[NEWS] SMW to black out against SOPA and PIPA

[NEWS] SMW to black out against SOPA and PIPA

Markus Krötzsch-2
Dear all,

many of you will already be aware of the upcoming global protest against
two proposed United States laws, called SOPA and PIPA. As Wikimedia put
it: "These bills endanger free speech both in the United States and
abroad, setting a frightening precedent of Internet censorship for the
world." More background information on why this is a threat to free and
open wiki sites is provided by Wikipedia [1].

Semantic MediaWiki is taking these matters most seriously, and will join
Wikipedia and many other sites [2] in a global strike against these
proposals. This means that content of semantic-mediawiki.org will not be
available from tomorrow (Wed, Jan 18) morning to Thursday morning.

If you are a US citizen, you may want to take direct action, e.g., using
the Web forms that will be provided on striking sites.

Best regards,

Markus

[1]
https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/English_Wikipedia_anti-SOPA_blackout
[2] http://sopastrike.com/

Re: [NEWS] SMW to black out against SOPA and PIPA

david-217
+1

El dt 17 de 01 de 2012 a les 17:32 +0000, en/na Markus Krötzsch va
escriure:

> Dear all,
>
> many of you will already be aware of the upcoming global protest against
> two proposed United States laws, called SOPA and PIPA. As Wikimedia put
> it: "These bills endanger free speech both in the United States and
> abroad, setting a frightening precedent of Internet censorship for the
> world." More background information on why this is a threat to free and
> open wiki sites is provided by Wikipedia [1].
>
> Semantic MediaWiki is taking these matters most seriously, and will join
> Wikipedia and many other sites [2] in a global strike against these
> proposals. This means that content of semantic-mediawiki.org will not be
> available from tomorrow (Wed, Jan 18) morning to Thursday morning.
>
> If you are a US citizen, you may want to take direct action, e.g., using
> the Web forms that will be provided on striking sites.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Markus
>
> [1]
> https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/English_Wikipedia_anti-SOPA_blackout
> [2] http://sopastrike.com/

Re: [NEWS] SMW to black out against SOPA and PIPA

James HK
Dear all,

Thanks for the action taken.

For all those participants who need an academic analysis on ‘How SOPA
violates the First Amendment’, please see comments[1] from Laurence
Tribe (a professor of constitutional law at Harvard Law School).

[1] http://www.scribd.com/doc/75153093/Tribe-Legis-Memo-on-SOPA-12-6-11-1

Cheers,

mwjames

On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 2:32 AM, Markus Krötzsch
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> many of you will already be aware of the upcoming global protest against
> two proposed United States laws, called SOPA and PIPA. As Wikimedia put
> it: "These bills endanger free speech both in the United States and
> abroad, setting a frightening precedent of Internet censorship for the
> world." More background information on why this is a threat to free and
> open wiki sites is provided by Wikipedia [1].
>
> Semantic MediaWiki is taking these matters most seriously, and will join
> Wikipedia and many other sites [2] in a global strike against these
> proposals. This means that content of semantic-mediawiki.org will not be
> available from tomorrow (Wed, Jan 18) morning to Thursday morning.
>
> If you are a US citizen, you may want to take direct action, e.g., using
> the Web forms that will be provided on striking sites.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Markus
>
> [1]
> https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/English_Wikipedia_anti-SOPA_blackout
> [2] http://sopastrike.com/

Re: [SMW-devel] [NEWS] SMW to black out against SOPA and PIPA

Yury Katkov
I dare saying that our blackout is much better quality then the one on
Wikipedia :-)  -it's not just some piece of js, I really can't access to
anything! I hope that those overkill projects SOPA and PIPA won't become a
law.
-----
Yury Katkov