Multiple virtual "spaces"/containers/wikis within one wiki instance

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Multiple virtual "spaces"/containers/wikis within one wiki instance

Tim Watts
Hi,

I hope this is the correct list to ask this:

Anyone familiar with Confluence will know about the concept of "spaces"
which are essentially logical containers for different topics, keeping
groups of pages confined to their topic group.

I wonder if anyone knew if MediaWiki has any plugins to emulate such
behaviour?


I have been asked to host wikis for another university department.

They want to have a "wiki" per research project and new "wikis" will be
needed on an ongoing basis.

When I say "wiki" this could be one site with one physical instance, as
long as ProjectX gets its own logical space with a link off the front page.

It is not so important to have fine grained permissions control as
Confluence offers - just need the ability to keep stuff apart.

I could solve this problem with multiple wikis on the same server, but
we are really looking for something where the users could create "wiki"s
themselves.

Sadly, google is not my friend as "multiple spaces" is a bad search
term, I've tried "containers", "multiple sites" etc.

Any good ideas received with thanks :)

Regards,

Tim

--
Tim Watts
Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim/

_______________________________________________
MediaWiki-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Multiple virtual "spaces"/containers/wikis within onewiki instance

nakohdo
Hi Tim,

> Anyone familiar with Confluence will know about the concept of "spaces"
> which are essentially logical containers for different topics, keeping
> groups of pages confined to their topic group.

> I wonder if anyone knew if MediaWiki has any plugins to emulate such
> behaviour?
You should come a long way using categories and/or custom name spaces.

You might also have a look at Semantic Wiki for content control within a page.

hth
Frank

_______________________________________________
MediaWiki-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Multiple virtual "spaces"/containers/wikis within onewiki instance

Tim Watts
On 25/01/12 09:17, Frank Ralf wrote:

> Hi Tim,
>
>> Anyone familiar with Confluence will know about the concept of "spaces"
>> which are essentially logical containers for different topics, keeping
>> groups of pages confined to their topic group.
>
>> I wonder if anyone knew if MediaWiki has any plugins to emulate such
>> behaviour?
> You should come a long way using categories and/or custom name spaces.
>
> You might also have a look at Semantic Wiki for content control within a page.
>
> hth
> Frank
>
> _______________________________________________
> MediaWiki-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l

Thanks Frank - I'll look into those. I already have a clean MediaWiki
install to play with, so I'll try some things as you suggest.

Many thanks! :)

Tim

--
Tim Watts
Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim/

_______________________________________________
MediaWiki-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Multiple virtual "spaces"/containers/wikis within onewiki instance

Platonides
On 25/01/12 10:32, Tim Watts wrote:
> Thanks Frank - I'll look into those. I already have a clean MediaWiki
> install to play with, so I'll try some things as you suggest.
>
> Many thanks! :)
>
> Tim

Maybe also subpages.


_______________________________________________
MediaWiki-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Multiple virtual "spaces"/containers/wikis within onewiki instance

Tim Watts
On 28/01/12 23:21, Platonides wrote:

> On 25/01/12 10:32, Tim Watts wrote:
>> Thanks Frank - I'll look into those. I already have a clean MediaWiki
>> install to play with, so I'll try some things as you suggest.
>>
>> Many thanks! :)
>>
>> Tim
>
> Maybe also subpages.
>
>

I did play with Frank's suggestions. Not come across subpages - will
look at these - ta :)

I did try out one of the "competition's offerings" - specifically the
GPL version of Mindtouch.

Without comparing absolute merits of various offerings, and not wishing
to insult anyone here - it may be that Mindtouch's approach suits the
target users better.

The MediaWiki way is workable, but with manual maintenance of namespace
prefixes or categories required, I have a bad feeling as the target
users do not have a technical background on the whole.

A simple approach of "be in the right place" and "click new page" to get
an implicit hierarchy is probably what they are after, based on an
initial chat with them.

But I will certainly follow on with MediaWiki some more - there will be
other projects for which the power and flexibility will be useful.

Cheers!

Tim


--
Tim Watts
Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim/

_______________________________________________
MediaWiki-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Multiple virtual "spaces"/containers/wikis withinonewiki instance

nakohdo
> The MediaWiki way is workable, but with manual maintenance of namespace
> prefixes or categories required, I have a bad feeling as the target
> users do not have a technical background on the whole.

> A simple approach of "be in the right place" and "click new page" to get
> an implicit hierarchy is probably what they are after, based on an
> initial chat with them.
I find http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:CreateArticle quite useful.
Users get an input box for creating new pages which takes care of some naming conventions, e.g. namespace. And you can easily add a template for the new page together with intstructions on what to fill in where.




_______________________________________________
MediaWiki-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l