National Digital Newspaper Program beta

Jonathan Leybovich
All,

The Library of Congress and the National Endowment for
the Humanities have announced the beta web interface
for the National Digital Newspaper Program, intended
to digitize and make freely available the contents of
most historic major U.S. newspapers:

http://www.loc.gov/chroniclingamerica/
http://www.neh.gov/projects/ndnp.html

Currently only the contents of newspapers from a
select few states during the period 1900-1910 are
available, but eventually the project will encompass
all U.S. regions and the entire period 1836 to 1922.

The Library of Congress does not seem to place any
legal restrictions on the use of these archives for
educational purposes (though it does not guarantee
that other copyright holders might not have claims)
and I think even the current, limited contents of the
archive will be immediately valuable for reference and
illustrative purposes within Wikipedia.

Re: National Digital Newspaper Program beta

Matthew Brown-5
On 6/19/07, Jonathan Leybovich <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The Library of Congress does not seem to place any
> legal restrictions on the use of these archives for
> educational purposes (though it does not guarantee
> that other copyright holders might not have claims)

Under US law, given the pre-1922 scope of the project, most such
claims would have no validity in any case.  Everything first published
in the US prior to 1922 is in the public domain.

Cases where this might not apply would be photographs or articles that
were first published abroad and are still in copyright there.

-Matt

Re: National Digital Newspaper Program beta

Magnus Manske-2
On 6/20/07, Matthew Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 6/19/07, Jonathan Leybovich <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > The Library of Congress does not seem to place any
> > legal restrictions on the use of these archives for
> > educational purposes (though it does not guarantee
> > that other copyright holders might not have claims)
>
> Under US law, given the pre-1922 scope of the project, most such
> claims would have no validity in any case.  Everything first published
> in the US prior to 1922 is in the public domain.
>
> Cases where this might not apply would be photographs or articles that
> were first published abroad and are still in copyright there.

Well, I take my chances and already uploaded pictures for
[[Harry K. Thaw]] and
[[Luigi Amedeo, Duke of the Abruzzi]]
on commons. The year pages are really helpful to find candidates :-)

Magnus

Re: National Digital Newspaper Program beta

Ray Saintonge
Matthew Brown wrote:

>On 6/19/07, Jonathan Leybovich <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>>The Library of Congress does not seem to place any
>>legal restrictions on the use of these archives for
>>educational purposes (though it does not guarantee
>>that other copyright holders might not have claims)
>>

>Under US law, given the pre-1922 scope of the project, most such
>claims would have no validity in any case.  Everything first published
>in the US prior to 1922 is in the public domain.

pre-1923 -- That's why they include 1922

Ec

On 6/20/07, Ray Saintonge <[hidden email]> wrote:
> pre-1923 -- That's why they include 1922

Typo

thx for the correction

-Matt