New in RDFIO: MUCH simplified installation via composer or vagrant

New in RDFIO: MUCH simplified installation via composer or vagrant

Samuel Lampa-4
Hi folks,

This is kind of old news in fact, and nothing new since SMWCon last
year, but I realized I haven't pinged about it here:

For anyone having tried to install RDFIO (pure-PHP RDF import & SPARQL
endpoint) in the past, and failed, I can now provide two pieces of good

1. RDFIO is installable via a single command via composer. See the
README on github for instructions:

https://github.com/rdfio/RDFIO#installation

2. There is also an automated setup of a whole SMW+RDFIO installation in
a virtual machine ... a so called "vagrant box". It will set up
Ubuntu+MW+SMW+RDFIO in under 20 minutes, after you have installed three
tools (Don't be scared ... those are REALLY easy to install) and running
the command "vagrant up":

https://github.com/rdfio/rdfio-vagrantbox

This means there are now two very easy to use options for anyone wanting
to try out RDFIO.

Use 1. if you already have an SMW installation and composer installed, and
Use 2. if you don't have an SMW installation, or don't want to mess with
an existing installation just for testing.

Hope this will enable more people to make use of RDFIO, and even become
interested in helping to develop and maintain it! :)

(Btw, the slides from my pres at SMWCon last year provide a bit more
info on the status of RDFIO:
https://www.slideshare.net/SamuelLampa/batch-import-of-large-rdf-datasets-into-semantic-mediawiki
)

Cheers
// Samuel

Re: New in RDFIO: MUCH simplified installation via composer or vagrant

Samuel Lampa-4
So very typical, but it turns out RDFIO has gotten installation issues
since last time I used it:

https://github.com/rdfio/RDFIO/issues/33

These errors now show up even in the vagrant box installation, even
though we did not change anything since it worked last time, so I tend
to gather there are changes in the dependencies (ARC2 or so ... the
vagrant box fixes MW and SMW versions).

So until we've been able to fix this, my apologies, and you might want
to check out the standalone rdf2smw tool instead in the meanwhile:
https://github.com/rdfio/rdf2smw

Best
// Samuel

[Fixed] Re: New in RDFIO: MUCH simplified installation via composer or vagrant

Samuel Lampa-4
On 2017-03-27 15:15, Samuel Lampa wrote:
> So very typical, but it turns out RDFIO has gotten installation issues
> since last time I used it:
>
> https://github.com/rdfio/RDFIO/issues/33
>
> These errors now show up even in the vagrant box installation,

Ok, the vagrant box is fixed now.

The issue is that RDFIO is not yet compatible with SMW 2.5, and the
composer command in the vagrant box managed to grab the 2.5 version for
some reason, although 2.4.x was intended.

So as a fix until RDFIO supports SMW 2.5, we have fixed the vagrant box
to SMW 2.4.6.

Best
// Samuel

Re: [Fixed] Re: New in RDFIO: MUCH simplified installation via composer or vagrant

James HK
Hi,

> composer command in the vagrant box managed to grab the 2.5 version for
> some reason, although 2.4.x was intended.

When you work with something like `composer require
mediawiki/semantic-media-wiki ~2.4` (the tilde as a dedicated meaning
[0]) it will pull the the next significant release which is 2.5.

If you want only 2.4 releases (incl.patches) then you have to define
2.4.* [1] as constraint.

[0] https://getcomposer.org/doc/articles/versions.md#tilde
[1] https://getcomposer.org/doc/articles/versions.md#wildcard

Cheers

On 2017-03-27 17:21, James HK wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> composer command in the vagrant box managed to grab the 2.5 version for
>> some reason, although 2.4.x was intended.
> When you work with something like `composer require
> mediawiki/semantic-media-wiki ~2.4` (the tilde as a dedicated meaning
> [0]) it will pull the the next significant release which is 2.5.
>
> If you want only 2.4 releases (incl.patches) then you have to define
> 2.4.* [1] as constraint.
>
> [0] https://getcomposer.org/doc/articles/versions.md#tilde
> [1] https://getcomposer.org/doc/articles/versions.md#wildcard
>
> Cheers