New branch ApiEdit_Vodafone

rfrisar
New branch ApiEdit_Vodafone

Hi all,

This is the new branch with the contribution to create three new actions: edit, reguser, upload: http://svn.wikimedia.org/svnroot/mediawiki/branches/ApiEdit_Vodafone/ .  New updates will be ready shortly, perhaps today.

Details about formats can be found at:  http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/API:Changing_wiki_content , see  Edit, Upload and RegUser.

Raquel

Raquel Frisa

R&D Engineer

Vodafone Group Research & Development .ES

Tel: + 34 (607) 137-414

Fax: +34 (974) 215-267

Mobile: +34 (610) 513-633

[hidden email]
http://www.vodafone-rnd.com

Postal Office:  Parque Tecnológico Walqa, Crta. Zaragoza, N-330ª Km.566 Edificio 2, 22197, Cuarte Huesca, Spain

Vodafone Group Services Limited

Registered Office: Vodafone House,  The Connection,  Newbury,  Berkshire,  RG14 2FN

Registered in England No 3802001

Re: New branch ApiEdit_Vodafone

Bryan Tong Minh
Great news! When can we expect this to be enabled?

Bryan

Bugzilla from mark@geekhive.net
Bryan Tong Minh wrote:
> On 8/30/07, Frisa, Raquel, VF-ES (rfrisar) <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > This is the new branch with the contribution to create three new actions:
> > edit, reguser, upload:
> > http://svn.wikimedia.org/svnroot/mediawiki/branches/ApiEdit_Vodafone/
> > .  New updates will be ready shortly, perhaps today.

This is really exciting.  The WWW::Mediawiki::Client users have been waiting
for an update for over a year, but I've been holding off until this work is
done.

-mark

smime.p7s (3K) Download Attachment

Re: New branch ApiEdit_Vodafone

rfrisar
My will is to have it as soon as possible, but it doesn't only depend on us.

Raquel

Great news! When can we expect this to be enabled?

Bryan

On 8/30/07, Frisa, Raquel, VF-ES (rfrisar) <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> This is the new branch with the contribution to create three new actions:
> edit, reguser, upload:
> http://svn.wikimedia.org/svnroot/mediawiki/branches/ApiEdit_Vodafone/
> .  New updates will be ready shortly, perhaps today.
>
> Details about formats can be found at:
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/API:Changing_wiki_content ,
> see  Edit, Upload and RegUser.
>

> Raquel
>
> Raquel Frisa
>
> R&D Engineer
>
> Vodafone Group Research & Development .ES
>

> Tel: + 34 (607) 137-414
>
> Fax: +34 (974) 215-267
>
> Mobile: +34 (610) 513-633
>
> mailto:[hidden email]
>  http://www.vodafone-rnd.com
>
> Postal Office:  Parque Tecnológico Walqa, Crta. Zaragoza, N-330ª Km.566 -
> Edificio 2, 22197, Cuarte - Huesca, Spain
>

> Vodafone Group Services Limited
>
> Registered Office: Vodafone House,  The Connection,  Newbury,  Berkshire,
> RG14 2FN
>
> Registered in England No 3802001

Re: New branch ApiEdit_Vodafone

Bryan Tong Minh
I took a more thorough look through the docs, and have a question
about those "tokens" needed for editting. Are you forced to pass those
tokens through a post request? Or can you also use the old cookie way?

upfile=<path_to_file>. I assume that that should be the actual file contents?

upsourcetype = <file>. And what does this mean? The mimetype?

Thanks for your great work!

Bryan

On 8/31/07, Frisa, Raquel, VF-ES (rfrisar) <[hidden email]> wrote:

> My will is to have it as soon as possible, but it doesn't only depend on us.
>
> Raquel

Nick Jenkins
> > Great news! When can we expect this to be enabled?
> >
> > Bryan
>
> My will is to have it as soon as possible, but it doesn't only depend on us.
>
> Raquel

From a software release and stability perspective, whilst also trying to maximize speed, it
would probably ideally go down something like this:

* Api Edit ongoing development in a branch (as is currently happening).
* MediaWiki 1.11 released. Does not include Api Edit, because it's a substantial new feature
  and therefore should be allowed sufficient time to stabilize and be thoroughly tested
  before being included in a stable MediaWiki release.
* One week or so passes after 1.11 release so as to deal with any general post-release issues
  (e.g. people with different configurations find that things that work okay for us are broken
  for them)
* Api Edit deemed by Vodafone developers & Yuri to be ready for public consumption.
* General announcement sent to wikitech-l and this list, announcing the imminent merge of Api Edit,
  giving examples of how to use Api Edit, how to test it, things to test, reminder of how to log
  bugs in bugzilla under the "API" category in the event of finding problems, pointers to
  the documentation, pointers to this mailing list, and so forth.
* Perhaps one last pre-Api-edit scap / sync to servers.
* Api Edit merged into SVN trunk. I am assuming that the Vodafone folks are mostly Mon-Friday
  9-to-5 folks, and therefore the merge should probably happen on a Monday or a Tuesday, rather
  than a Thurs / Fri / Sat / Sun, so that they are accessible for a few days after the merge.
* Other developers get a few days to play with the merged Api Edit on their SVN test machines,
  try it, and test it, etc. Presumably some bugs are logged, some bugs are fixed, there's some
  standard whinging about instead of doing A can it do B, etc.
* Assuming things are going okay with Api Edit, another scap could occur, and at this point
  Api Edit would be live on the Wikipedia. (And if things are going badly and major bugs or
  regressions are going unfixed, then it could be reverted, until those issues have been
  resolved in the branch).
* Situation normal: Bugs logged, fixed, etc, as per normal, for a few months. Incremental
  updates to Api Edit occur in mainline / trunk.
* Around 3 months after 1.11, MediaWiki 1.12 is released, which includes Api Edit, thus making
  it generally available to MediaWiki installations / upgrades in a stable release.

So:
* As a lower bound, the time between now and Api Edit being live on the Wikipedia is around
  3 weeks. That assumes that Api Edit is going to be considered ready one week or so after
  the release of 1.11 (I have no idea if that's plausible or not), and that everything else
  that comes before it in the above timeline goes smoothly.
* If Api Edit is not ready in the above timeframe, then the time it takes to get it to that
  stage must be factored in as well.

And of course, the above is just my personal 2 cents as the order in which I would like things
to happen - but it may have no correlation whatsoever with what actually ends up happening :-)

-- All the best,
Nick.

Re: New branch ApiEdit_Vodafone

rfrisar
Umm,  indeed, we're 8-to-3 folks (summer time), but from 17th we'll be
8.30-to-5.30 folks.  And we're based in Spain, GMT+1.
Anyway, our position is to facilitate as much as we can all this
process, so we'll be flexible for the "important" days, , it would be
great to make it come true in three weeks!

At this moment:

- Api Edit deemed by Vodafone developers & Yuri -->  we've already
started with that.
- Examples about how to use Api Edit. --> It's already public at:
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/API:Changing_wiki_content
- Examples about what to test and how to test -->  I don't really know
what it is expected.  Could someone provide me with an example given
before?  It's our first time, :-))  We are just offering a new interface
to existing functionality in Mediawiki Core: we're not changing core
functionality to edit, upload, etc.. so the things to test are the same
as in the graphical mediawiki.

Raquel

> > Great news! When can we expect this to be enabled?
> >
> > Bryan
>
> My will is to have it as soon as possible, but it doesn't only depend
on us.

> Raquel

From a software release and stability perspective, whilst also trying to
maximize speed, it
[...]

Yuri Astrakhan
Nick, thank you for an excellent comment - I couldn't have said it better :)

On 9/3/07, Nick Jenkins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> * Around 3 months after 1.11, MediaWiki 1.12 is released, which includes Api Edit, thus making
>   it generally available to MediaWiki installations / upgrades in a stable release.
>
> So:
> * As a lower bound, the time between now and Api Edit being live on the Wikipedia is around
>   3 weeks. That assumes that Api Edit is going to be considered ready one week or so after
>   the release of 1.11 (I have no idea if that's plausible or not), and that everything else
>   that comes before it in the above timeline goes smoothly.
> * If Api Edit is not ready in the above timeframe, then the time it takes to get it to that
>   stage must be factored in as well.
>
> And of course, the above is just my personal 2 cents as the order in which I would like things
> to happen - but it may have no correlation whatsoever with what actually ends up happening :-)

Platonides
Raquel Frisa escribió:

> Umm,  indeed, we're 8-to-3 folks (summer time), but from 17th we'll be
> 8.30-to-5.30 folks.  And we're based in Spain, GMT+1.
> Anyway, our position is to facilitate as much as we can all this
> process, so we'll be flexible for the "important" days, , it would be
> great to make it come true in three weeks!
>
> At this moment:
>
> - Api Edit deemed by Vodafone developers & Yuri -->  we've already
> started with that.
> - Examples about how to use Api Edit. --> It's already public at:
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/API:Changing_wiki_content
> - Examples about what to test and how to test -->  I don't really know
> what it is expected.  Could someone provide me with an example given
> before?  It's our first time, :-))  We are just offering a new interface
> to existing functionality in Mediawiki Core: we're not changing core
> functionality to edit, upload, etc.. so the things to test are the same
> as in the graphical mediawiki.

Examples like http://www.mediawiki.org/w/api.php
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/API:Changing_wiki_content already has some
information but adding it to the "information" page would be good too.

 From http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/API:_Changing_wiki_content-_Upload
"ns: 6       Show title’s namespace except when ns=0"
Does that mean that i could uipload a file to the main namespace??

Nick, on the "Other developers get a few days to play with the merged
Api Edit on their SVN test machines" i'd also make it available on
test.wikipedia.org A client interface it is, you shouldn't need a local
mediawiki install.

On 9/3/07, Platonides <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Raquel Frisa escribió:
> > Umm,  indeed, we're 8-to-3 folks (summer time), but from 17th we'll be
> > 8.30-to-5.30 folks.  And we're based in Spain, GMT+1.
> > Anyway, our position is to facilitate as much as we can all this
> > process, so we'll be flexible for the "important" days, , it would be
> > great to make it come true in three weeks!
> >

> Examples like http://www.mediawiki.org/w/api.php
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/API:Changing_wiki_content already has some
> information but adding it to the "information" page would be good too.

Yes, the API doc pages should be substantially edited to work out the
exact API call semantics. Please remember that unlike the web
interface, changing API is *very* disruptive, so lets get this done
right from the start. Rushing to market is baaaaad, ok?! :)

>  From http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/API:_Changing_wiki_content-_Upload
> "ns: 6       Show title's namespace except when ns=0"
> Does that mean that i could uipload a file to the main namespace??

Fixed.

> Nick, on the "Other developers get a few days to play with the merged
> Api Edit on their SVN test machines" i'd also make it available on
> test.wikipedia.org A client interface it is, you shouldn't need a local
> mediawiki install.

Yep, needs Brion's blessing.

Re: New branch ApiEdit_Vodafone

rfrisar
The API can be used by third party applications, and not only by web applicatiosn...  In our case, we are using it for a client on a mobile device and thus no cookies are supported, that's why all information stored in cookies must be managed through the request.  POST is just our election, we feel more conformate passing sensible information via POST.

About upfile --> that's right, the file contents.

upsourcetype = yes mime-type.  Currently, only images can be uploaded, but we have plans to upload also video/audio.

I take the point to add examples to the docs!

Raquel