New project proposal: wiki-based troubleshooting

New project proposal: wiki-based troubleshooting

Ziyuan Yao
Possible names:  WikiTroubleshooting/WikiWizard/WikiWiz/WikiSolve/WikiFix/...

Motivation:

Wikipedia provides factual knowledge (e.g. 7th-grade geometry) but not
problem-solving capabilities (e.g. helping a visitor solve his
geometry problem).

Solution:

A hypertext system like a wiki can implement a step-by-step wizard (as
seen in Windows XP's Troubleshooter help system; screenshot:
http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/i/tr/cms/contentPics/multimon-e.gif)
that lets a visitor incrementally select symptoms of his problem, and
finally the wizard leads to a wiki page that shows possible causes for
and solutions to his problem. Any problem in life can be included in
this wiki. For example, the visitor can start at a "Troubleshooting
Your Health Problem" portal, and the portal lets the visitor select a
body part that feels uncomfortable, and subsequent wizard pages let
him select more specific symptoms, until enough symptoms are specified
so that a final wizard page can show possible diseases and their
causes and solutions. Like Wikipedia, WikiTroubleshooting should cite
credible references.

Best Regards,
Yao Ziyuan
http://sites.google.com/site/yaoziyuan/

Re: New project proposal: wiki-based troubleshooting

Thomas Dalton
We definitely do not want to be giving medical advice to people. If
you get that wrong, people die. Medical advice should be got by going
to the doctors. Can you give another example of what your idea could
be used for? Can you also explain how it would work - how would we put
together this wizard?

On 4 May 2010 20:58, Yao Ziyuan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Possible names:  WikiTroubleshooting/WikiWizard/WikiWiz/WikiSolve/WikiFix/...
>
> Motivation:
>
> Wikipedia provides factual knowledge (e.g. 7th-grade geometry) but not
> problem-solving capabilities (e.g. helping a visitor solve his
> geometry problem).
>
> Solution:
>
> A hypertext system like a wiki can implement a step-by-step wizard (as
> seen in Windows XP's Troubleshooter help system; screenshot:
> http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/i/tr/cms/contentPics/multimon-e.gif)
> that lets a visitor incrementally select symptoms of his problem, and
> finally the wizard leads to a wiki page that shows possible causes for
> and solutions to his problem. Any problem in life can be included in
> this wiki. For example, the visitor can start at a "Troubleshooting
> Your Health Problem" portal, and the portal lets the visitor select a
> body part that feels uncomfortable, and subsequent wizard pages let
> him select more specific symptoms, until enough symptoms are specified
> so that a final wizard page can show possible diseases and their
> causes and solutions. Like Wikipedia, WikiTroubleshooting should cite
> credible references.
>
> Best Regards,
> Yao Ziyuan
> http://sites.google.com/site/yaoziyuan/

Re: New project proposal: wiki-based troubleshooting

Geoffrey Plourde
This is a interesting proposal, but I'd suggest taking the idea to Meta. There is already a Symptom checker at WebMD, but it could potentially upon a legal can of worms for WM to get involved in medical troubleshooting.

________________________________

Thomas Dalton wrote:

>> We definitely do not want to be giving medical advice to people. If
>> you get that wrong, people die. Medical advice should be got by going
>> to the doctors. Can you give another example of what your idea could

Yes, medical troubleshooting is both extremely useful and extremely
sensitive, and that's why I said "Like Wikipedia, WikiTroubleshooting
should cite credible references." We could put a warning and a
disclaimer on every medical troubleshooting page telling the visitor
to check cited references and other sources before adopting any
advice.

>> be used for? Can you also explain how it would work - how would we put

Troubleshooting is enormously useful beyond the medical domain. For
example, troubleshooting problems when using a computer (hardware or
software), programming (intending to implement something but the
program doesn't behave as desired; in this case, a troubleshooter
helps the programmer incrementally specify his *intent* rather than
*problem*), using home appliances ("my air conditioner has ice"), or
any other problem at home or at work.

>> together this wizard?

To understand how a wiki can implement a "troubleshooting wizard", you
must first understand what is a "troubleshooting wizard". Googling [
troubleshooting wizard ], we can see some examples:

http://www1.linksys.com/support/troubleshoot/routers/index.html
http://support.plato.com/ple/troubleshooting.asp
http://www.fixyourdlp.com/wizard/launch-window.html
http://support.hubris.net/dialup/wizard/

All of the above examples help a visitor isolate his problem step by
step, asking one question at each step and finally giving possible
solutions.

Also learn about the concept "troubleshooting" at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troubleshooting .

How can a wiki implement a troubleshooting wizard? A wizard is a set
of pages. Each page assumes you have specified certain symptoms (e.g.
symptom1, symptom3, symptom5) of your problem and asks you a question
to specify a new symptom (e.g. symptom10); then it redirects you to a
asks you yet another question or shows you possible causes and
solutions for the symptoms you have specified so far (1, 3, 5, 10).

Therefore they're just static HTML pages where each page can link to
one or more "next pages". This is exactly what a wiki can do.

Geoffrey Plourde wrote:
> This is a interesting proposal, but I'd suggest taking the idea to Meta. There is already a
> Symptom checker at WebMD, but it could potentially upon a legal can of worms for WM to get
> involved in medical troubleshooting.

There may already be online troubleshooting wizards for a domain (e.g.
medicare), and people have to memorize the domain names of these
domain-specific troubleshooting wizards. What I propose is a single,
universal entry point for all your troubles in life --
WikiTroubleshooting.org, so that you don't need to memorize individual
sites like WebMD. It's like with Wikipedia -- if you want to learn
about something, you just go to a single website: wikipedia.org,
without learning about domain-specific knowledgebase websites.

Best Regards,
Yao Ziyuan
http://sites.google.com/site/yaoziyuan/

Re: New project proposal: wiki-based troubleshooting

Alex Zaddach
On 5/4/2010 5:16 PM, Yao Ziyuan wrote:

> Thomas Dalton wrote:
>>>
>>> We definitely do not want to be giving medical advice to people. If
>>> you get that wrong, people die. Medical advice should be got by going
>>> to the doctors. Can you give another example of what your idea could
>
> Yes, medical troubleshooting is both extremely useful and extremely
> sensitive, and that's why I said "Like Wikipedia, WikiTroubleshooting
> should cite credible references." We could put a warning and a
> disclaimer on every medical troubleshooting page telling the visitor
> to check cited references and other sources before adopting any
> advice.

A disclaimer would probably shield us from lawsuits, but there would
still be a lot of ethical issues in "the free medical advice anyone can
edit" (since we know most people won't check sources, especially print
sources). Setting aside the issues of vandalism, even a good intentioned
edit by someone who doesn't have adequate medical training could cause
problems if they misread a source or use a source that isn't as reliable
as they think. A lot higher standard for "reliable" would be needed for
something like that.

> How can a wiki implement a troubleshooting wizard? A wizard is a set
> of pages. Each page assumes you have specified certain symptoms (e.g.
> symptom1, symptom3, symptom5) of your problem and asks you a question
> to specify a new symptom (e.g. symptom10); then it redirects you to a
> asks you yet another question or shows you possible causes and
> solutions for the symptoms you have specified so far (1, 3, 5, 10).
>
> Therefore they're just static HTML pages where each page can link to
> one or more "next pages". This is exactly what a wiki can do.

The main issue I can see (other than that for medical advice and the
like), is that troubleshooters don't lend themselves as well to
incremental building. A Wikipedia article with only a few sentences or a
Wikibook with only a couple chapters are still slightly useful. A
troubleshooter with only a couple steps is much less so.

Say you have a troubleshooter for a printer not working:
1. Is the printer plugged in and on?
Yes
2. Is there paper loaded?
Yes
3. Sorry, that's all this troubleshooter can help you with for now.

--
Alex (wikipedia:en:User:Mr.Z-man)

On 5 May 2010 16:34, Alex <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Yes, medical troubleshooting is both extremely useful and extremely
>> sensitive, and that's why I said "Like Wikipedia, WikiTroubleshooting
>> should cite credible references." We could put a warning and a
>> disclaimer on every medical troubleshooting page telling the visitor
>> to check cited references and other sources before adopting any
>> advice.
>
> A disclaimer would probably shield us from lawsuits

What is your basis for that? My understanding is the disclaimers
rarely do anything legally.