New functionality

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
People who edit on WiktionaryZ now have the possibility to add new
Expressions and new DefinedMeanings. This is one piece of functionality that
has been most eagerly awaited. What amazes me most, is that there is already
so much content, check for instance this list:
http://www.wiktionaryz.org/Portal:eng/List_of_1000_basic_English_words

To remind you, WiktionaryZ is still very much in a pre-alpha stage, this
means that editing is not there for anonymous users, users that want to
edit, have to add their Babel template information and have read the
[[DefinedMeaning]] article.

Thanks,
    GerardM

Re: New functionality

Oldak
Are you planning on making WiktionaryZ semantic? Will you frame
content in both human-readable form and in some kind of RDF/OWL
casing? This could certainly be a very useful feature.

--
Oldak Quill ([hidden email])

Re: New functionality

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
YES.....

OWL is with LDF and TBX one of the formats that we want to use for the
import and export of content. The export of WiktionaryZ will be in a
standard format, this will hide what we do to our software and our database
design.

Experiments with BIG resources are underway, we are negotiating with some
big organisations we want to cooperate with. Many of these imports will not
be using standard formats as they are not in standard formats. OUR exports
will however be according to a standard or we will only provide a database
dump (which is not really nice if you want to use our data in an other
format).

Thanks,
   GerardM

On 7/20/06, Oldak Quill <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Are you planning on making WiktionaryZ semantic? Will you frame
> content in both human-readable form and in some kind of RDF/OWL
> casing? This could certainly be a very useful feature.
>
> --
> Oldak Quill ([hidden email])

Re: New functionality

Erik Moeller-3
To add to what Gerard wrote:

WiktionaryZ  follows a typical subject/predicate/object logic in its
primary representation (though it deals with homonyms, synonyms, and
translations better than most ontologies). Exporting to OWL should not
pose principal problems, though I haven't investigated the question in
detail (in particular, what would be needed to match WZ entities to
classes in OWL).

Our key development priority for the coming weeks is to build a
versioning architecture to move towards opening up the site in a true
wiki fashion. We also seek to open up the development process itself,
by providing code documentation, bringing the codebase in line with
the current SVN version of MediaWiki, and so on. I hope we will be
able to make some progress in that regard before Wikimania, which will
be a primary opportunity to show the current state of the project to a
group of interested developers. Quite possibly, this will already lead
directly to the kind of developments which you describe.

Those interested in WZ should definitely get a flight ticket to
Boston. There are several relevant talks and workshops at Wikimania.

Erik

Re: New functionality

Oldak
I'm sure you know about the SourceForge project "Semantic MediaWiki".
You may find developers working on that project who would be willing
to work on the semantic side of WiktionaryZ.

Just a suggestion,

Oldak Quill ([hidden email])

Re: New functionality

Erik Moeller-3
On 7/20/06, Oldak Quill <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm sure you know about the SourceForge project "Semantic MediaWiki".
> You may find developers working on that project who would be willing
> to work on the semantic side of WiktionaryZ.

We're well aware of each other and have already agreed to enter
discussions about potential areas and models of collaboration.

Erik

Re: New functionality

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
Semantic MediaWiki currently is part of the SVN that exists for both
MediaWiki, WiktionaryZ and Semantic MediaWiki. I did meet Denny in Rome and
we agreed that the functionality of WZ and SM is not in competition and that
we would both benefit from cooperation. Semantic MediaWiki has already done
a lot of great work. It is aimed squarly at the standard MediaWiki content.
Our work is aimed at content that exists as Wikidata content.

We will benefit when we work together.