New Wikimania program design announced: call for proposals OPEN

New Wikimania program design announced: call for proposals OPEN

Eric Luth
Hi all,

The Wikimania organizing team is now happy to announce the Program Design of Wikimania 2019!

We believe that this year’s conference theme requires a format that is future-oriented, collaborative, active, and focused on practical problem-solving. The program will therefore consist of a series of parallel spaces (or tracks), lead by leaders, and through practical training, learning, idea-sharing and cross-cultural collaboration focusing on different topic areas.

The call for proposals for these Leaders, and what they would like to do with those Spaces, is NOW OPEN. We invite you to visit the Program Design page on the Wikimania Wiki to read more.

Best,
Eric Luth
Conference Manager, Wikimedia Sverige
+46 (0) 765 55 50 95

Stöd fri kunskap, bli medlem i Wikimedia Sverige.
Läs mer på blimedlem.wikimedia.se

Re: New Wikimania program design announced: call for proposals OPEN

Mina Theofilatou-2
Wow! This is a great idea, and I hope it will change our outlook on the Wikimedia movement and the potential it carries for change at a much greater level than building and sharing knowledge... I have been trying to bring attention to what participation in the movement can do for disadvantaged individuals practically on my own in my community, and now reading this... and the connection with the SDGs... it's more than exciting :)

Looking forward to seeing how this develops!

Best,
Mina

On Fri, Mar 1, 2019 at 8:28 PM Eric Luth <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Gnangarra
It does sound like an interesting approach I look forward to it being a successful format, will there time at the end of the day for panel sessions to further explore the days discussions. Like Mina I too have been working with disadvantaged and oppressed communities to bring their knowledge, language, and culture into the Wiki world.

It'll be an interesting challenge for the program committee to judge the where a talk submission fits, not just in time but also in content.

On Sat, 2 Mar 2019 at 05:40, Mina Theofilatou <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Out now: A.Gaynor, P. Newman and P. Jennings (eds.), Never Again: Reflections on Environmental Responsibility after Roe 8, UWAP, 2017.  Order here.

Re: New Wikimania program design announced: call for proposals OPEN

Liam Wyatt
Bumping this thread...

Have you ever wanted to curate a room at Wikimania for a day?
With one week to go in the call for people to lead a "Space" during the conference, we have so far received submissions on these topic areas:

Data Science
Languages
Diversity
Health
Education
Environmental Sustainability
Transcription

You can read brief public summaries of these submissions here:
https://wikimania.wikimedia.org/wiki/2019:Program_design#Submitted_proposals_for_Spaces

If you think something's missing, and would like to add to those which are already listed, Go to that page and fill out the form to propose your topic!

- Liam / Wittylama (program chair)

On Fri, 1 Mar 2019 at 19:28, Eric Luth <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Houcemeddine A. Turki
Dear Sir,
I thank you for your efforts. Concerning the health track, we are currently doing several works about the use of Wikidata in medicine. I already made proposals about this to Wikimania in the last two years. I ask if the efforts to ameliorate the medical coverage and applications of Wikidata can be taken into consideration in the health track.
Yours Sincerely,
Houcemeddine Turki (he/him)
Medical Student, Faculty of Medicine of Sfax, University of Sfax, Tunisia
Undergraduate Researcher, UR12SP36
GLAM and Education Coordinator, Wikimedia TN User Group
Member, WikiResearch Tunisia
Member, Wiki Project Med
Member, WikiIndaba Steering Committee
Member, Wikimedia and Library User Group Steering Committee
Co-Founder, WikiLingua Maghreb
Founder, TunSci
____________________
+21629499418

Re: New Wikimania program design announced: call for proposals OPEN

Shani Evenstein
Dear Houcemeddine,

WikiProject Medicine User Group has offered the space on Medicine and Health.
Should our offer be accepted, we will be looking for proposals on health and Wikidata as well.
Please be in touch with us. If you are not a member yet, please join us. You are also welcome to join the Facebook group we have,
where we will update when submissions to our "space" are open.

Best,
Shani.

Shani Evenstein Sigalov
* Lecturer, Tel Aviv University.
* EdTech Innovation Strategist, NY/American Medical Program, Sackler School of Medicine, Tel Aviv University.
* PhD Candidate, School of Education, Tel Aviv University.
* Chief Editor, Project Ben-Yehuda
+972-525640648

On Tue, Mar 19, 2019 at 1:12 AM Houcemeddine A. Turki <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

As a short reminder: today (22 March) is the last day to propose a space for Wikimania 2019. More information here: https://wikimania.wikimedia.org/wiki/2019:Program_design

The program committee chair, Liam Wyatt, has also recorded a short video explaining the changed format of the program: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKUo3CqpEcw

Hope to see you in Stockholm in August!