Multimedia Plan for 2014-15

Fabrice Florin-2
Greetings!

Last week, the multimedia team had its first planning meeting for 2014-15 and we would like to share our proposed goals for the coming year (July 2014 to June 2015).

1. Goals
This year, we would like to focus on improving the contribution and editing workflows, while addressing our technical debt and fixing critical bugs. To that end, we aim to:
• engage more users to contribute media
• add more media content on our sites
• provide a smoother experience for all
• fix critical bugs to make things work better

2. Users
Last year, we focused mostly on readers, with a focus on Media Viewer. This year, we propose to switch our focus to these users:
contributors -- the people who upload media on our sites
• editors -- the people who add media on articles

Note that we aim to support both casual and experienced users within each group. We will initially focus on Commons users, then move on to serve more users on Wikipedia and other sitesSecondary user groups include admins, campaign organizers and developers.

3. Activities
This year, we propose to invest our time on these main activities:
Structured Data: improve the way we store metadata — an important goal, because most other features depend on it.
• Critical Bugs: fix urgent bugs in our infrastructure -- and become more familiar with our entire code base, including:
  - Image scalers, Core media handling, TimedMediaHandler, Media backend storage, Media Viewer, etc.
• Features: develop or improve user-facing projects, including:
  - Upload Wizard -- our main user-facing project this year (includes Commons Upgrade and Modal Tool for other sites)
  - Other Features -- Media Viewer 0.3, File Notifications, File Page, Kaltura Player Upgrade, Campaign Tools

4. Roadmap
We plan to spread out these activities throughout the coming year, as proposed in this rough timeline:
• Q1: metrics, upload wizard fixes, structured data planning, bug fixes
• Q2: structured data on Commons, new
upload features, bug fixes
• Q3: more structured data,
 modal upload tools, media viewer, notifications, bug fixes
• Q4: insert media tools, A/V upgrade, file pages, more bug fixes

For a more detailed roadmap, visit this planning page for 2014-2015:

Note that these first milestones may be adjusted in coming weeks (and will be updated on a quarterly basis), based on prior quarter's results, as well as community and team discussions. To that end, we invite you to leave your feedback on this plan’s discussion page.

5. Upload Wizard
We have now started our first phase of planning and development on Upload Wizard, and have prepared a first task list and proposed timeline on this updated project page:

In coming weeks, we will host focused community discussions about this Upload Wizard plan and its key features. We look forward to discussing some of the main challenges and solutions together. For now, please leave comments on that project’s discussion page.

Many thanks to all the community and team members who took the time to guide our work this year. We look forward to more great collaborations with you next year. :)

Regards as ever,

Fabrice - for the Multimedia Team

Re: Multimedia Plan for 2014-15

Hay (Husky)
On Tue, Jun 3, 2014 at 1:59 AM, Fabrice Florin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> • Q1: metrics, upload wizard fixes, structured data planning, bug fixes
> • Q2: structured data on Commons, new upload features, bug fixes
I'm delighted that structured data and metrics made it to the top
priorities for the multimedia team and we're going to see improvements
there. Long overdue, and i think that GLAM's all around the world will
be very happy when they can finally update the metadata and see proper
views for their uploaded media collections.

-- Hay

Re: Multimedia Plan for 2014-15

Jean-Frédéric

• Q3: […] modal upload tools […]

Could you elaborate on what this term encompass? From the MediaWiki pages, I gather that this is about providing upload/multimedia bits & pieces to be used in other tools like VE or the mobile site? What would be these bits and pieces exactly? Would they be made only to be used by Wikimedia tools, or should we see it as libraires to build stuff outside (like, for example, desktop upload tools, or image editing software addons) ?

Jean-Frédéric

Re: Multimedia Plan for 2014-15

Alex Brollo
Please don't forget wikisource needs - t.i. djvu files support. :-)

Alex

• Q3: […] modal upload tools […]

Could you elaborate on what this term encompass? From the MediaWiki pages, I gather that this is about providing upload/multimedia bits & pieces to be used in other tools like VE or the mobile site? What would be these bits and pieces exactly? Would they be made only to be used by Wikimedia tools, or should we see it as libraires to build stuff outside (like, for example, desktop upload tools, or image editing software addons) ?

Jean-Frédéric

Re: Multimedia Plan for 2014-15

Fabrice Florin-2
Hi Jean-Fréderic and Alex,

Thanks for your feedback!

See my responses inline below.

Fabrice

On Jun 3, 2014, at 6:57 AM, Alex Brollo <[hidden email]> wrote:

Please don't forget wikisource needs - t.i. djvu files support. :-)

Alex

Good point.

We propose to take on support for other file formats like djvu, pdf and a/v in Q4, once we’ve completed the structured data and upload wizard projects.

• Q3: […] modal upload tools […]

Could you elaborate on what this term encompass? From the MediaWiki pages, I gather that this is about providing upload/multimedia bits & pieces to be used in other tools like VE or the mobile site? What would be these bits and pieces exactly? Would they be made only to be used by Wikimedia tools, or should we see it as libraires to build stuff outside (like, for example, desktop upload tools, or image editing software addons) ?

The goal of this project is to make it easier to upload media from other places than the main upload wizard on Commons. For example, you should be able to upload a file from an article that needs more pictures, using a modal tool that pops up over that page.

Here are some early mockups from the upload wizard planning slides (#21-25):

So this would consist of modular code and a user interface for basic upload functions on our sites, as well as cross-wiki upload support.

Initially, we would focus on supporting the needs of other product teams that need this tool, starting with the Visual Editor, Flow and/or Mobile. Once we have it up and running for these first projects, we will evaluate their usefulness for other projects as well.

We appreciate your forward-looking invitation to provide libraries for using this tool outside WMF features (e.g. desktop upload tools, or image editing software addons).

We hope you can join one of our upcoming discussions to help us define this product further — with the understanding that we will need to move one step at a time :)

Jean-Frédéric

_______________________________

Fabrice Florin
Product Manager

Re: [Multimedia] Multimedia Plan for 2014-15

Gergo Tisza
On Wed, Jun 4, 2014 at 1:45 PM, Brian Wolff <[hidden email]> wrote:
> 4. Roadmap
> We plan to spread out these activities throughout the coming year, as
> proposed in this rough timeline:
> • Q1: metrics, upload wizard fixes, structured data planning, bug fixes

From the linked page, "Multimedia Metrics - upload funnel analysis,
drop-off rate, UI clicks, # uploads, # uploaders, other upload tools,
files used"

So this is going to exclude the types of metrics that GLAM folks are
interested in? (From what I understand (I'm not sure about this, so
correct me if I am wrong), glam folks are interested in page hits for
media files (Currently we have hits for file description pages, but
not the file assets) along with improvements/support for Magnus's
glamourus thing and more query-able versions of the hourly page hits
statistics in the vein of what Henrik does)

File view count is something we plan to work on (see #628 and the related thread on analytics-l).
AFAIK improving pageview stats is something the analytics team intends to take on; for us it is not really in scope.
GLAMorous is about file usage; we plan to track usage of file groups (to see whether there is a difference in the usefulness of files uploaded in different ways). The way we will do that might or might not be useful for GLAM people, it is too early to say. (Of course if they tell us what exactly they need, that will increase the chance of us being able to choose an implementation which they can use as well.)

Re: [Multimedia] Multimedia Plan for 2014-15

Erik Moeller-4
On Wed, Jun 4, 2014 at 4:13 PM, Gergo Tisza <[hidden email]> wrote:

> (Of course if they tell us what exactly they need, that will increase the chance
> of us being able to choose an implementation which they can use as well.)

Lots of well-organized thinking on that already:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a2/Report_on_requirements_for_usage_and_reuse_statistics_for_GLAM_content.pdf
https://outreach.wikimedia.org/wiki/GLAM/Resources/Tools

--
Erik Möller