New Wikimedia licensing terms ready to translate

New Wikimedia licensing terms ready to translate

Erik Moeller-4
Hello all,

the new CC-BY-SA site terms for Wikimedia wikis are ready to be
translated through the WikimediaMessages extension:

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Special:Code/MediaWiki/52361

The messages are wikimedia-copyright, wikimedia-copyrightwarning, and
wikimedia-editpage-tos-summary.I've contacted Siebrand and Gerard from
TranslateWiki and we hope they can be made available through the
translatewiki.net interface soon.

We anticipate pushing these to Wikimedia wikis as early as Monday,
June 29, if at all possible. At that time, all eligible wikis will
show the new message; English messages will be shown if no translation
is available by then.

These are very important legal messages, so to the extent that you can
double-check the translations, please do so. They need to be
translated literally, and the terms of use URL needs to point to the
Wikimedia Foundation copy. If you don't feel confident to translate
them, please leave the English version in place for now. Note that
these messages _only_ apply to Wikimedia sites; they won't be shown in
any other MediaWiki installation.

Further background at:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Licensing_update/Implementation

Thanks for all help! :-)
Erik
--
Erik Möller
Deputy Director, Wikimedia Foundation

Re: New Wikimedia licensing terms ready to translate

Erik Moeller-4
They're available in TranslateWiki, e.g.:
http://translatewiki.net/w/i.php?title=Special%3ATranslate&task=untranslated&group=ext-wikimediamessages&language=de&limit=100
--
Erik Möller
Deputy Director, Wikimedia Foundation

Re: New Wikimedia licensing terms ready to translate

Gergő Tisza
Erik Moeller <erik <at> wikimedia.org> writes:

> The messages are wikimedia-copyright, wikimedia-copyrightwarning, and
> wikimedia-editpage-tos-summary.I've contacted Siebrand and Gerard from
> TranslateWiki and we hope they can be made available through the
> translatewiki.net interface soon.

This will clutter the already messy editing interface even further by breaking
the terms of use into three parts (before it was in copyrightwarning and
edittools). I don't suppose this can be avoided, as edittools is customized on
most wikis and cannot be changed in a centralized way, but local wikis should
then be allowed to suppress wikimedia-editpage-tos-summary and move its contents
to edittools (or vice versa).

Re: New Wikimedia licensing terms ready to translate

Seb35
Hello,

Some questions about these messages :
* Why is there no mention to the GFDL in the site footnote?
* What about the localized versions of CC-BY-SA? like
<http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/deed.fr> by language
and <http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/deed.fr_CA> by
language and country
* Should the Terms of Use be translated locally (by non-professionnal
translators) or is there some plan to translate it on the WMF site
(either by non-professionnal volunteers or professionnal certified
translators) ? because I think this page has some legal value.

Seb35

2009/6/25 Seb35 <[hidden email]>:
> * Why is there no mention to the GFDL in the site footnote?

GFDL only applies to a subset of articles which don't incorporate
CC-BY-SA-only materials, and in order to understand when it
applies/doesn't apply, you have to consult the terms of use anyway.
We're very conscious of how much space is taken up by legalese, so
we've decided to stick to a minimal approach for the site footer.

> * What about the localized versions of CC-BY-SA? like
> <http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/deed.fr> by language
> and <http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/deed.fr_CA> by
> language and country

You're free to link to official CC translations of the _unported_
CC-BY-SA license, like these above URLs.

> * Should the Terms of Use be translated locally (by non-professionnal
> translators) or is there some plan to translate it on the WMF site
> (either by non-professionnal volunteers or professionnal certified
> translators) ? because I think this page has some legal value.

The best page to translate is this:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Licensing_update/Implementation

It includes instructions for project communities on how to exactly
adapt and localize (both in a regional sense and a project sense) the
terms of use, and the core text itself. Volunteer translations of that
page are already in progress.

2009/6/25 Tisza Gergő <[hidden email]>:
> This will clutter the already messy editing interface even further by breaking
> the terms of use into three parts (before it was in copyrightwarning and
> edittools). I don't suppose this can be avoided, as edittools is customized on
> most wikis and cannot be changed in a centralized way, but local wikis should
> then be allowed to suppress wikimedia-editpage-tos-summary and move its contents
> to edittools (or vice versa).

My understanding is this: For the edit page, it should just be two
parts, wikimedia-editpage-tos-summary and wikimedia-copyrightwarning.
The default for the edittools message is to not contain licensing
info. _Some_ wikis have moved licensing stuff into edittools to reduce
clutter above the save/preview buttons. In order to address this need
more explicitly, the wikimedia-editpage-tos-summary message exists to
specifically capture secondary licensing information that can exist
below the edit/save buttons.

This will mean that when we take this code live, wikis that have
customized MediaWiki:Edittools to include licensing info will include
some redundant/incorrect info that has to be removed. There's no way
around that, but for the sake of clean updatability and consistency,
the wikimedia-* messages should be used in future for all licensing
info.