Museums that allow photography, e.g. V&A

Museums that allow photography, e.g. V&A

David Gerard-2
I went to the V&A last week and took photos of everything I could,
which I really should upload some time sooner rather than later. In
fact, I want a better camera for low light just to do the V&A.

Their photo policy is "feel free", just don't use a flash and don't be
a nuisance. There are a limited number of exhibitions they ask for no
photography in (there's the Design in China one at the moment, for
example), but mostly you can take pics of anything.

So - apart from those of you with cameras that are good in low light
photographing every damn thing to be found in the entire V&A ...

1. Do we have a list of photographer-friendly museums?

2. (the biggie) How do we thank V&A for their openness? And how do we
do it in such a way as to encourage *other* museums to open their
collections up to free content photography? I'm thinking talking to
them and working out a joint press release.

Has anyone here gone hogwild with a camera in UK museums? Do please tell!

- d.

Re: Museums that allow photography, e.g. V&A

Andrew Gray

>  So - apart from those of you with cameras that are good in low light
>  photographing every damn thing to be found in the entire V&A ...
>
>  1. Do we have a list of photographer-friendly museums?

The Ashmolean in Oxford has the single most honest photography policy
I've ever seen in a museum or art gallery - they're happy for you to
take photographs, though I think they restrict flashes, *except* for
about 10% (?) of the displayed artworks, where they have a discreet
little sign next to them asking you to please not photograph.

(These are things like, eg, the interesting Turners; stuff where
reproduction rights are actually worth a reasonable sum of money; I
suspect one or two may be loaned stock where this is part of the
agreement.)

Their interests are served - they keep control of the ones which mean
an income stream for them - but they try not to make it overly affect
the visitor.

--
- Andrew Gray

Re: Museums that allow photography, e.g. V&A

geni

> I went to the V&A last week and took photos of everything I could,
>  which I really should upload some time sooner rather than later. In
>  fact, I want a better camera for low light just to do the V&A.
>
>  Their photo policy is "feel free", just don't use a flash and don't be
>  a nuisance. There are a limited number of exhibitions they ask for no
>  photography in (there's the Design in China one at the moment, for
>  example), but mostly you can take pics of anything.
>
>  So - apart from those of you with cameras that are good in low light
>  photographing every damn thing to be found in the entire V&A ...

The next generation of high end point and shoots may include an
increasing number of low light features  (well they will if the
manufacturers decide that 12 mega pixels is enough for now).

>  1. Do we have a list of photographer-friendly museums?

The various national museums (science museum, Natural history museum,
Fort nelson etc)

Pit rivers (although the light levels there mean that you may not be
able to do very much)

Never run across issues with English heritage

County museums vary

The biggest problem from our POV is the national trust. Not only do
you need permission to take photos but their permission system suffers
from being over centralised with the result that the closest
description they can get to the average wikipedian photographer
appears to be freelance. In cases like this to make working through
the system worthwhile you would really need a group of people looking
to take photos.

--
geni

Re: Museums that allow photography, e.g. V&A

Chris McKenna
Generally transport museums seem to be photographer friendly, on several
occasions I've taken loads of photos at the National Railway Museum in
York and the London Transport Museum Depot in Acton (some of both are on
Commons, the rest will appear at some point when I've got around to
sorting them. Don't hold your breath).

The Museum In The Docklands (near Canary Wharf) were also fine with
photography iirc, but there wasn't much there that would photograph that
well.

Chris

--
Chris McKenna

[hidden email]
www.sucs.org/~cmckenna

but with the heart

Antoine de Saint Exupery

On 28/03/2008, Chris McKenna <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  The Museum In The Docklands (near Canary Wharf) were also fine with
>  photography iirc, but there wasn't much there that would photograph that
>  well.

The things themselves, the available angles or the amount of light?
(The V&A keeps the light *really* low on the old stuff. A lot of it is
in cabinets where the only light it gets is when someone actually
takes it out to look at it.) Any DSLR with even the kit lens will be
small enough not to be a damn nuisance but have enough of a light
bucket on the front tcope with low light.

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008, David Gerard wrote:

> On 28/03/2008, Chris McKenna <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>  The Museum In The Docklands (near Canary Wharf) were also fine with
>>  photography iirc, but there wasn't much there that would photograph that
>>  well.
>

> The things themselves, the available angles or the amount of light?
> (The V&A keeps the light *really* low on the old stuff. A lot of it is
> in cabinets where the only light it gets is when someone actually
> takes it out to look at it.) Any DSLR with even the kit lens will be
> small enough not to be a damn nuisance but have enough of a light
> bucket on the front tcope with low light.
>

> - d.

The things themselves - the majority of the museum is text displays with a
few reconstructed models and few actual artifacts. Light levels wouldn't
have been a problem there.

Chris

--
Chris McKenna

[hidden email]
www.sucs.org/~cmckenna

but with the heart

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Re: Museums that allow photography, e.g. V&A

Thomas Dalton
>  Their photo policy is "feel free", just don't use a flash and don't be
>  a nuisance.

But what are you allowed to do with the photos afterwards? If it's
really old stuff, then it's presumably PD and no problem (in the vast
majority of cases, at least), but if they have any newer things are
you allowed to distribute the photos?

Re: Museums that allow photography, e.g. V&A

Andrew Gray
On 28/03/2008, Chris McKenna <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Generally transport museums seem to be photographer friendly, on several
>  occasions I've taken loads of photos at the National Railway Museum in
>  York and the London Transport Museum Depot in Acton (some of both are on
>  Commons, the rest will appear at some point when I've got around to
>  sorting them. Don't hold your breath).

The Imperial War Museum is pretty good, though the light levels leave
something to be desired.

--
- Andrew Gray