My post to User:Prad2609

Srikeit

[Something I posted as a message to Pradeep's talk page on his decision to retire from Wikipedia. But I think may make sense to many of you. Please ignore if you think I'm caballing]

Why retire from here?

Remember the good old days? When we used to edit in our own cocoons? The only communication between two editors was through talk pages and the occasional use of [[Special:Emailuser]]. And we had fun. That fun is why we're still here.

We moved on to more communication, more outreach. All good. We need to spread the word. We're evangelists of the noblest of causes. It's all good.

Now there are mailing lists. And IRC. And meetups. And Chat. Chain mails and more chain mails. Each more frustrating than the other. We're all in cabals. If not voluntarily, we're slotted into them by force of opinion. As this message is being read by others visiting this page, I'm being slotted into one. You have to be pro-someone and anti-someone else. And we fight till our teeth come loose. And then some more. Politics is fun now. Wikipedia, not so much.

And if this lack of AGF, too much BITE, BATTLE and blah is too much, retire. But not from Wikipedia.

Retire from the mailing lists, the meetups, the cabals and the works. If you're considering quitting Wikipedia, quit those instead. Wikipedia can still be fun. Edit the articles on astronomy and India space projects again. India-related patrolling. Contribute to Commons. Only respond to messages on your talk page. And that occasional email.

As an experienced editor who's largely inactive, I've considered retiring often rather than staying in limbo. Time and again, I've decided not to. I may not be able to contribute regularly, but I can step in that one time when all the experience probably counts for something. Because Wikipedia was there for me when I really needed it and I will be there when it really needs me.

We've been struggling with editor retention and that's understandable. People quitting Wikipedia because it's now a battleground is understandable. Valuable, experienced editors quitting because the mailing lists are suffocating, is NOT.

You can edit. Always.

Cheers

~~~~

Re: My post to User:Prad2609

Sudhanwa Jogalekar
Don't worry Srikeit ,

That is a temporary phase.
IIRC, he was out of the mailing list/s also some weeks/months back. :-)

Let him take some wikiholidays and come back afresh.

Regards
-Sudhanwa

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 1:10 AM, Srikeit <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [Something I posted as a message to Pradeep's talk page on his decision to
> retire from Wikipedia. But I think may make sense to many of you. Please
> ignore if you think I'm caballing]
>

> Why retire from here?
>
> Remember the good old days? When we used to edit in our own cocoons? The
> only communication between two editors was through talk pages and the
> occasional use of [[Special:Emailuser]]. And we had fun. That fun is why
> we're still here.
>
> We moved on to more communication, more outreach. All good. We need to
> spread the word. We're evangelists of the noblest of causes. It's all good.

[snip]

Re: My post to User:Prad2609

Srikanth Ramakrishnan-2
Srikeit, I agree with you. Personally, my edits in 2009 dipped heavily
after I joined the list and I started going to offline meets. I myself
had disabled deliveries from this list, only to create a new account
for it. Sad.
As for retirement, don't worry. I'd give him some time to think over
it. It took me five months to think, realise and take that retired
banner off my userpage. Let's hope Pradeep thinks faster than me.

Srikanth Ramakrishnan.

Re: My post to User:Prad2609

wheredevelsdare
Please dont underestimate things - they are far more serious than they were in the past.

Srikeit: The issues are far too serious to leave aside. There so much involved and things look so dark, I myself am at wits end. The question is does one have the time and energy to take them up or does one just given up and leave.

> From: [hidden email]

> Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 01:29:52 +0530
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Wikimediaindia-l] My post to User:Prad2609
>
> Don't worry Srikeit ,
>
> That is a temporary phase.
> IIRC, he was out of the mailing list/s also some weeks/months back. :-)
>
> Let him take some wikiholidays and come back afresh.
>
> Regards
> -Sudhanwa
>

> On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 1:10 AM, Srikeit <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > [Something I posted as a message to Pradeep's talk page on his decision to
> > retire from Wikipedia. But I think may make sense to many of you. Please
> > ignore if you think I'm caballing]
> >

> > Why retire from here?
> >
> > Remember the good old days? When we used to edit in our own cocoons? The
> > only communication between two editors was through talk pages and the
> > occasional use of [[Special:Emailuser]]. And we had fun. That fun is why
> > we're still here.
> >
> > We moved on to more communication, more outreach. All good. We need to
> > spread the word. We're evangelists of the noblest of causes. It's all good.
> >

> [snip]

Re: My post to User:Prad2609

Dhaval S. Vyas

I fully agree with you 'wheredevelsdare', this issue is serious and can't be neglected.

On 27 Mar 2012 06:23, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Please dont underestimate things - they are far more serious than they were in the past.

Srikeit: The issues are far too serious to leave aside. There so much involved and things look so dark, I myself am at wits end. The question is does one have the time and energy to take them up or does one just given up and leave.

> From: [hidden email]
> Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 01:29:52 +0530
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Wikimediaindia-l] My post to User:Prad2609
>
> Don't worry Srikeit ,
>
> That is a temporary phase.
> IIRC, he was out of the mailing list/s also some weeks/months back. :-)
>
> Let him take some wikiholidays and come back afresh.
>
> Regards
> -Sudhanwa
>

> On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 1:10 AM, Srikeit <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > [Something I posted as a message to Pradeep's talk page on his decision to
> > retire from Wikipedia. But I think may make sense to many of you. Please
> > ignore if you think I'm caballing]
> >

> > Why retire from here?
> >
> > Remember the good old days? When we used to edit in our own cocoons? The
> > only communication between two editors was through talk pages and the
> > occasional use of [[Special:Emailuser]]. And we had fun. That fun is why
> > we're still here.
> >
> > We moved on to more communication, more outreach. All good. We need to
> > spread the word. We're evangelists of the noblest of causes. It's all good.
> >

> [snip]

Re: My post to User:Prad2609

Srikeit

Which is my point exactly. The issue is not on-wiki. And Pradeep has quit from Wikipedia over this issue.

While I have no intention of getting involved in an already hot-headed debate, I am concerned that an editor of 5 years has quit.

I am not underestimating issues or ignoring them. While so many are debating about at the issue, I'm just pointing at the highly unfortunate fallout.

Regards

On Mar 27, 2012 10:53 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Please dont underestimate things - they are far more serious than they were in the past.

Srikeit: The issues are far too serious to leave aside. There so much involved and things look so dark, I myself am at wits end. The question is does one have the time and energy to take them up or does one just given up and leave.

> From: [hidden email]
> Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 01:29:52 +0530
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Wikimediaindia-l] My post to User:Prad2609
>
> Don't worry Srikeit ,
>
> That is a temporary phase.
> IIRC, he was out of the mailing list/s also some weeks/months back. :-)
>
> Let him take some wikiholidays and come back afresh.
>
> Regards
> -Sudhanwa
>

> On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 1:10 AM, Srikeit <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > [Something I posted as a message to Pradeep's talk page on his decision to
> > retire from Wikipedia. But I think may make sense to many of you. Please
> > ignore if you think I'm caballing]
> >

> > Why retire from here?
> >
> > Remember the good old days? When we used to edit in our own cocoons? The
> > only communication between two editors was through talk pages and the
> > occasional use of [[Special:Emailuser]]. And we had fun. That fun is why
> > we're still here.
> >
> > We moved on to more communication, more outreach. All good. We need to
> > spread the word. We're evangelists of the noblest of causes. It's all good.
> >

> [snip]

Re: My post to User:Prad2609

Yash Thakkar
May I know the reason for which he decided to retire?

Regards
Usr:Yasht101

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 4:44 PM, Srikeit <[hidden email]> wrote:

Which is my point exactly. The issue is not on-wiki. And Pradeep has quit from Wikipedia over this issue.

While I have no intention of getting involved in an already hot-headed debate, I am concerned that an editor of 5 years has quit.

I am not underestimating issues or ignoring them. While so many are debating about at the issue, I'm just pointing at the highly unfortunate fallout.

Regards

On Mar 27, 2012 10:53 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Please dont underestimate things - they are far more serious than they were in the past.

Srikeit: The issues are far too serious to leave aside. There so much involved and things look so dark, I myself am at wits end. The question is does one have the time and energy to take them up or does one just given up and leave.

> From: [hidden email]
> Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 01:29:52 +0530
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Wikimediaindia-l] My post to User:Prad2609
>
> Don't worry Srikeit ,
>
> That is a temporary phase.
> IIRC, he was out of the mailing list/s also some weeks/months back. :-)
>
> Let him take some wikiholidays and come back afresh.
>
> Regards
> -Sudhanwa
>

> On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 1:10 AM, Srikeit <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > [Something I posted as a message to Pradeep's talk page on his decision to
> > retire from Wikipedia. But I think may make sense to many of you. Please
> > ignore if you think I'm caballing]
> >

> > Why retire from here?
> >
> > Remember the good old days? When we used to edit in our own cocoons? The
> > only communication between two editors was through talk pages and the
> > occasional use of [[Special:Emailuser]]. And we had fun. That fun is why
> > we're still here.
> >
> > We moved on to more communication, more outreach. All good. We need to
> > spread the word. We're evangelists of the noblest of causes. It's all good.
> >

> [snip]

Re: My post to User:Prad2609

Srikanth Ramakrishnan-2
Srikeit, he might've had an account for five years but only recently
did he start contributing. While the case of Pradeep is indeed
different, we must take steps to prevent other potential editors from
leaving.

Srikanth Ramakrishnan.

Re: My post to User:Prad2609

ansuman-2
FYI ...

One more user[1] has retired on English Wikipedia[2]. Whats going on !!

On 28 March 2012 02:25, Srikanth Ramakrishnan <[hidden email]> wrote:
Srikeit, he might've had an account for five years but only recently
did he start contributing. While the case of Pradeep is indeed
different, we must take steps to prevent other potential editors from
leaving.

Srikanth Ramakrishnan.

Kind Regards
ansuman
smileyansu
ଓଡ଼ିଆ ଉଇକିପିଡ଼ିଆ

Re: My post to User:Prad2609

Swaroop Rao
No its not so serious as you make it out to be. I don't mean to discriminate on basis of age, but User:Abhijay claims to be a 16 year old user from South East Asia; and I don't know, we can probably expect WP:DIVA to be more prevalent among teenagers? (again, not discriminating; I'm one myself!). So lets cool down a bit and not get into a frenzy. Besides, he was facing an interaction ban with another editor and all that, and for all we know, was probably under a lot of stress. Situations like these aren't uncommon on enwiki, and there have been many times when users have returned back, stronger and better. Give them have some time to cool off.

I don't know why Pradeep decided to retire, and I do not intend to pry. I agree with Srikeit's opinions and observations; I hope Pradeep's retirement will only be temporary.

Regards,
Swaroop Rao
(MikeLynch)

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 22:16, Yash Thakkar <[hidden email]> wrote:
Now, this is a major issue

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 10:11 PM, ansuman <[hidden email]> wrote:
FYI ...

One more user[1] has retired on English Wikipedia[2]. Whats going on !!

On 28 March 2012 02:25, Srikanth Ramakrishnan <[hidden email]> wrote:
Srikeit, he might've had an account for five years but only recently
did he start contributing. While the case of Pradeep is indeed
different, we must take steps to prevent other potential editors from
leaving.

Srikanth Ramakrishnan.

Kind Regards
ansuman
smileyansu
ଓଡ଼ିଆ ଉଇକିପିଡ଼ିଆ

Re: My post to User:Prad2609

Swaroop Rao
See  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:IBAN . I appreciate you trying to learn, but do try and keep the mailing list threads on topic. I'll be happy to assist you on my talkpage, so you can post there!

Thanks,
Swaroop Rao
(MikeLynch)

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 22:42, Yash Thakkar <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

The issue is a bit serious. A contributor, no matter who or where they
come from, somehow or the other impacts another editors contributions.
There have been numerous instances of non Indians helping out with
Indian pages. We need to give more thought to editor retention.

Srikanth Ramakrishnan.

Re: My post to User:Prad2609

Srikanth Ramakrishnan-2
Guys,
Just to let you know:
Pradeep and I spoke to each other last night.
He says he wants to take a break from Wikipedia.
He told me that the mail [the one about the trust and AGF] was NOT the reason he left, and that it was a much larger issue.
I inquired if it could affect anyone else, in which case, I'd like to help fix it, but he said that it was nothing major.

Please do not criticise his actions, let us respect the man and his decisions for now.
He said he may be back in  six months, I'm being positive. But till then, let's just wait and leave him in peace.

Cheers,
Rsrikanth05