New English Wikinews mailing lists

Chiacomo
There has been some discussion in the #wikinews channel about adding
two new mailing lists and I thought it would be wise (after advice
from Angela) to solicit some community comments on their creation.

I would like to create a new mailing list called WikinewsEN-print-l
(or something similar) in order to distribute a copy of the daily
print edition. This would be a low volume (one message per day) list.
This would permit subscribers to receive a copy of the daily print
edition without visiting the English Wikinews site.

Additionally, there have been some conversations about English
Wikinews issues that could be conducted via mailing list. For this
reason, I feel that a WikinewsEN-l list would be appropriate.

What are the community's thoughts on creating these new mailing lists?

-C.
--
http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/User:Chiacomo

Re: New English Wikinews mailing lists

Brian Anderton
Yes; I think that it is a good idea. However would WikinewsEN-daily-l be better name, so later on we could change from the Print edition. If we had to.

 ~~Brian New Zealand

On 1/11/06, Chiacomo <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

The information contained in this E-mail message is intended for the addressee only and may contain privileged information.If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, copy or distribute this message or the information in it.If you have received this message in error, please e-mail the sender immediately.

Re: New English Wikinews mailing lists

Amgine
Mmm... I like the idea of WikinewsEN-daily-l. As for the WikinewsEN-l, I'm
not sure the traffic on this particular list is so great as to need to
break it out into languages.

On the other hand, it may be an issue for people from the other language
editions. If they feel this list isn't the right place to talk about the
EN edition's issues, then I would agree we should have the other.

- Amgine

> Yes; I think that it is a good idea. However would WikinewsEN-daily-l be
> better name, so later on we could change from the Print edition. If we had
> to.
>

>  ~~Brian New Zealand
>

> On 1/11/06, Chiacomo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> There has been some discussion in the #wikinews channel about adding
>> two new mailing lists and I thought it would be wise (after advice
>> from Angela) to solicit some community comments on their creation.

Re: New English Wikinews mailing lists

divol
Hi,

With the IRC channel, this list is important for  us to communicate
over the border (wall ?) of language.
On the IRC you need to be on line, no this mailing list.

if there's a list split it will be much more difficult for the small
wikinews or the newest wikinews.

All languages need infos about the WikinewsEN-daily-l and it will
go , i think.

jacques divol
fr.wikinews

Le 11 janv. 06 à 17:06, [hidden email] a écrit :

> Mmm... I like the idea of WikinewsEN-daily-l. As for the WikinewsEN-
> l, I'm
> not sure the traffic on this particular list is so great as to need to
> break it out into languages.
>
> On the other hand, it may be an issue for people from the other
> language
> editions. If they feel this list isn't the right place to talk
> about the
> EN edition's issues, then I would agree we should have the other.
>
> - Amgine
>
>> Yes; I think that it is a good idea. However would WikinewsEN-
>> daily-l be
>> better name, so later on we could change from the Print edition.
>> If we had
>> to.
>>

>>  ~~Brian New Zealand
>>

>> On 1/11/06, Chiacomo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> There has been some discussion in the #wikinews channel about adding
>>> two new mailing lists and I thought it would be wise (after advice
>>> from Angela) to solicit some community comments on their creation.

Re: New English Wikinews mailing lists

Clare-Marie White
In broad agreement I think with others. The daily PDF list is a great idea
to get people continuing to read Wikinews and I'm sure it will be popular.
Inclined to agree that there should be one main channel as most issues are
going to be useful for all languages and I think it's a good point that it
could marginalise people from other languages.

Keeping the list across and for the project as a whole might prevent it
developing into the highly off-putting and political community warfare that
has dominated the watercooler in recent months and made it more difficult to
participate in. Just a thought :)

ClareWhite