New hardware ordered

Lilewyn
When we named nightshade, the theme was "poisonous plants".

Current servers (from https://wiki.toolserver.org/view/Servers )
* Hemlock
* Nightshade
* Willow
* Zedler (Not a poisonous plant, but names after Johann Heinrich Zedler,
   who was an 18th century German encyclopedist. This is in keeping with
   the WMF naming scheme.)
* Yarrow
* Vandale (As above, but Van Dale was Dutch.)
* Clematis (Poisonous plant, not an encyclopedist)

Short, usable, and thematic (poisonous plant) names might be:
* Azalea
* Daphne
* Digitalis
* Foxglove
* Hellebore
* Holly
* Lilly
* Oleander
* Privet
* Wolfsbane
* Yew

"Daphne", "Holly" and "Lilly" have the distinction of also being female
names, which would give us another opportunity to confuse those
trying to understand our naming schema.

I'm rather fond of Azalea personally, though I think someone reminded me
recently that "nightshade" was my suggestion, so I'll sit this one out.

~ Kylu

Re: New hardware ordered

Bryan Tong Minh
On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 11:50 PM, Lilewyn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Short, usable, and thematic (poisonous plant) names might be:
> * Azalea
> * Daphne
> * Digitalis
> * Foxglove
> * Hellebore
> * Holly
> * Lilly
> * Oleander
> * Privet
> * Wolfsbane
> * Yew

I like wolfsbane.

Bryan

Re: New hardware ordered

Simon Walker-4
2009/1/16 Lilewyn <[hidden email]>:
> * Vandale (As above, but Van Dale was Dutch.)
> * Willow

> * Yarrow
> * Zedler (Not a poisonous plant, but names after Johann Heinrich Zedler,
>   who was an 18th century German encyclopedist. This is in keeping with
>   the WMF naming scheme.)

Something needs to fill that gap :P

> Short, usable, and thematic (poisonous plant) names might be:
> * Azalea
> * Daphne
> * Digitalis
> * Foxglove
> * Hellebore
> * Holly
> * Lilly
> * Oleander
> * Privet
> * Wolfsbane
> * Yew

I'm sure someone came up with a name beginning with X, or am I just
imagining it?

Simon Walker
User:Stwalkerster on all public Wikimedia Foundation wikis
Administrator on the English Wikipedia
Developer of Helpmebot and the ACC tool

Your donations keep Wikipedia running! Support the Wikimedia
Foundation today: http://www.wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Donate

Re: New hardware ordered

Soxred93@gmail.com
Some more ones that I am submitting are:
* Narcissus (one of my favorites)
* Larkspur
* Iris (one of my favorites)
* Rhubarb
* Yew
* Elderberry
* Mistletoe

Soxred93/X!

On Jan 16, 2009, at 7:06 PM [Jan 16, 2009 ], Simon Walker wrote:

> 2009/1/16 Lilewyn <[hidden email]>:
>> * Vandale (As above, but Van Dale was Dutch.)
>> * Willow
>
>> * Yarrow
>> * Zedler (Not a poisonous plant, but names after Johann Heinrich
>> Zedler,
>>   who was an 18th century German encyclopedist. This is in keeping
>> with
>>   the WMF naming scheme.)
>
> Something needs to fill that gap :P
>
>> Short, usable, and thematic (poisonous plant) names might be:
>> * Azalea
>> * Daphne
>> * Digitalis
>> * Foxglove
>> * Hellebore
>> * Holly
>> * Lilly
>> * Oleander
>> * Privet
>> * Wolfsbane
>> * Yew
>
> I'm sure someone came up with a name beginning with X, or am I just
> imagining it?
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Simon Walker
> User:Stwalkerster on all public Wikimedia Foundation wikis
> Administrator on the English Wikipedia
> Developer of Helpmebot and the ACC tool
>
> Your donations keep Wikipedia running! Support the Wikimedia
> Foundation today: http://www.wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Donate

Re: New hardware ordered

Jason Y. Lee
In regards to filling the "X" name in line with Poisonous plants, I found this list from Cornell:
http://www.ansci.cornell.edu/plants/index.html

I knew the common name would not produce an "X" letter name, but perhaps its scientific name would:

The plant known as "Cocklebur" -- its common species is poisonous to animals and livestock.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cocklebur

It's genus name is Xanthium.

Anyway, just offering a suggestion.

- Jason Lee
en:User:AllyUnion

On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 9:04 PM, Soxred93 <[hidden email]> wrote:
Some more ones that I am submitting are:
* Narcissus (one of my favorites)
* Larkspur
* Iris (one of my favorites)
* Rhubarb
* Yew
* Elderberry
* Mistletoe

Soxred93/X!

On Jan 16, 2009, at 7:06 PM [Jan 16, 2009 ], Simon Walker wrote:

> 2009/1/16 Lilewyn <[hidden email]>:
>> * Vandale (As above, but Van Dale was Dutch.)
>> * Willow
>
>> * Yarrow
>> * Zedler (Not a poisonous plant, but names after Johann Heinrich
>> Zedler,
>>   who was an 18th century German encyclopedist. This is in keeping
>> with
>>   the WMF naming scheme.)
>
> Something needs to fill that gap :P
>
>> Short, usable, and thematic (poisonous plant) names might be:
>> * Azalea
>> * Daphne
>> * Digitalis
>> * Foxglove
>> * Hellebore
>> * Holly
>> * Lilly
>> * Oleander
>> * Privet
>> * Wolfsbane
>> * Yew
>
> I'm sure someone came up with a name beginning with X, or am I just
> imagining it?
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Simon Walker
> User:Stwalkerster on all public Wikimedia Foundation wikis
> Administrator on the English Wikipedia
> Developer of Helpmebot and the ACC tool
>
> Your donations keep Wikipedia running! Support the Wikimedia
> Foundation today: http://www.wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Donate

OQ

Re: New hardware ordered

OQ
Although it's not poisonous, how about Yggdrasil, keeps (most) of the DB
servers starting with Y :D

Jason Y. Lee wrote:

> [...]
>     >> * Foxglove
>     >> * Hellebore
>     >> * Holly
>     >> * Lilly
>     >> * Oleander
>     >> * Privet
>     >> * Wolfsbane
>     >> * Yew
>     >
>     > I'm sure someone came up with a name beginning with X, or am I just
>     > imagining it?
>     >
>     > --
>     > Regards,
>     >
>     > Simon Walker
>     > User:Stwalkerster on all public Wikimedia Foundation wikis
>     > Administrator on the English Wikipedia
>     > Developer of Helpmebot and the ACC tool
>     >
>     > Your donations keep Wikipedia running! Support the Wikimedia

Re: New hardware ordered

James R.
I actually don't mind Xanthium :)

- James

On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 7:09 PM, Jason Y. Lee <[hidden email]> wrote:
In regards to filling the "X" name in line with Poisonous plants, I found this list from Cornell:
http://www.ansci.cornell.edu/plants/index.html

I knew the common name would not produce an "X" letter name, but perhaps its scientific name would:

The plant known as "Cocklebur" -- its common species is poisonous to animals and livestock.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cocklebur

It's genus name is Xanthium.

Anyway, just offering a suggestion.

- Jason Lee
en:User:AllyUnion

On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 9:04 PM, Soxred93 <[hidden email]> wrote:
Some more ones that I am submitting are:
* Narcissus (one of my favorites)
* Larkspur
* Iris (one of my favorites)
* Rhubarb
* Yew
* Elderberry
* Mistletoe

Soxred93/X!

On Jan 16, 2009, at 7:06 PM [Jan 16, 2009 ], Simon Walker wrote:

> 2009/1/16 Lilewyn <[hidden email]>:
>> * Vandale (As above, but Van Dale was Dutch.)
>> * Willow
>
>> * Yarrow
>> * Zedler (Not a poisonous plant, but names after Johann Heinrich
>> Zedler,
>>   who was an 18th century German encyclopedist. This is in keeping
>> with
>>   the WMF naming scheme.)
>
> Something needs to fill that gap :P
>
>> Short, usable, and thematic (poisonous plant) names might be:
>> * Azalea
>> * Daphne
>> * Digitalis
>> * Foxglove
>> * Hellebore
>> * Holly
>> * Lilly
>> * Oleander
>> * Privet
>> * Wolfsbane
>> * Yew
>
> I'm sure someone came up with a name beginning with X, or am I just
> imagining it?
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Simon Walker
> User:Stwalkerster on all public Wikimedia Foundation wikis
> Administrator on the English Wikipedia
> Developer of Helpmebot and the ACC tool
>
> Your donations keep Wikipedia running! Support the Wikimedia
> Foundation today: http://www.wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Donate

--
James R.

[[User:JamesR]]
English Wikipedia Administrator
Wikimedia Australia Member

Re: New hardware ordered

KALAN-4
On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 19:50, James R. <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I actually don't mind Xanthium :)
I like it too :)

— Kalan

Re: New hardware ordered

Artur Fijałkowski
I would like to see

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atropa_belladonna

especially cause it's 'deadly nightshade' (nightshade 2.0 ;)

AJF/WarX

Re: New hardware ordered

Soxred93@gmail.com
How do you pronounce it? :P

X!

On Jan 17, 2009, at 5:17 AM [Jan 17, 2009 ], Q wrote:

> Although it's not poisonous, how about Yggdrasil, keeps (most) of
> the DB
> servers starting with Y :D
>
> Jason Y. Lee wrote:
>> In regards to filling the "X" name in line with Poisonous plants, I
>> found this list from Cornell:
>> http://www.ansci.cornell.edu/plants/index.html
>>
>> I knew the common name would not produce an "X" letter name, but
>> perhaps
>> its scientific name would:
>>
>> The plant known as "Cocklebur" -- its common species is poisonous to
>> animals and livestock.
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cocklebur
>>
>> It's genus name is Xanthium.
>>
>> Anyway, just offering a suggestion.
>>
>> - Jason Lee
>> en:User:AllyUnion
>>
>> On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 9:04 PM, Soxred93 <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>>     Some more ones that I am submitting are:
>>     * Narcissus (one of my favorites)
>>     * Larkspur
>>     * Iris (one of my favorites)
>>     * Rhubarb
>>     * Yew
>>     * Elderberry
>>     * Mistletoe
>>
>>     Soxred93/X!

>>> Something needs to fill that gap :P

>>> I'm sure someone came up with a name beginning with X, or am I just
>>> imagining it?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Simon Walker
>>> User:Stwalkerster on all public Wikimedia Foundation wikis
>>> Administrator on the English Wikipedia
>>> Developer of Helpmebot and the ACC tool
>>>
>>> Your donations keep Wikipedia running! Support the Wikimedia
>>> Foundation today: http://www.wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Donate

Re: New hardware ordered

Marco Schuster-2
On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 1:50 PM, James R. <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I actually don't mind Xanthium :)

Sounds good.

Marco

Re: New hardware ordered

Soxred93@gmail.com
Xanthium is the best, in my opinion. Either way would sound cool, though

X!

On Jan 17, 2009, at 5:04 PM [Jan 17, 2009 ], Legoktm wrote:

I like wolfsbane.

Legoktm

On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 11:39 PM, Soxred93 <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Xanthium is the best, in my opinion. Either way would sound cool, though
> X!

I don't like Xanthium as a server name.

Re: New hardware ordered

James Hare
You're thinking of Intel Xeon, obviously.

I still think it should be named "rolandburris". One word, all lower case.

Marco Schuster wrote:
On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 1:50 PM, James R. [hidden email] wrote:

I actually don't mind Xanthium :)

Sounds good.

Marco

Re: New hardware ordered

Lilewyn
We've got this nice clean (relatively unused) wiki sitting around.
Why not put suggestions on there and use some approval voting
to see which names have the most support?

~ Kylu

Re: New hardware ordered

Larry Pieniazek
Xanthium works for me too... should really confuse people nicely.

(I'd say it tsanthium but I could be wrong...)

Larry Pieniazek
Hobby mail: Lar at Miltontrainworks dot com

Re: New hardware ordered

Soxred93@gmail.com
I'd say zanthium.

X!