New viz.: Wikipedias, participation per language

New viz.: Wikipedias, participation per language

Erik Zachte-3
Hi all,

I just published a new visualization: Wikipedias, compared by participation
per language (= active editors per million speakers)

There are several pages,

one for a global overview
https://stats.wikimedia.org/wikimedia/participation/d3_participation_global.html

one with breakdown by continent
https://stats.wikimedia.org/wikimedia/participation/d3_participation_continent.html

You can also zoom in on one continent, by clicking on it

Any feedback is welcome.

Erik Zachte

Re: New viz.: Wikipedias, participation per language

Shani Evenstein
Thank you! You rock.

Shani.

On Mon, 10 Sep 2018 23:04 Erik Zachte, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I just published a new visualization: Wikipedias, compared by participation
> per language (= active editors per million speakers)
>
> There are several pages,
>
> one for a global overview
>
> https://stats.wikimedia.org/wikimedia/participation/d3_participation_global.html
>
> one with breakdown by continent
>
> https://stats.wikimedia.org/wikimedia/participation/d3_participation_continent.html
>
> You can also zoom in on one continent, by clicking on it
>
> Any feedback is welcome.
>
> Erik Zachte

Re: New viz.: Wikipedias, participation per language

metasj
How wonderful.   Thank you !  Maybe some of this could show up in a tiny
sidebar on hatnote, too.

On Mon, Sep 10, 2018 at 4:04 PM Erik Zachte <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I just published a new visualization: Wikipedias, compared by participation
> per language (= active editors per million speakers)
>
> There are several pages,
>
> one for a global overview
>
> https://stats.wikimedia.org/wikimedia/participation/d3_participation_global.html
>
> one with breakdown by continent
>
> https://stats.wikimedia.org/wikimedia/participation/d3_participation_continent.html
>
> You can also zoom in on one continent, by clicking on it
>
> Any feedback is welcome.
>
> Erik Zachte

Re: New viz.: Wikipedias, participation per language

metasj
Do we have data on "# of speakers of language X who don't speak a
better-covered lang as a secondary language"?

On Mon, Sep 10, 2018 at 4:21 PM Samuel Klein <[hidden email]> wrote:

> How wonderful.   Thank you !  Maybe some of this could show up in a tiny
> sidebar on hatnote, too.
>
> On Mon, Sep 10, 2018 at 4:04 PM Erik Zachte <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I just published a new visualization: Wikipedias, compared by
>> participation
>> per language (= active editors per million speakers)
>>
>> There are several pages,
>>
>> one for a global overview
>>
>> https://stats.wikimedia.org/wikimedia/participation/d3_participation_global.html
>>
>> one with breakdown by continent
>>
>> https://stats.wikimedia.org/wikimedia/participation/d3_participation_continent.html
>>
>> You can also zoom in on one continent, by clicking on it
>>
>> Any feedback is welcome.
>>
>> Erik Zachte

> Samuel Klein          @metasj           w:user:sj          +1 617 529 4266

Re: New viz.: Wikipedias, participation per language

Federico Leva (Nemo)
Always nice to see language data presented in an appealing way!

Samuel Klein, 10/09/2018 23:27:
> Do we have data on "# of speakers of language X who don't speak a
> better-covered lang as a secondary language"?

I usually have a very hard time finding such data from official/reliable
sources, even for EU languages. (I usually search for CLDR purposes.)

Federico

Re: New viz.: Wikipedias, participation per language

Kerry Raymond
From my knowledge of the Australian census and what I can find on the Australian Bureau of Statistics website, we don't have this information about Australians either. It seems we don't know what other languages people can speak. The only statistic available is *households* which speak a language other than English, which greatly under-estimates the ability of any individual to speak that language as it depends on who they are living with and fails to tell us how well that other language is spoken by any individual.

This issue came up for Australian Wikipedians in connection with Indigenous languages. Despite the fact that we get asked to provide information on Wikipedia on the number of people who speak either any Indigenous language or a particular Indigenous language, we have no ability to answer that question except for whole households. And since (depending on how you define "language") there were 250+ Indigenous languages (with even more sub-dialects), even a household entirely composed of Indigenous people may not have a common Indigenous language to speak at home.

Kerry

Always nice to see language data presented in an appealing way!

Samuel Klein, 10/09/2018 23:27:
> Do we have data on "# of speakers of language X who don't speak a
> better-covered lang as a secondary language"?

I usually have a very hard time finding such data from official/reliable sources, even for EU languages. (I usually search for CLDR purposes.)

Federico

Re: New viz.: Wikipedias, participation per language

Mardetanha-2
from what I see it seems Hebrew has best ratio 107 active editor with 8.2 m
speaker, indeed well done.

Mardetanha