Newbie question: how to use a config variable in javascript

Newbie question: how to use a config variable in javascript

Krabina Bernhard
Hi,

I'm hacking my way around these days and I have a newbie question:

If a variable is set in an extension (e.g.
$GLOBALS['$egMapsTest'] = 'http://{s}.tile.osm.org/{z}/{x}/{y}.png';

How can I access this variable in a JavaScript?

The only hint I found so far is
var Test2 = mw.config.get('egMapsTest');

but this doesn't work...

I have the feeling that mw.config.get onyl works for mw variables (wg...), but how can I access eg-Variables that are set by an extension?

cheers,
Bernhard

Re: Newbie question: how to use a config variable in javascript

Frank Baxmann
Hi Bernhard,

JavaScript (on browser) can not access php variables (on server).
You have to make them available to JS by sending them to the browser.
I use additional JS for this, but there is somewhere in MW a class for
adding variables with MW. And these you can then catch in JS with
mw.config.get.

Greetings
Frank

On 02.07.2015 13:07, Krabina Bernhard wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm hacking my way around these days and I have a newbie question:
>
> If a variable is set in an extension (e.g.
> $GLOBALS['$egMapsTest'] = 'http://{s}.tile.osm.org/{z}/{x}/{y}.png';
>
> How can I access this variable in a JavaScript?
>
> The only hint I found so far is
> var Test2 = mw.config.get('egMapsTest');
>
> but this doesn't work...
>
> I have the feeling that mw.config.get onyl works for mw variables (wg...), but how can I access eg-Variables that are set by an extension?
>
> cheers,
> Bernhard

Re: Newbie question: how to use a config variable in javascript

James Montalvo

You need to tell MW to expose the PHP variables in JS, which you do by adding a ResourceLoaderGetConfigVars hook.

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Hooks/ResourceLoaderGetConfigVars

On Jul 2, 2015 6:21 AM, "Frank Baxmann" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Bernhard,

JavaScript (on browser) can not access php variables (on server).
You have to make them available to JS by sending them to the browser.
I use additional JS for this, but there is somewhere in MW a class for
adding variables with MW. And these you can then catch in JS with
mw.config.get.

Greetings
Frank

On 02.07.2015 13:07, Krabina Bernhard wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm hacking my way around these days and I have a newbie question:
>
> If a variable is set in an extension (e.g.
> $GLOBALS['$egMapsTest'] = 'http://{s}.<a href="http://tile.osm.org/{z}/{x}/{y}.png" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">tile.osm.org/{z}/{x}/{y}.png';
>
> How can I access this variable in a JavaScript?
>
> The only hint I found so far is
> var Test2 = mw.config.get('egMapsTest');
>
> but this doesn't work...
>
> I have the feeling that mw.config.get onyl works for mw variables (wg...), but how can I access eg-Variables that are set by an extension?
>
> cheers,
> Bernhard

Re: Newbie question: how to use a config variable in javascript

Krabina Bernhard

Sorry, but I can't sort this out.

What I want to achieve can be seen here:
https://github.com/krabina/Maps/blob/master/includes/services/Leaflet/jquery.leaflet.js#L133-136
I want to be able to configure whicht service should be called.

In https://github.com/krabina/Maps/blob/master/Maps_Settings.php
I added:

$GLOBALS['$egMapsTest'] = array (
'Test1' => "http://{s}.tile.osm.org/{z}/{x}/{y}.png",
'Test2' => 'http://{s}.tile.osm.org/{z}/{x}/{y}.png',
);

If I just add the variable here:
https://github.com/krabina/Maps/blob/master/Maps.hooks.php#L76
it does not work.

MWJames pointed me to do something like

public static function onResourceLoaderGetConfigVars( &$vars ) {
        global $egMapsTestTest;

        $vars['egMapsTestTest'] = array(
            'Test1' => $GLOBALS['egMapsTest']
        );

        return true;
    }

But where and how to "attach the hook", whatever that means.
$wgHooks['ResourceLoaderGetConfigVars'][] = 'MyExtensionHooks::onResourceLoaderGetConfigVars';
probably here, but I don't understand how:
https://github.com/krabina/Maps/blob/master/includes/services/Leaflet/Leaflet.php

cheers,
Bernhard

----- Am 2. Jul 2015 um 13:45 schrieb James Montalvo <[hidden email]>:
You need to tell MW to expose the PHP variables in JS, which you do by adding a
 ResourceLoaderGetConfigVars hook.

 https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Hooks/ResourceLoaderGetConfigVars
 On Jul 2, 2015 6:21 AM, "Frank Baxmann" < [hidden email] > wrote:

Hi Bernhard,

 JavaScript (on browser) can not access php variables (on server).
 You have to make them available to JS by sending them to the browser.
 I use additional JS for this, but there is somewhere in MW a class for
 adding variables with MW. And these you can then catch in JS with
 mw.config.get.

 Greetings
 Frank

 On 02.07.2015 13:07, Krabina Bernhard wrote:
 > Hi,

 > I'm hacking my way around these days and I have a newbie question:

 > If a variable is set in an extension (e.g.
 > $GLOBALS['$egMapsTest'] = 'http://{s}. tile.osm.org/{z}/{x}/{y}.png ';

 > How can I access this variable in a JavaScript?

 > The only hint I found so far is
 > var Test2 = mw.config.get('egMapsTest');

 > but this doesn't work...

I have the feeling that mw.config.get onyl works for mw variables (wg...), but

 > how can I access eg-Variables that are set by an extension?

 > cheers,
 > Bernhard

Re: Newbie question: how to use a config variable in javascript

James Montalvo
I believe what you want is for this line:

to instead say:

$GLOBALS['wgHooks']['ResourceLoaderGetConfigVars'][] = 'MapsHooks::onMakeGlobalVariablesScript';

On Thu, Jul 2, 2015 at 7:33 AM, Krabina Bernhard <[hidden email]> wrote:

Sorry, but I can't sort this out.

What I want to achieve can be seen here:
https://github.com/krabina/Maps/blob/master/includes/services/Leaflet/jquery.leaflet.js#L133-136
I want to be able to configure whicht service should be called.

In https://github.com/krabina/Maps/blob/master/Maps_Settings.php
I added:

$GLOBALS['$egMapsTest'] = array (
'Test1' => "http://{s}.tile.osm.org/{z}/{x}/{y}.png",
'Test2' => 'http://{s}.tile.osm.org/{z}/{x}/{y}.png',
);

If I just add the variable here:
https://github.com/krabina/Maps/blob/master/Maps.hooks.php#L76
it does not work.

MWJames pointed me to do something like

public static function onResourceLoaderGetConfigVars( &$vars ) {
        global $egMapsTestTest;

        $vars['egMapsTestTest'] = array(
            'Test1' => $GLOBALS['egMapsTest']
        );

        return true;
    }

But where and how to "attach the hook", whatever that means.
$wgHooks['ResourceLoaderGetConfigVars'][] = 'MyExtensionHooks::onResourceLoaderGetConfigVars';
probably here, but I don't understand how:

cheers,
Bernhard

----- Am 2. Jul 2015 um 13:45 schrieb James Montalvo <[hidden email]>:
You need to tell MW to expose the PHP variables in JS, which you do by adding a
 ResourceLoaderGetConfigVars hook.

 https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Hooks/ResourceLoaderGetConfigVars
 On Jul 2, 2015 6:21 AM, "Frank Baxmann" < [hidden email] > wrote:

Hi Bernhard,

 JavaScript (on browser) can not access php variables (on server).
 You have to make them available to JS by sending them to the browser.
 I use additional JS for this, but there is somewhere in MW a class for
 adding variables with MW. And these you can then catch in JS with
 mw.config.get.

 Greetings
 Frank

 On 02.07.2015 13:07, Krabina Bernhard wrote:
 > Hi,

 > I'm hacking my way around these days and I have a newbie question:

 > If a variable is set in an extension (e.g.
 > $GLOBALS['$egMapsTest'] = 'http://{s}. tile.osm.org/{z}/{x}/{y}.png ';

 > How can I access this variable in a JavaScript?

 > The only hint I found so far is
 > var Test2 = mw.config.get('egMapsTest');

 > but this doesn't work...

I have the feeling that mw.config.get onyl works for mw variables (wg...), but

 > how can I access eg-Variables that are set by an extension?

 > cheers,
 > Bernhard

Re: Newbie question: how to use a config variable in javascript

Krabina Bernhard
repacing the line breaks somehting else.

So I added both
    $GLOBALS['wgHooks']['MakeGlobalVariablesScript'][] = 'MapsHooks::onMakeGlobalVariablesScript';
    $GLOBALS['wgHooks']['ResourceLoaderGetConfigVars'][] = 'MapsHooks::onResourceLoaderGetConfigVars';

which doesn't seem to break anything.

but still no luck. can anybody point me to a simple and working example?

cheers,
Bernhard

----- Am 2. Jul 2015 um 14:41 schrieb James Montalvo <[hidden email]>:
> [...]

 adding variables with MW. And these you can then catch in JS with
 mw.config.get.

 Greetings
 Frank

 On 02.07.2015 13:07, Krabina Bernhard wrote:
 > Hi,

 > I'm hacking my way around these days and I have a newbie question:

 > If a variable is set in an extension (e.g.
 > $GLOBALS['$egMapsTest'] = 'http://{s}. tile.osm.org/{z}/{x}/{y}.png ';

 > How can I access this variable in a JavaScript?

 > The only hint I found so far is
 > var Test2 = mw.config.get('egMapsTest');

 > but this doesn't work...

I have the feeling that mw.config.get onyl works for mw variables (wg...), but

 > how can I access eg-Variables that are set by an extension?

 > cheers,
 > Bernhard

Re: Newbie question: how to use a config variable in javascript

now you should be able to get the variables in JS with mw.config.get...

On 02.07.2015 15:25, Krabina Bernhard wrote:
[...]

'Test1' => "<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://">http://{s}.tile.osm.org/{z}/{x}/{y}.png",
'Test2' => '<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://">http://{s}.tile.osm.org/{z}/{x}/{y}.png',
);