NMR Images of England

Tom Holden

I read about this site in the Guardian today (I might be late on the band wagon):

http://www.imagesofengland.org.uk/default.aspx

They’re collecting an archive of images of listed buildings taken by members of the public.

Do you think it would be worthwhile contacting them to ask if they’d be prepared to send a mass e-mail to their volunteer photographers saying something like the following:

“Hi,

The Wikimedia Foundation would like to be able to use your photographs on Wikipedia and her sister sites, however to do this you must agree to release your photographs under a ‘Creative Commons’ license. [Insert blurb about CC licenses].

If you would be prepared to have your photos released under such a license, please click on the following link:

http://link.to.a.binding.sign.up.form.probably.on.the.uk.foundation.site/

Thanks,

English Heritage”

It would be great for Commons if we could get these images.

(It seems crazy that they didn’t make release under a CC license a criteria for acceptance as a volunteer photographer... One of our goals as a UK organisation really ought to be lobbying people like the Lottery Fund to get them to mandate “free” licenses on work like this they fund.)

Tom

Re: NMR Images of England

Majorly
On 27/09/2007, Tom Holden <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Well, I think it is a great idea.

--
Alex (Majorly)

Re: NMR Images of England

On 27/09/2007, Tom Holden <[hidden email]> wrote:

Fantastic idea!

> The Wikimedia Foundation would like to be able to use your photographs on
> Wikipedia and her sister sites, however to do this you must agree to release
> your photographs under a 'Creative Commons' license. [Insert blurb about CC
> licenses].

Don't just say CC, or we'll end up with lots of -NC and -ND.

"A free content licence (some CC, or some of these) - suggest
CC-by-sa, GFDL or both."

I realise that's way less soundbitey, but the difference is *very* important.

> (It seems crazy that they didn't make release under a CC license a criteria
> for acceptance as a volunteer photographer... One of our goals as a UK
> organisation really ought to be lobbying people like the Lottery Fund to get
> them to mandate "free" licenses on work like this they fund.)

Oh yes.

- d.

Re: NMR Images of England

Andrew Gray
On 27/09/2007, Tom Holden <[hidden email]> wrote:

> They're collecting an archive of images of listed buildings taken by members
> of the public.
>

> Do you think it would be worthwhile contacting them to ask if they'd be
> prepared to send a mass e-mail to their volunteer photographers saying
> something like the following:

No. No no no no no.

If someone came to us (and they do, fairly often) asking us to do this
to our users for some random other site, we'd send them away with a
flea in their ear. It's randomly fishing for material, it's rude.

What might be appropriate is contacting them and asking if they'd be
willing to have some opt-in method where their photographers can
choose to release the photographs under a free license - and mark them
as such on the site - which would allow it to be reused etc etc etc.
We can evangelise very efficiently in this sort of message about the
wonderful effects of such a policy :-)

But asking if we can just have images for Commons gives the impression
all we want to do is make our site better, not make *their* site more
useful. It's arrogant *and it will sound it*.

> (It seems crazy that they didn't make release under a CC license a criteria
> for acceptance as a volunteer photographer... One of our goals as a UK
> organisation really ought to be lobbying people like the Lottery Fund to get
> them to mandate "free" licenses on work like this they fund.)

Bear in mind the context here. It's an English Heritage project;
essentially an adjunct to the national listed-building registry, and
it's being run for their purposes; they want archival photographs of
all listed buildings for future reference purposes, and they have a
strong motive to get those photographs as good (in a technical sense)
as possible, which means taking pains over their photographers.

If you look at who they've recruited, they're mostly "real"
photographers; perhaps some professionals, mostly serious amateurs;
skilled, selected people, not random applicants with a camera - and
then they've doled out specific tasks to them. One of the inducements
given is that the rights remain with the photographer (and they have
some expenses funded); mandating open licensing would probably make it
a lot harder - or at least a lot more time-consuming - to get
good-quality recruits.

Them putting it online is nice and handy, and I believe they got
funding *for that part*, but the real goal is to have it as a safely
stored archive - things like public access at all are incidental, and
the project would probably exist without the website.

--
- Andrew Gray