New wiki tool + demo + online experiment

New wiki tool + demo + online experiment

Markus Krötzsch
Dear all,

we have a reasonably cool new MediaWiki enhancement, a demo site, and an
actual online experiment where you can try it. We would like to ask you to
give it a try (no setup or commitments, just clicking around online :-)

In a nutshell, we have built various "intelligent" tools that read a wiki and
try to make sense of it. The tools then come up with facts that they think
are stated in the wiki, and they ask users whether or not these facts are
correct (this is where you come in). We did this on a Wikipedia copy:

http://test.ontoworld.org/

You can find questions at the bottom of each page (in a real wiki one could
restrict them to certain pages). It's like a quiz ;-), and it should be
possible to find the right answers on the related wiki pages. You can
answer "don't know" if you are not sure, or you can just leave some answers
blank. When you answer yes, the confirmed fact will be added to the wiki (we
use Semantic MediaWiki to represent facts). You can see this as a
contribution of your user-login/IP (feel free to get a user account if you
want to track your contributions). The tool will also use your answers to
learn how to better interpret the wiki in the future. So please have a look
and answer a couple of questions.

Do not be dismayed if some suggestions of the tool are nonesense. They are in
random order, and many of them are actually quite good. We will publish
details about how good the tool performed overall, so please give proper
answers ;-) Let us (i.e. Sebastian and me, see header) know if you have any
comments/questions.

Thanks a lot!

Markus

P.S. We will publish all of the associated software soon, but we still need
some testing first. Your contribution is very helpful to us! The
question-extension for MediaWiki will be fairly modular, and could also be
used to ask completely different questions to users, or in combination with
other tools for improving the wiki. Such tools use a web interface, can run
on a different server, and may use arbitrary programming languages.

--
Markus Krötzsch
Institut AIFB, Universät Karlsruhe (TH), 76128 Karlsruhe

Re: New wiki tool + demo + online experiment

Rob Church
On 18/10/2007, Markus Krötzsch <[hidden email]> wrote:
> we have a reasonably cool new MediaWiki enhancement, a demo site, and an
> actual online experiment where you can try it. We would like to ask you to
> give it a try (no setup or commitments, just clicking around online :-)

Based on five minutes' clicking around, my opinion is that this is
Very Fucking Cool, and you may quote me on that.

Rob Church

Re: New wiki tool + demo + online experiment

Shah, Nikhil
Markus this is really cool!

I am wondering if this tool can be used as a trivia game. Where the assumption is the answer provided in the wiki is correct and players are tested against that answer. So a bit like turning the tool around as not to validate the wiki but to quiz the user.

I am thinking, many wikis are in-house documentation tools or as educational tools (kind of textbooks) and some users are expected to go through and learn it. This kind of tool may help these individuals to evaluate their understanding.

Nikhil

Re: New wiki tool + demo + online experiment

Ralph Hulslander
Well I do not get it.

While the functioning definitely is interesting (I have very
little wiki knowledge so interesting means a lot to me).

I do not understand the relevancy of the questions.
Is this a "quiz" why should I spend my time answering questions
about a subject of no interest to me?

Now what "I" think would be cool would be questions relative to
the content of the page this could be a reading comprehension
quiz and that I could find cool.

How did you see the tool validating the wiki? This could be a web
page as well as a wiki page, that I can see. I have been looking
at the SMW discussions and would hope to eventually implement
some facet of it on my wiki so I certainly would like to
understand this.

Ralph

On 19/10/2007, Ralph Hulslander <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Well I do not get it.
>
> While the functioning definitely is interesting (I have very
> little wiki knowledge so interesting means a lot to me).
>
> I do not understand the relevancy of the questions.
> Is this a "quiz" why should I spend my time answering questions
> about a subject of no interest to me?

As I understand it, a broad application might be importing a Wikipedia
dump into the site and using user feedback to help automated
populating the semantic data store. The questions are thus the
extraction tool asking for some human verification as to whether it's
ascertained the correct relationship between two entities, e.g. "is X
a place in Y?". This is far more effective, and less boring, than
asking new visitors to populate a structured set, which while not too
hard, is a higher learning curve than editing a free-form text page.

Obviously, this would be of no interest to people helping to develop
the semantic interpretation of data, or anyone not interested in the
mission of that particular project, e.g. Wikipedia, where the mission
is to create a free encyclopaedia.

Rob Church

On Freitag, 19. Oktober 2007, Rob Church wrote:

> On 19/10/2007, Ralph Hulslander <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Well I do not get it.
> >
> > While the functioning definitely is interesting (I have very
> > little wiki knowledge so interesting means a lot to me).
> >
> > I do not understand the relevancy of the questions.
> > Is this a "quiz" why should I spend my time answering questions
> > about a subject of no interest to me?
>
> As I understand it, a broad application might be importing a Wikipedia
> dump into the site and using user feedback to help automated
> populating the semantic data store. The questions are thus the
> extraction tool asking for some human verification as to whether it's
> ascertained the correct relationship between two entities, e.g. "is X
> a place in Y?". This is far more effective, and less boring, than
> asking new visitors to populate a structured set, which while not too
> hard, is a higher learning curve than editing a free-form text page.
>
> Obviously, this would be of no interest to people helping to develop
> the semantic interpretation of data, or anyone not interested in the
> mission of that particular project, e.g. Wikipedia, where the mission
> is to create a free encyclopaedia.
Yes, that were exactly our ideas :-) Of course one could also use the
extension in other ways, e.g. to verify some other robot input that is not so
certain, or even to do something completely different. We first need to make
it more stable and then we will leave this to the creativity of all of
you ...

Ralph also suggested "questions relative to the content of the page". Indeed
we have foreseen ways of displaying questions only on pages that they relate
to. But since our test wiki has 1.5million pages but only a couple of
thousands of questions, this would make it rather unlikely for you to ever
find a question ;-) If questions on pages are altogether undesired, and one
could even show questions only on the special page, so that just interested
users ever see them.

Markus

--
Markus Krötzsch
Institut AIFB, Universät Karlsruhe (TH), 76128 Karlsruhe
phone +49 (0)721 608 7362        fax +49 (0)721 608 5998
[hidden email]        www  http://korrekt.org

Re: New wiki tool + demo + online experiment

Judson Dunn-2
On 10/18/07, Markus Krötzsch <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> we have a reasonably cool new MediaWiki enhancement, a demo site, and an
> actual online experiment where you can try it. We would like to ask you to
> give it a try (no setup or commitments, just clicking around online :-)

Very cool! Definitely should limit to the page you're on when that
makes sense with the question/article ratio of course.

Very neat though!

Judson
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Cohesion

Re: New wiki tool + demo + online experiment

Platonides
I was going to complain about how i was supposed to know if A is in B
when both A and B are red links, but now i changed my mind:

The characters outside ascii have the wrong encoding, so when asked
about Ciudad_Juárez (Ciudad_Ju%C3%A1rez) it is named, and the link
points to Ciudad Ju??rez (Ciudad_Ju%3F%3Frez)
As á is %E1 i have no idea about how you got that wrong encoding, which
should have been managed by mediawiki. :S