to help promote it. Searching the mediawiki.org site shows a number of extensions, but none really seem to suit. Ideally, I’d like to have a situation where there is pageX_en and pageX_de, pageX_ru, etc. Are there any recommended practices for setting this up?
>
> Hi Erik,
>
> I'm not sure what your exact scenario is, but these pages may help:
> * General info about MediaWiki localization capabilities:
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Localisation
>
> An extension that gives you and your users an easy and structured way
> to translate pages.
> * http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Translate
> * http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Extension:Translate
>
> When used properly, this extension will create the links to the
> translations automatically.
>
> You should also know that in MediaWiki in general every user can
> easily set his interface language in the preferences. The support for
> this in MediaWiki 1.18 became even better.
>
> Another possible scenario is to go the Wikipedia way and install
> several instances of MediaWiki and enable interlanguage links; see
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Interlanguage_links . You can also mix
> both ways.
>
> If you'll describe in more detail to what extent do you want to
> translate your wiki, we may be able to help more.

I hate to undermine such an excellent post, but he mentions in his
second post that he has no shell access.  So extensions and wiki
families are out of the question, I'm afraid.

Re: Multilingual wiki

Amir E. Aharoni
2012/2/9 Svip <[hidden email]>:

> On 9 February 2012 08:51, Amir E. Aharoni <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> 2012/2/8 Erik Luken <[hidden email]>:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> What is the best way to set up multilingual capabilities on an existing wiki? I administer a wiki that has gained some international followers, and they’d like to translate it into their own language to help promote it. Searching the mediawiki.org site shows a number of extensions, but none really seem to suit. Ideally, I’d like to have a situation where there is pageX_en and pageX_de, pageX_ru, etc. Are there any recommended practices for setting this up?
>>
>> Hi Erik,
>>
>> I'm not sure what your exact scenario is, but these pages may help:
>> * General info about MediaWiki localization capabilities:
>> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Localisation
>>
>> An extension that gives you and your users an easy and structured way
>> to translate pages.
>> * http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Translate
>> * http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Extension:Translate
>>
>> When used properly, this extension will create the links to the
>> translations automatically.
>>
>> You should also know that in MediaWiki in general every user can
>> easily set his interface language in the preferences. The support for
>> this in MediaWiki 1.18 became even better.
>>
>> Another possible scenario is to go the Wikipedia way and install
>> several instances of MediaWiki and enable interlanguage links; see
>> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Interlanguage_links . You can also mix
>> both ways.
>>
>> If you'll describe in more detail to what extent do you want to
>> translate your wiki, we may be able to help more.
>
> I hate to undermine such an excellent post, but he mentions in his
> second post that he has no shell access.  So extensions and wiki
> families are out of the question, I'm afraid.

Grrr, missed that :(

Well, adding namespace would be a somewhat weird solution.

It's probably better to use subpages - Page/fr for French etc., or to
simply add pages in other languages and link between them using clever
templates, as it is done on many pages on meta.wikimedia.org, such as
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Polls_are_evil .

Re: Multilingual wiki

david-217
If you can ask the server admin to add extensions I recommend:

* Polyglot: it will redirect the user to the page in his language, if
exist, depending on his browser language (you must to identify the page
language using subpagenames /de /ru /es ...). There must to be a 'base
language' without subpagename.
* LanguageSelector: the user can choose his navigation language, it
changes the interface language, and, combined with Polyglot, redirects
him to the page in the choosen language if exists, ignoring the browser
language

Attention: take the last SVN version of Polyglot because the version in
the snapshot don't works with Mw 1.18.

Links:
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Polyglot
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:LanguageSelector

El dc 08 de 02 de 2012 a les 16:12 -0600, en/na Erik Luken va escriure:

> >> What is the best way to set up multilingual capabilities on an existing
> >> wiki? I administer a wiki
> >> that has gained some international followers, and they’d like to
> >> translate it into their own
> >> language to help promote it. Searching the mediawiki.org site shows a
> >> number of extensions,
> >> but none really seem to suit. Ideally, I’d like to have a situation where
> >> there is pageX_en and
> >> pageX_de, pageX_ru, etc. Are there any recommended practices for setting
> >> this up?
> >
> >It is usually pageX/en, pageX/de, etc. actually.
> >
> >But in that case, you can just do it with a template rather than extension.
>
> Okay. So for example, at the bottom of
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/LocalSettings.php#Language_of_user_interface
> there is a block containing a number of languages. I am going to presume
> that the translations are user provided rather than some automated process.
>
> I did find in the documentation on that page the section for the language of
> the user interface. However it does not seem to support multiple entries.
> Currently I have it set to "en", I'd potentially like to add "ru", "de", and
> "it" to the list. As an added bonus, I do not have shell access to the
> servers (whee). In toying with the user preferences, I can change the
> interface language around to a multitude of different options. However, the
> content remains in English. Also as described in
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Multilingual_MediaWiki#Admin_choices, it does
> not really define how to support additional languages, nor does the
> localsettings.php file or documentation give any real clue as to how to
> accomplish this.
>
> Creating pages such as pageX/de does work, but there is nothing to specify
> that this page is actually in German, other than the author writing it in
> German. As an example on my wiki, I've created the page
> http://aurorawiki.pentarch.org/index.php?title=Newpage/de. The contents are
> Merry Christmas in both English and German. One page I read on the
> mediawiki.org site seemed to say that there should be a droplist with
> languages on page creation.
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Multilingual_MediaWiki page under Language
> filtering shows a droplist for languages.
>
> So after reading this information, it seems that I should create an
> additional namespace for each language that I want to enable, or am I
> missing something fairly obvious and simple?

Re: Multilingual wiki

Erik Luken
I am actually able to install extensions. As long as they don't require me
to execute command line instructions. I'll look into the translate extension
and see if that will work for me.

wrote:

> 2012/2/8 Erik Luken <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> What is the best way to set up multilingual capabilities on an existing
>> wiki? I administer a wiki that has gained some international followers,
>> and they’d like to translate it into their own language to help promote
>> it. Searching the mediawiki.org site shows a number of extensions, but
>> none really seem to suit. Ideally, I’d like to have a situation where
>> there is pageX_en and pageX_de, pageX_ru, etc. Are there any recommended
>> practices for setting this up?
>
> Hi Erik,
>
> I'm not sure what your exact scenario is, but these pages may help:
> * General info about MediaWiki localization capabilities:
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Localisation
>
> An extension that gives you and your users an easy and structured way
> to translate pages.
> * http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Translate
> * http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Extension:Translate
>
> When used properly, this extension will create the links to the
> translations automatically.
>
> You should also know that in MediaWiki in general every user can
> easily set his interface language in the preferences. The support for
> this in MediaWiki 1.18 became even better.
>
> Another possible scenario is to go the Wikipedia way and install
> several instances of MediaWiki and enable interlanguage links; see
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Interlanguage_links . You can also mix
> both ways.
>
> If you'll describe in more detail to what extent do you want to
> translate your wiki, we may be able to help more.

I hate to undermine such an excellent post, but he mentions in his
second post that he has no shell access.  So extensions and wiki
families are out of the question, I'm afraid.

Re: Multilingual wiki

Anne Wilson-4
On Wednesday 08 February 2012 21:22:30 Anne Wilson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What is the best way to set up multilingual capabilities on an existing
> wiki? I administer a wiki that has gained some international followers,
> and they’d like to translate it into their own language to help promote
> it. Searching the mediawiki.org site shows a number of extensions, but
> none really seem to suit. Ideally, I’d like to have a situation where
> there is pageX_en and pageX_de, pageX_ru, etc. Are there any recommended
> practices for setting this up?

There are two main problems - first, that the pages can get out of sync, and
second that there is no easy way for translators to be reminded about what
needs doing.  That is, by the old way of doing it.

It sounds to me as though you want the same as we wanted in our wiki -
translations of English pages, kept easily in sync, with all new input being
on the English page.  If that is your requirement, Niklas Laxstrom's Translate
extension is for you.  You can see how it works for us if you visit
http://userbase.kde.org.  We'd be happy to answer questions on Freenode's
#kde-www.

Anne