MySQL 5.7.5+ and SMW

otheus uibk
Greetings,

I'm honored with the task of choosing and setting up the Database server
for our (UIBK) central SMW server. Can I get a short list of known versions
of MySQL and/or Postgresql this works with? Yes, I know what the
documentation says, but, I've reason to be skeptical:
  1. MySQL 5.7.5 introduced some "interesting" incompatible changes to
previous versions -- notably, the get_lock() behavior was radically
changed.
  2. SMW github issues note that as recently as late September, support for
Postgresql was buggy and entire test-case scenarios had been omitted.

So, I'd appreciate hearing back from other users of large installation
bases on which database versions/engines they know do or do not work.

Thanks in advanced.

--
Otheus

Re: MySQL 5.7.5+ and SMW

James HK
Hi,

> I'm honored with the task of choosing and setting up the Database server
> for our (UIBK) central SMW server. Can I get a short list of known versions
> of MySQL and/or Postgresql this works with?

[0] contains a list of supported (and tested) versions which does not
explicitly mention 5.7.x as we apply the same principles as MediaWiki
in range definition [1].

>   1. MySQL 5.7.5 introduced some "interesting" incompatible changes to
> previous versions -- notably, the get_lock() behavior was radically
> changed.

The MediaWiki software itself cites 5.x [1] and does not exempt 5.7.x
from the list of supported versions (which does not imply that it is
tested or supported) and unless someone from the list has experience
in terms of "incompatible changes" in connection with MySQL 5.7.x we
are unable to confirm or deny its compatibility with SMW.

If you happen to use MySQL 5.7.x then it is recommended to run [2].

>   2. SMW github issues note that as recently as late September, support for
> Postgresql was buggy and entire test-case scenarios had been omitted.

As so often, we depend on community participation and until recently
we had no feedback and help (no core developer uses postgres) to fix
some of the open issues. Luckily, we had someone to give us feedback
and allowed us to re-enable disjunctive query tests.

As far as I can tell the only remaining issue is [3] in order to close
the loop but please have a look at [4] as well.

[0] https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticMediaWiki/blob/master/docs/COMPATIBILITY.md

[1] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Compatibility#Database

[2] https://semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Installation#Tests

[3] https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticMediaWiki/pull/781

[4] https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticMediaWiki/issues?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=label%3Apostgres+

Cheers

On 11/6/15, otheus uibk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I'm honored with the task of choosing and setting up the Database server
> for our (UIBK) central SMW server. Can I get a short list of known versions
> of MySQL and/or Postgresql this works with? Yes, I know what the
> documentation says, but, I've reason to be skeptical:
>   1. MySQL 5.7.5 introduced some "interesting" incompatible changes to
> previous versions -- notably, the get_lock() behavior was radically
> changed.
>   2. SMW github issues note that as recently as late September, support for
> Postgresql was buggy and entire test-case scenarios had been omitted.
>
> So, I'd appreciate hearing back from other users of large installation
> bases on which database versions/engines they know do or do not work.
>
> Thanks in advanced.
>
> --
> Otheus

Re: MySQL 5.7.5+ and SMW

otheus uibk
My thanks to James for his thorough efforts in providing these links, but
to be clear: I'm still looking for the most valuable information:
confirmations from users in the fields that "version such and such works
great". I recently spent 2 days and an all-nighter finding out that MySQL
5.7.5 broke another open-source product, one which I ultimately patched
myself.

And James, just to reassure you: before posting my question, I had visited
links [0], [1], [3], and the equivalent of [4].

On Fri, Nov 6, 2015 at 7:47 PM, James HK <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
>
> On 11/6/15, otheus uibk <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Greetings,
> >
> > I'm honored with the task of choosing and setting up the Database server
> > for our (UIBK) central SMW server. Can I get a short list of known
> versions
> > of MySQL and/or Postgresql this works with? Yes, I know what the
> > documentation says, but, I've reason to be skeptical:
> >   1. MySQL 5.7.5 introduced some "interesting" incompatible changes to
> > previous versions -- notably, the get_lock() behavior was radically
> > changed.
> >   2. SMW github issues note that as recently as late September, support
> for
> > Postgresql was buggy and entire test-case scenarios had been omitted.
> >
> > So, I'd appreciate hearing back from other users of large installation
> > bases on which database versions/engines they know do or do not work.

Otheus

Re: MySQL 5.7.5+ and SMW

James HK
Hi,

> to be clear: I'm still looking for the most valuable information:
> confirmations from users in the fields that "version such and such works

Well, according to wikiapiary [0] only 9 MW websites are listed to use
5.7* which none [1] of them have SMW installed but I'm not sure this
can be used to construct an answer to your question.

[0] https://wikiapiary.com/w/index.php?title=Special%3AAsk&q=[[Has+database+version%3A%3A~5.7*]][[Has+database+type%3A%3Amysql]]&po=%3FHas+database+version%0D%0A%3FHas+database+type%0D%0A%3FAudited+date%0D%0A%3FHas+PHP+Version&eq=yes&p[format]=broadtable&sort_num=&order_num=ASC&p[limit]=&p[offset]=&p[link]=all&p[sort]=&p[headers]=show&p[mainlabel]=&p[intro]=&p[outro]=&p[searchlabel]=...+further+results&p[default]=&p[class]=sortable+wikitable+smwtable&p[sep]=&eq=yes

[1] https://wikiapiary.com/w/index.php?title=Special%3AAsk&q=[[Has+website%3A%3A%3Cq%3E[[Has+database+version%3A%3A~5.7*]][[Has+database+type%3A%3Amysql]]%3C%2Fq%3E]][[Has+extension%3A%3AExtension%3ASemantic+MediaWiki]]&po=%0D%0A&eq=yes&p[format]=broadtable&sort_num=&order_num=ASC&p[limit]=500&p[offset]=&p[link]=all&p[sort]=&p[headers]=show&p[mainlabel]=&p[intro]=&p[outro]=&p[searchlabel]=...+further+results&p[default]=&p[class]=sortable+wikitable+smwtable&p[sep]=&eq=yes

> [...]

>> > Greetings,
>> >
>> > I'm honored with the task of choosing and setting up the Database
>> > server
>> > for our (UIBK) central SMW server. Can I get a short list of known
>> versions
>> > of MySQL and/or Postgresql this works with? Yes, I know what the
>> > documentation says, but, I've reason to be skeptical:
>> >   1. MySQL 5.7.5 introduced some "interesting" incompatible changes to
>> > previous versions -- notably, the get_lock() behavior was radically
>> > changed.
>> >   2. SMW github issues note that as recently as late September, support
>> for
>> > Postgresql was buggy and entire test-case scenarios had been omitted.
>> >
>> > So, I'd appreciate hearing back from other users of large installation
>> > bases on which database versions/engines they know do or do not work.

Re: MySQL 5.7.5+ and SMW

Ralf Krüdewagen

my suggestion: Use MariaDB instead of MySQL. Forget MySQL ;-)

I am using SMW with MariaDB 10.0.21 and I update MariaDB always to the
latest version my distro offers.

https://www.kruedewagen.de/wiki/Spezial:Version

Cheers
Ralf

Zitat von otheus uibk <[hidden email]>:

> [...]
>>
>> On 11/6/15, otheus uibk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Greetings,
>> >
>> > I'm honored with the task of choosing and setting up the Database server
>> > for our (UIBK) central SMW server. Can I get a short list of known
>> versions
>> > of MySQL and/or Postgresql this works with? Yes, I know what the
>> > documentation says, but, I've reason to be skeptical:
>> >   1. MySQL 5.7.5 introduced some "interesting" incompatible changes to
>> > previous versions -- notably, the get_lock() behavior was radically
>> > changed.
>> >   2. SMW github issues note that as recently as late September, support
>> for
>> > Postgresql was buggy and entire test-case scenarios had been omitted.
>> >
>> > So, I'd appreciate hearing back from other users of large installation
>> > bases on which database versions/engines they know do or do not work.

Re: MySQL 5.7.5+ and SMW

Ralf Krüdewagen
Another idea: Just check the "Wiki of the Month" list on the SMW homepage:

https://semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/Wiki_of_the_Month
https://semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/Category:Wiki_of_the_Month

The "Special:Version" page provides the databases in use.

Cheers
Ralf

Zitat von Ralf Krüdewagen <[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
>
> my suggestion: Use MariaDB instead of MySQL. Forget MySQL ;-)
>
> I am using SMW with MariaDB 10.0.21 and I update MariaDB always to the
> latest version my distro offers.
>
> https://www.kruedewagen.de/wiki/Spezial:Version
>
> Cheers
> Ralf
>

> Zitat von otheus uibk <[hidden email]>:
>
>> My thanks to James for his thorough efforts in providing these links, but
>> to be clear: I'm still looking for the most valuable information:
>> confirmations from users in the fields that "version such and such works
>> great". I recently spent 2 days and an all-nighter finding out that MySQL
>> 5.7.5 broke another open-source product, one which I ultimately patched
>> myself.
>>
>> And James, just to reassure you: before posting my question, I had visited
>> links [0], [1], [3], and the equivalent of [4].
>>
>> On Fri, Nov 6, 2015 at 7:47 PM, James HK <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,

>>> versions
>>>
>>> [0] contains a list of supported (and tested) versions which does not
>>> explicitly mention 5.7.x as we apply the same principles as MediaWiki
>>> in range definition [1].

>>> The MediaWiki software itself cites 5.x [1] and does not exempt 5.7.x
>>> from the list of supported versions (which does not imply that it is
>>> tested or supported) and unless someone from the list has experience
>>> in terms of "incompatible changes" in connection with MySQL 5.7.x we
>>> are unable to confirm or deny its compatibility with SMW.
>>>
>>> If you happen to use MySQL 5.7.x then it is recommended to run [2].

>>> for
>>>
>>> As so often, we depend on community participation and until recently
>>> we had no feedback and help (no core developer uses postgres) to fix
>>> some of the open issues. Luckily, we had someone to give us feedback
>>> and allowed us to re-enable disjunctive query tests.
>>>
>>> As far as I can tell the only remaining issue is [3] in order to close
>>> the loop but please have a look at [4] as well.
>>>
>>> [0]
>>> https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticMediaWiki/blob/master/docs/COMPATIBILITY.md
>>>
>>> [1] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Compatibility#Database
>>>
>>> [2] https://semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Installation#Tests
>>>
>>> [3] https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticMediaWiki/pull/781
>>>
>>> [4]
>>> https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticMediaWiki/issues?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=label%3Apostgres+
>>>
>>> Cheers

>>> versions
>>> for

>> --
>> Otheus

Re: MySQL 5.7.5+ and SMW

thingles
This is the kind of question that WikiApiary can provide good answers for.

Check out

https://wikiapiary.com/wiki/Statistics <https://wikiapiary.com/wiki/Statistics>

and to your specific question, this page shows data on database versions used by Semantic MediaWiki sites.

https://wikiapiary.com/wiki/Semantic_statistics <https://wikiapiary.com/wiki/Semantic_statistics>

Currently MySQL 5.5.44 is 29.8% of installed sites.

MariaDB 10.0.21 referenced by Ralf is currently the most popular MariaDB version in use.

Cheers,

Jamie

> On Nov 7, 2015, at 5:47 AM, Ralf Krüdewagen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Another idea: Just check the "Wiki of the Month" list on the SMW homepage:
>
> https://semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/Wiki_of_the_Month
> https://semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/Category:Wiki_of_the_Month
>
> The "Special:Version" page provides the databases in use.
>
> Cheers
> Ralf
>

> Zitat von Ralf Krüdewagen <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> my suggestion: Use MariaDB instead of MySQL. Forget MySQL ;-)
>>
>> I am using SMW with MariaDB 10.0.21 and I update MariaDB always to the
>> latest version my distro offers.
>>
>> https://www.kruedewagen.de/wiki/Spezial:Version
>>
>> Cheers
>> Ralf
>>

>> Zitat von otheus uibk <[hidden email]>:
>>
>>> My thanks to James for his thorough efforts in providing these links, but
>>> to be clear: I'm still looking for the most valuable information:
>>> confirmations from users in the fields that "version such and such works
>>> great". I recently spent 2 days and an all-nighter finding out that MySQL
>>> 5.7.5 broke another open-source product, one which I ultimately patched
>>> myself.
>>>
>>> And James, just to reassure you: before posting my question, I had visited
>>> links [0], [1], [3], and the equivalent of [4].

>>> --
>>> Otheus
>>> [hidden email]
>>> [hidden email]

Re: MySQL 5.7.5+ and SMW

Ralf Krüdewagen
Great hint, Jamie.

However, I guess that the stats for MySQL 5.5.x also contain (a lot)
MariaDB 5.5.x versions [1]. It seems they don't differ here between
MySQL and MariaDB. Therefore, I guess that there are more sites using
MariaDB 5.5.x than 10.x.

wikiapiary.com itself runs 5.5.46-MariaDB ;-)

[1] https://mariadb.com/kb/en/mariadb/what-is-mariadb-55/

Cheers
Ralf

Zitat von Jamie Thingelstad <[hidden email]>:

> This is the kind of question that WikiApiary can provide good answers for.
>
> Check out
>
> https://wikiapiary.com/wiki/Statistics
> <https://wikiapiary.com/wiki/Statistics>
>
> and to your specific question, this page shows data on database
> versions used by Semantic MediaWiki sites.
>
> https://wikiapiary.com/wiki/Semantic_statistics
> <https://wikiapiary.com/wiki/Semantic_statistics>
>
> Currently MySQL 5.5.44 is 29.8% of installed sites.
>
> MariaDB 10.0.21 referenced by Ralf is currently the most popular
> MariaDB version in use.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jamie
>

>> On Nov 7, 2015, at 5:47 AM, Ralf Krüdewagen
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Another idea: Just check the "Wiki of the Month" list on the SMW homepage:
>>
>> https://semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/Wiki_of_the_Month
>> https://semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/Category:Wiki_of_the_Month
>>
>> The "Special:Version" page provides the databases in use.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Ralf
>>

>> Zitat von Ralf Krüdewagen <[hidden email]>:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> my suggestion: Use MariaDB instead of MySQL. Forget MySQL ;-)
>>>
>>> I am using SMW with MariaDB 10.0.21 and I update MariaDB always to the
>>> latest version my distro offers.
>>>
>>> https://www.kruedewagen.de/wiki/Spezial:Version
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Ralf

Re: MySQL 5.7.5+ and SMW

otheus uibk
Strangely enough, all sites with "Extension Semantic MediaWiki" have blank
results for Database Type, and Database VErsion. Clearly a bug :P

Re: MySQL 5.7.5+ and SMW

otheus uibk
This was indeed helpful. Thank you.

Otheus