New use for QRpedia?

Andrew West-4
Just read this BBC article
<http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-15216513> where the correspondent
wanders around a Paris cemetery, smartphone in hand, searching the
internet for information about the people buried there.  How much more
convenient if the graves of notable people were tastefully and
discretely marked with QRpedia codes.  A Wikimedia UK collaboration
with Highgate Cemetery maybe?

Andrew

Re: New use for QRpedia?

Michael Peel-4
In related news…:
http://www.japantrends.com/qr-code-graves-give-a-memorial-window/
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2011-07-19-qr-codes-smartphones_n.htm

(I think the URLs are self-evident - although note that this is effectively 'vanity QR codes' rather than notable people ones.)

Mike

On 10 Oct 2011, at 10:20, Andrew West wrote:

> Just read this BBC article
> <http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-15216513> where the correspondent
> wanders around a Paris cemetery, smartphone in hand, searching the
> internet for information about the people buried there.  How much more
> convenient if the graves of notable people were tastefully and
> discretely marked with QRpedia codes.  A Wikimedia UK collaboration
> with Highgate Cemetery maybe?
>
> Andrew

Re: New use for QRpedia?

Andy Mabbett-2

Not sure you're on this mailing list...

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing

On Oct 10, 2011 10:20 AM, "Andrew West" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Just read this BBC article
<http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-15216513> where the correspondent
wanders around a Paris cemetery, smartphone in hand, searching the
internet for information about the people buried there.  How much more
convenient if the graves of notable people were tastefully and
discretely marked with QRpedia codes.  A Wikimedia UK collaboration
with Highgate Cemetery maybe?

Andrew

Re: New use for QRpedia?

Gordon Joly
On 10/10/2011 10:26, Chris Keating wrote:
> We should also get QRPedia codes on blue plaques, monuments, and war
> memorials. :-)
Yes. I am sure English Heritage would jump at the prospect!

Gordo

--

Gordon Joly
[hidden email]

Re: New use for QRpedia?

Roger Bamkin
I think the blue plaques is a lower hanging fruit. I thought someone (TomMorris?) was involved with these plaques. I would have thought we would be an obvious partner as we are not-for-profit and we would have a permanent url to a farly good article in most cases with a good chance of multi-lingual support.... and if you don't recognise "Enid Blyton - author" then it would be an added service. (And if you were brought up in France then you may not know who she is).

Anyone fancy banging on a ministry door?

It would take a long time to do though unless we could find a stick on or easily attachable (and) durable  method of adding one to an existing plaque.

The other obvious customer is "Wiki Loves Monuments"

You may not have seen this new but the Juan Miro exhib opens on Friday in Barcelona (biggest for 20 years) and Wikipedians are the curators and its all QRpedia'd by Kippelboy et al. If you get a minute then give a polish to the Joan Miro painting articles (easy to find in template). There is support for about 5 languages, but if you can type Welsh etc then now is the time to show it off

Best wishes

See you Sunday

On 12 October 2011 19:54, Gordon Joly <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 10/10/2011 10:26, Chris Keating wrote:
> We should also get QRPedia codes on blue plaques, monuments, and war
> memorials. :-)
Yes. I am sure English Heritage would jump at the prospect!

Gordo

--

Gordon Joly
[hidden email]
http://www.joly.org.uk/
Don't Leave Space To The Professionals!

Roger Bamkin
01332 702993
0758 2020815
Google+:Victuallers
Skype:Victuallers1
Flickr:Victuallers2

Re: New use for QRpedia?

Andy Mabbett-2
Codes /on/ blue plaques would probably not work - they tend to be
high-up, so hard to reach, in order to scan (obviously with a few
exceptions). Codes on a second, lower, plaque - say 6" square, in the
same colours -  may work. Perhaps the foundation could pay for one to
be cast, if we find a suitable host?

Tom is involved with http://openplaques.org which documents plaques.

This is something I'd like to be involved in - I'm already looking for
a local candidate. However, I think talking to English Heritage,
rather than a ministry, would be appropriate - though other
organisations also erect plaques in blue and other colours.

On 13 October 2011 10:28, Roger Bamkin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think the blue plaques is a lower hanging fruit. I thought someone
> (TomMorris?) was involved with these plaques. I would have thought we would
> be an obvious partner as we are not-for-profit and we would have a permanent
> url to a farly good article in most cases with a good chance of
> multi-lingual support.... and if you don't recognise "Enid Blyton - author"
> then it would be an added service. (And if you were brought up in France
> then you may not know who she is).
>
> Anyone fancy banging on a ministry door?
>
> It would take a long time to do though unless we could find a stick on or
> easily attachable (and) durable  method of adding one to an existing plaque.
>
> The other obvious customer is "Wiki Loves Monuments"
>
> You may not have seen this new but the Juan Miro exhib opens on Friday in
> Barcelona (biggest for 20 years) and Wikipedians are the curators and its
> all QRpedia'd by Kippelboy et al. If you get a minute then give a polish to
> the Joan Miro painting articles (easy to find in template). There is support
> for about 5 languages, but if you can type Welsh etc then now is the time to
> show it off
>
> Best wishes
>
> See you Sunday
>
> On 12 October 2011 19:54, Gordon Joly <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On 10/10/2011 10:26, Chris Keating wrote:
>> > We should also get QRPedia codes on blue plaques, monuments, and war
>> > memorials. :-)
>> Yes. I am sure English Heritage would jump at the prospect!

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing
http://pigsonthewing.org.uk

Re: New use for QRpedia?

Tom Morris-5
On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 10:28, Roger Bamkin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I think the blue plaques is a lower hanging fruit. I thought someone
> (TomMorris?) was involved with these plaques. I would have thought we would
> be an obvious partner as we are not-for-profit and we would have a permanent
> url to a farly good article in most cases with a good chance of
> multi-lingual support.... and if you don't recognise "Enid Blyton - author"
> then it would be an added service. (And if you were brought up in France
> then you may not know who she is).

My name is invoked! I'm not sure as to whether there would be interest
in QR coding blue plaques - the property owners might object. ;-)

Which reminds me: Open Plaques needs internationalization. If I were
to raise a bug and write code to support internationalizing the
interface, would anyone be interested in helping to make the OP
interface available in languages other than English? Once we start
down the i18n road, we can also reuse the lead from the relevant
Wikipedia article in the language of choice of the user. If someone
goes to openplaques and are looking at 'Charles Darwin', the bit from
Wikipedia could be pulled from more languages than English.

Thoughts?

--
Tom Morris
<http://tommorris.org/>