Navigational maps - is this all there is?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Navigational maps - is this all there is?

Rich Morin
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Images_and_other_uploaded_files#Navigational_maps

describes a couple of ways to get the effect of image maps in MediaWiki.
However, neither of these is going to be easy to use with images created
by Graphviz, etc.

Are there any tricks that this page doesn't mention?  Is there anything
else in the pipeline?  Inquiring minds need to know...

-r
--
http://www.cfcl.com/rdm            Rich Morin
http://www.cfcl.com/rdm/resume     [hidden email]
http://www.cfcl.com/rdm/weblog     +1 650-873-7841

Technical editing and writing, programming, and web development
_______________________________________________
MediaWiki-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Navigational maps - is this all there is?

Jan Steinman
> From: Rich Morin <[hidden email]>
>
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/ 
> Help:Images_and_other_uploaded_files#Navigational_maps
>
> describes a couple of ways to get the effect of image maps in  
> MediaWiki.
> However, neither of these is going to be easy to use with images  
> created
> by Graphviz, etc.

Graphviz already does image maps. Are you having a specific problem  
with Graphviz, or is this just an "in general" comment?


:::: If addiction is judged by how long a dumb animal will sit  
pressing a lever to get a "fix" of something, to its own detriment,  
then I would conclude that the Internet is far more addictive than  
cocaine. -- Rob Stampfli
:::: Jan Steinman <http://www.Bytesmiths.com/Item/98-4880-34>


_______________________________________________
MediaWiki-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Navigational maps - is this all there is?

Rich Morin
At 6:41 PM -0700 4/10/06, Jan Steinman wrote:
> Graphviz already does image maps. Are you having a specific
> problem with Graphviz, or is this just an "in general" comment?

Yes, Graphviz already does image maps.  I have used these to great
effect on web sites.  Now, how do I use them on MediaWiki?

-r
--
http://www.cfcl.com/rdm            Rich Morin
http://www.cfcl.com/rdm/resume     [hidden email]
http://www.cfcl.com/rdm/weblog     +1 650-873-7841

Technical editing and writing, programming, and web development
_______________________________________________
MediaWiki-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Navigational maps - is this all there is?

Jan Steinman
In reply to this post by Rich Morin
> From: Rich Morin <[hidden email]>
>
> At 6:41 PM -0700 4/10/06, Jan Steinman wrote:
>> Graphviz already does image maps. Are you having a specific
>> problem with Graphviz, or is this just an "in general" comment?
>
> Yes, Graphviz already does image maps.  I have used these to great
> effect on web sites.  Now, how do I use them on MediaWiki?

First question: is your site secure?

If you disable account creation and only allow trusted users, it is  
trivial to make a "raw html" extension. That's how I include  
QuickTime movies and image maps:
     http://www.bytesmiths.com/wiki/Body%2C_chassis%2C_driveline
     http://www.bytesmiths.com/wiki/Fuel_system_common_components

But if you allow the public to edit, you shouldn't do that.

Let me know if you want my insecure hack, or it's easy enough to hack  
up yourself. It's only a couple lines inside the extension boilerplate.


:::: The antidote to fear is action! ::::
:::: Jan Steinman http://www.EcoReality.org ::::


_______________________________________________
MediaWiki-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Navigational maps - is this all there is?

Tels
In reply to this post by Rich Morin
Moin,

On Tuesday 11 April 2006 05:07, Rich Morin wrote:
> At 6:41 PM -0700 4/10/06, Jan Steinman wrote:
> > Graphviz already does image maps. Are you having a specific
> > problem with Graphviz, or is this just an "in general" comment?
>
> Yes, Graphviz already does image maps.  I have used these to great
> effect on web sites.  Now, how do I use them on MediaWiki?

Both the Graphviz and the Graph extension allow links on nodes, edge (not
sure about Graph) etc. So you could be installing these extensions, and
then you are able to write:

== My graph ==

<graph>
node { autolink; }

[ Bonn ] --> [ Berlin ]
</graph>

Or the equivalent with graphviz.

and it should work. Or are you creating the images manually with graphviz,
then uploading them?

Best wishes,

Tels

--
 Signed on Tue Apr 11 18:53:34 2006 with key 0x93B84C15.
 Visit my photo gallery at http://bloodgate.com/photos/
 PGP key on http://bloodgate.com/tels.asc or per email.

 "Retsina?" - "Ja, Papa?" - "Angriff im Morgengrauen." - "Is gut, Papa."


_______________________________________________
MediaWiki-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l

attachment0 (492 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Navigational maps - is this all there is?

Tels
Moin,

On Tuesday 11 April 2006 18:56, Tels wrote:

> Moin,
>
> On Tuesday 11 April 2006 05:07, Rich Morin wrote:
> > At 6:41 PM -0700 4/10/06, Jan Steinman wrote:
> > > Graphviz already does image maps. Are you having a specific
> > > problem with Graphviz, or is this just an "in general" comment?
> >
> > Yes, Graphviz already does image maps.  I have used these to great
> > effect on web sites.  Now, how do I use them on MediaWiki?
>
> Both the Graphviz and the Graph extension allow links on nodes, edge
> (not sure about Graph) etc. So you could be installing these
> extensions, and then you are able to write:
>
> == My graph ==
>
> <graph>
> node { autolink; }
>
> [ Bonn ] --> [ Berlin ]
> </graph>
Er that should be:

 == My graph ==

 <graph>
 node { autolink: name; }

 [ Bonn ] --> [ Berlin ]
 </graph>

Sorry, didn't have coffee yet,

Tels

--
 Signed on Tue Apr 11 19:17:12 2006 with key 0x93B84C15.
 Visit my photo gallery at http://bloodgate.com/photos/
 PGP key on http://bloodgate.com/tels.asc or per email.

 Mediawiki graph-extension: http://bloodgate.com/perl/graph/


_______________________________________________
MediaWiki-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l

attachment0 (492 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Navigational maps - is this all there is?

Rich Morin
In reply to this post by Tels
At 6:56 PM +0200 4/11/06, Tels wrote:
> Or are you creating the images manually with graphviz,
> then uploading them?

My intention is to create the images (and image maps) in
batch mode, then upload them.

-r
--
http://www.cfcl.com/rdm            Rich Morin
http://www.cfcl.com/rdm/resume     [hidden email]
http://www.cfcl.com/rdm/weblog     +1 650-873-7841

Technical editing and writing, programming, and web development
_______________________________________________
MediaWiki-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Navigational maps - is this all there is?

Tels
Moin,

On Tuesday 11 April 2006 21:57, Rich Morin wrote:
> At 6:56 PM +0200 4/11/06, Tels wrote:
> > Or are you creating the images manually with graphviz,
> > then uploading them?
>
> My intention is to create the images (and image maps) in
> batch mode, then upload them.

I am afraid that wont work then:

* you need the image _and_ the imagemap, which is a bit of HTML
* even if you upload both, the imagemap will not get included into the
HTML

You could write some sort of template that links in the image, and
includes the imagemap via another template. But that would be hairy.

But I think it would be much better to include the graph source code and
use an extension to render the images (including imagemap), because that
way you can even change the graps from the wiki.

best wishes,

tels

--
 Signed on Wed Apr 12 19:53:40 2006 with key 0x93B84C15.
 Visit my photo gallery at http://bloodgate.com/photos/
 PGP key on http://bloodgate.com/tels.asc or per email.

 "Duke Nukem Forever is a 1999 game and we think that timeframe matches
 very well with what we have planned for the game." - George Broussard,
 1998 (http://tinyurl.com/6m8nh)


_______________________________________________
MediaWiki-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l

attachment0 (492 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Navigational maps - is this all there is?

Rich Morin
At 7:55 PM +0200 4/12/06, Tels wrote:

> * you need the image _and_ the imagemap, which is a bit of HTML
> * even if you upload both, the imagemap will not get included
> into the  HTML
>
> You could write some sort of template that links in the image, and
> includes the imagemap via another template. But that would be hairy.
>
> But I think it would be much better to include the graph source code
> and use an extension to render the images (including imagemap),
> because that way you can even change the graps from the wiki.

I'm going to be generating large numbers of graphs (hundreds of
thousands, prospectively).  In order to get good performance, I
would like to generate and store them in advance.

It looks like the simplest approach, at this point, is to use Jan
Steinman's HTML inclusion hack, possibly modified to restrict it
in some manner for increased security.

-r
--
http://www.cfcl.com/rdm            Rich Morin
http://www.cfcl.com/rdm/resume     [hidden email]
http://www.cfcl.com/rdm/weblog     +1 650-873-7841

Technical editing and writing, programming, and web development
_______________________________________________
MediaWiki-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Navigational maps - is this all there is?

Tels
Moin,

On Wednesday 12 April 2006 21:12, Rich Morin wrote:

> At 7:55 PM +0200 4/12/06, Tels wrote:
> > * you need the image _and_ the imagemap, which is a bit of HTML
> > * even if you upload both, the imagemap will not get included
> > into the  HTML
> >
> > You could write some sort of template that links in the image, and
> > includes the imagemap via another template. But that would be hairy.
> >
> > But I think it would be much better to include the graph source code
> > and use an extension to render the images (including imagemap),
> > because that way you can even change the graps from the wiki.
>
> I'm going to be generating large numbers of graphs (hundreds of
> thousands, prospectively).  In order to get good performance, I
> would like to generate and store them in advance.
>
> It looks like the simplest approach, at this point, is to use Jan
> Steinman's HTML inclusion hack, possibly modified to restrict it
> in some manner for increased security.
You might also try to allow the ".map" extension for upload, upload the
image map as "image" and then use it like so:

        <img src="/path/to/image.png" usemap="/mapth/to/mapfile.map">

However, from a short googling I am not sure if that is actually supported
by browsers now. In 1998 it seems it was not - the map had to be in line
in the same source file as the <img> tag :-/

best wishes,

Tels

--
 Signed on Thu Apr 13 19:39:30 2006 with key 0x93B84C15.
 Visit my photo gallery at http://bloodgate.com/photos/
 PGP key on http://bloodgate.com/tels.asc or per email.

 "HOT PACKET ON SERVER ACTION! Click here for FREE ACCESS to streaming
 video of dirty packets penetrating badly-configured firewalls!!!" aanand
 (705284) on 2004-03-20 on /. about the Adult Bit and the Evil bit


_______________________________________________
MediaWiki-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l

attachment0 (492 bytes) Download Attachment