Newbee Question

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Newbee Question

Steve Stevenson
From: Steve Stevenson <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]
Cc:
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 10:51:27 -0500
Subject: Newbee question
After all the installation minefields in apache2 and mysql
installation have been traversed, I cannot get mysql and mediawiki to
connect. It's on localhost, the database is wickedproblems, the prefix
is mct, the user is root, and password is what it is. I can get into
my sql just fine, but the configuration script says it can't find
anything. It's gotta be simple. help?

--
D. E. (Steve) Stevenson, Associate Professor

_______________________________________________
MediaWiki-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Newbee Question

Benjamin Lees
On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 12:09 PM, Steve Stevenson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> It's on localhost, the database is wickedproblems, the prefix
> is mct, the user is root, and password is what it is. I can get into
> my sql just fine, but the configuration script says it can't find
> anything. It's gotta be simple. help?

What does "can't find anything" mean?

_______________________________________________
MediaWiki-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Newbee Question

Steve Stevenson
The third initial configuration slide asks for host (localhost), database
name (wickedproblems), prefix (mct), username (root), password (****)

Next page says

"DB connection error: No such file or directory (localhost).

Check the host, username and password and try again.

But mysql has that db and user.

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 4:36 PM, Benjamin Lees <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 12:09 PM, Steve Stevenson <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > It's on localhost, the database is wickedproblems, the prefix
> > is mct, the user is root, and password is what it is. I can get into
> > my sql just fine, but the configuration script says it can't find
> > anything. It's gotta be simple. help?
>
> What does "can't find anything" mean?
>
> _______________________________________________
> MediaWiki-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l
>



--
D. E. (Steve) Stevenson
Director, Institute for Modeling and Simulation Applications.
Clemson University
steve at clemson dot edu
_______________________________________________
MediaWiki-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Newbee Question

nakohdo
> The third initial configuration slide asks for host (localhost), database
> name (wickedproblems), prefix (mct), username (root), password (****)

> Next page says
> "DB connection error: No such file or directory (localhost).
> Check the host, username and password and try again.

> But mysql has that db and user.
Have you checked the user's rights? The database user has to be able to write to the database.

hth
Frank


_______________________________________________
MediaWiki-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Newbee Question

Tom Hutchison
> The database user has to be able to write to the database.

Either that or are you sure your db is localhost?  Shared hosting sometimes has a separate server dedicated to just db's.

Tom
_______________________________________________
MediaWiki-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Newbee Question

Chad
In reply to this post by Steve Stevenson
On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 10:46 AM, Steve Stevenson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The third initial configuration slide asks for host (localhost), database
> name (wickedproblems), prefix (mct), username (root), password (****)
>
> Next page says
>
> "DB connection error: No such file or directory (localhost).
>

Try 127.0.0.1 instead of localhost?

-Chad

_______________________________________________
MediaWiki-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l