My retirement

DaB.-4
Hello folks,

as announced at 16. November I retired as root today.

Normally you write in such mails that you are sad now and that you had a
great time while it lasted. But I’m glad that it is over.

Don’t get me wrong: There were times when the work was great and most
times the work was even fun. But there were also several times
(especially in the last 2 years) when the Toolserver was horror. WMDE
didn’t invest enough money, WMF found new problems with the TS, hardware
was broken or the users (both authors and tool-users) were ignorant or
impatient.
If I had knew in autumn 2011 how the Toolserver would developing in the
coming years, I had not overtake as main root. I learned the hard way,
that it doesn’t matter how much work and time you invest if the
leadership (WMDE and WMF) work against you; and the members of WMDE and
the Wikipedians (at least in deWP) were no great help either.

I learned many things (in technical and political sense), met nice
persons and helped to give the Wikimedia-universe some great tools,
that’s the positive side I take with me now. I’m sure that I will miss
the Toolserver and its users from time to time.

Those of you who switch to Labs I wish good luck. All of you (if retired
already or not) I like to thank for the good times and I wish you the
best for your future :-). I’m sure that I will meet some of you in the
coming years again.

Sincerely,
DaB.

Re: [Toolserver-announce] My retirement

Silke Meyer
Hi DaB.,

ich will jetzt hier nicht lange rumlabern...

Thank you. Thank you for good work. For reliability over years. For
fighting. Und... eigentlich auch für die harte Kritik.

See you, Silke

2014/1/3 DaB. <[hidden email]>:

> Hello folks,
>
> as announced at 16. November I retired as root today.
>
> Normally you write in such mails that you are sad now and that you had a
> great time while it lasted. But I’m glad that it is over.
>
> Don’t get me wrong: There were times when the work was great and most
> times the work was even fun. But there were also several times
> (especially in the last 2 years) when the Toolserver was horror. WMDE
> didn’t invest enough money, WMF found new problems with the TS, hardware
> was broken or the users (both authors and tool-users) were ignorant or
> impatient.
> If I had knew in autumn 2011 how the Toolserver would developing in the
> coming years, I had not overtake as main root. I learned the hard way,
> that it doesn’t matter how much work and time you invest if the
> leadership (WMDE and WMF) work against you; and the members of WMDE and
> the Wikipedians (at least in deWP) were no great help either.
>
> I learned many things (in technical and political sense), met nice
> persons and helped to give the Wikimedia-universe some great tools,
> that’s the positive side I take with me now. I’m sure that I will miss
> the Toolserver and its users from time to time.
>
> Those of you who switch to Labs I wish good luck. All of you (if retired
> already or not) I like to thank for the good times and I wish you the
> best for your future :-). I’m sure that I will meet some of you in the
> coming years again.
>

> Sincerely,
> DaB.

Silke Meyer
Internes IT-Management und Projektmanagement Toolserver

Tel. (030) 219 158 260

http://wikimedia.de

unter der Nummer 23855 B. Als gemeinnützig anerkannt durch das

Re: My retirement

Pavel Richter-2
Hi DaB.,

I do know that we have very different opinions about the Toolserver in general and about the last two years in particular.

But I would like to take the opportunity and put these differences aside for the moment to offer my deep and sincere gratitude for your enormous support, your great work and all the skills and all the hours you have put into making the Toolserver what it is today.

Thank you, DaB., and see your around!

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Pavel Richter
Vorstand