Nelson Mandela events today?

Kunal Mehta
Hi,

Is anyone aware of any local Nelson Mandela related events that are
happening in Cape Town today?

-- Legoktm

Re: Nelson Mandela events today?

Douglas Scott
Yes, the big Mandela related news in Cape Town today is the unveiling of the Nelson Mandela statue at the Old City Hall.  We are currently planning to get our group photograph at that statue on Sunday but that is presides the point.

On 18 July 2018 at 10:04, Kunal Mehta <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Is anyone aware of any local Nelson Mandela related events that are
happening in Cape Town today?

-- Legoktm

Douglas Ian Scott
司道格
Skype:  douglas0scott
South African mobile number: +27 (0)79 515 8727

Re: Nelson Mandela events today?

Ciell Wikipedia
Heard on the plane: this evening at 7 pm, there will be a gathering with a lot of choirs from all over the World in St. Georges Cathedral, just behind the confence venue. Among them a church gospel choir from South Africa.

Sounds interesting!

Cheers,
Ciell

Op wo 18 jul. 2018 10:43 schreef Douglas Scott <[hidden email]>:
Yes, the big Mandela related news in Cape Town today is the unveiling of the Nelson Mandela statue at the Old City Hall.  We are currently planning to get our group photograph at that statue on Sunday but that is presides the point.

On 18 July 2018 at 10:04, Kunal Mehta <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Is anyone aware of any local Nelson Mandela related events that are
happening in Cape Town today?

-- Legoktm

Douglas Ian Scott
司道格
Skype:  douglas0scott
South African mobile number: +27 (0)79 515 8727

Re: Nelson Mandela events today?

Andy Mabbett-2
On 18 July 2018 at 09:43, Douglas Scott <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes, the big Mandela related news in Cape Town today is the unveiling of the
> Nelson Mandela statue at the Old City Hall.

Now on Wikidata:

   https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q55619041

Do we have photos, yet?

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing

Re: Nelson Mandela events today?

Deb Tankersley
The unveiling will happen today at 3pm, along with a parade: http://www.capetownetc.com/cape-town/nelson-mandela-statue-to-be-unveiled-in-cape-town/

The City Hall is only a few blocks away from the Wikimania venue:  Cape Town City Hall, Darling St, CBD, Cape Town, 8001

Cheers,

Deb

--

deb tankersley

Program Manager, Engineering

Wikimedia Foundation

On Wed, Jul 18, 2018 at 12:46 PM Andy Mabbett <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 18 July 2018 at 09:43, Douglas Scott <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes, the big Mandela related news in Cape Town today is the unveiling of the
> Nelson Mandela statue at the Old City Hall.

Now on Wikidata:

   https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q55619041

Do we have photos, yet?

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing
http://pigsonthewing.org.uk

Re: Nelson Mandela events today?

Michael Peel-2
Isn’t there a Freedom of Panorama issue here?

Thanks,
Mike

On 18 Jul 2018, at 12:59, Deb Tankersley <[hidden email]> wrote:

The unveiling will happen today at 3pm, along with a parade: http://www.capetownetc.com/cape-town/nelson-mandela-statue-to-be-unveiled-in-cape-town/

The City Hall is only a few blocks away from the Wikimania venue:  Cape Town City Hall, Darling St, CBD, Cape Town, 8001

Cheers,

Deb
--
deb tankersley
Program Manager, Engineering
Wikimedia Foundation

On Wed, Jul 18, 2018 at 12:46 PM Andy Mabbett <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 18 July 2018 at 09:43, Douglas Scott <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes, the big Mandela related news in Cape Town today is the unveiling of the
> Nelson Mandela statue at the Old City Hall.

Now on Wikidata:

   https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q55619041

Do we have photos, yet?

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing
http://pigsonthewing.org.uk

Re: Nelson Mandela events today?

Deb Tankersley
So, I was wrong on the date — it’s on the 24th for the parade and unveiling. Sorry for the misinformation! :(

Deb