New API is live, status update

Yuri Astrakhan
Hello and welcome to the new API list.

The new version of the API is now up on all WikiMedia sites, e.g.
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/api.php

== Breaking Changes ==
backlinks, embeddedin, and imageusage lists no longer use the global
"titles=" parameter; instead backlinks now uses bltitle=, embeddedin
-- eititle=, and imageusage -- "iutitle=".
For a little while, if you do not supply  ...title=  parameter,
titles= will still work, but a warning is returned. Soon it will not
work, so please update your code if you use any of this 3 lists.

== New Features ==
* list=categorymembers - list pages/categories belonging to a category
* page protection status
* prop=imageinfo - returns image info including repository, size,
URLs, and upload history
* list=exturlusage - search for URLs used in a wiki
* list=alllinks - list all links, regardless of what page they are on
(allows search for unique links only )
* list=allusers - list of all users registered in a wiki, together
with an edit count
* prop=siteinfo - can now return database servers replication lag

== Other Changes ==
* Documentation has been significantly updated with examples. Please
contribute more :) : http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/API
* Report bugs & post requests are at
http://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/buglist.cgi?component=API&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&order=bugs.delta_ts
(don't forget to set Component=API when creating new entries)

== Current Issues ==
* Security: If a namespace cannot be read by the current user, some of
the titles in that NS are still shown in various enumerations (e.g. in
the apfrom= continue value)

== Current Efforts ==
* Some core code has been updated to allow Rollback implementation
(thanks Roan).
* API home page needs short coding examples of client access for
Python, PHP, C#, and Java clients (or any other languages if you
prefer). Older examples are at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Yurik/Query_API/User_Manual#Usage

Re: New API is live, status update

Daniel Cannon

Yuri Astrakhan wrote:

> Hello and welcome to the new API list.
>
> The new version of the API is now up on all WikiMedia sites, e.g.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/w/api.php
>

> == Breaking Changes ==
> backlinks, embeddedin, and imageusage lists no longer use the global
> "titles=" parameter; instead backlinks now uses bltitle=, embeddedin
> -- eititle=, and imageusage -- "iutitle=".
> For a little while, if you do not supply  ...title=  parameter,
> titles= will still work, but a warning is returned. Soon it will not
> work, so please update your code if you use any of this 3 lists.

I've no problem deprecating the title parameter, but must we disable it?
 I see no problem with leaving it enabled, though discouraged, and
having it function as it does now with all queries on which it
previously worked. You know me and my backwards-compatibility nazism;
the suggestion of removing the titles param altogether, one that is
widely used by a multitude of bots and other client software, just sends
shivers up my spine.

> == New Features ==
> * list=categorymembers - list pages/categories belonging to a category
> * page protection status
> * prop=imageinfo - returns image info including repository, size,
> URLs, and upload history
> * list=exturlusage - search for URLs used in a wiki
> * list=alllinks - list all links, regardless of what page they are on
> (allows search for unique links only )
> * list=allusers - list of all users registered in a wiki, together
> with an edit count
> * prop=siteinfo - can now return database servers replication lag
>

> == Other Changes ==
> * Documentation has been significantly updated with examples. Please
> contribute more :) : http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/API
> * Report bugs & post requests are at
> http://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/buglist.cgi?component=API&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&order=bugs.delta_ts
> (don't forget to set Component=API when creating new entries)

Indeed it has -- I'll be mosying on over there soon--I promise! :)

> == Current Issues ==
> * Security: If a namespace cannot be read by the current user, some of
> the titles in that NS are still shown in various enumerations (e.g. in
> the apfrom= continue value)

A note to readers who use the API on their own MediaWiki installs and to
MediaWiki extension developers: This will be fixed as part of a sweeping
reform of how access control is managed by MediaWiki. Please keep up
with the discussion [1] on wikitech-l, as it will likely effect many
extensions and third-party software. We're also going to refrain from
fixing this security issue until such time as this reformation is
complete (correct me if I'm wrong, Yuri).

> == Current Efforts ==
> * Some core code has been updated to allow Rollback implementation
> (thanks Roan).

For the sake of clarity, this functionality is *not* included as part of
the update on Wikimedia.

> * API home page needs short coding examples of client access for
> Python, PHP, C#, and Java clients (or any other languages if you
> prefer). Older examples are at
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Yurik/Query_API/User_Manual#Usage

Ah, yes, I should get some of my code snippets up there ....

Thank you, Yuri and all other API developers, for all of your hard work!

- --
Daniel Cannon (AmiDaniel)

http://amidaniel.com
[hidden email]

On 7/10/07, Daniel Cannon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've no problem deprecating the title parameter, but must we disable it?
>  I see no problem with leaving it enabled, though discouraged, and
> having it function as it does now with all queries on which it
> previously worked. You know me and my backwards-compatibility nazism;
> the suggestion of removing the titles param altogether, one that is
> widely used by a multitude of bots and other client software, just sends
> shivers up my spine.

The shared parameter "titles=" is not being removed! It is the
backbone of all the properties (prop=...). Only the 3 lists will stop
using it (fairly soon), because it was done by accident - all lists
must use their own, non-shared parameters so as not to interfere with
properties.

> > == Current Efforts ==
> > * Some core code has been updated to allow Rollback implementation
> > (thanks Roan).
>
> For the sake of clarity, this functionality is *not* included as part of
> the update on Wikimedia.

The rollback changes to the Article.php have been checked in and are
now (presumably) live. There is no API action to let clients perform
this action yet.

> > * API home page needs short coding examples of client access for
> > Python, PHP, C#, and Java clients (or any other languages if you
> > prefer). Older examples are at
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Yurik/Query_API/User_Manual#Usage
>
> Ah, yes, I should get some of my code snippets up there ....

Please add snippets to http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/API:Client_Code

Thanks!