Newcomer

Luna-4
Hey, there.

Just signed up for this particular mailing list, checking for signs of life. Are people still about? Are people still interested in this? What needs to happen to make things happen?

-Luna
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Luna_Santin

Re: Newcomer

Michael Bimmler
On 6/28/07, Luna <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hey, there.
>
> Just signed up for this particular mailing list, checking for signs of life.
> Are people still about? Are people still interested in this? What needs to
> happen to make things happen?

I'm only watching from overseas (CH), but according to the archives,
this list hasn't been active since last August. Maybe a good time to
revive it...

Michael
> -Luna
>  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Luna_Santin

Re: Newcomer

Tim McCormack
Michael Bimmler wrote:
> I'm only watching from overseas (CH), but according to the archives,
> this list hasn't been active since last August. Maybe a good time to
> revive it...
It's been pretty quiet. The list had its inception in a 2005 DC
Wikipedia Meetup, but activity diminished over time. The original intent
was to discuss a U.S.A. Wikimedia chapter.

If you want to revive or repurpose the list, start talkin'!

 - Tim McCormack
List admin

Re: Newcomer

Robert S. Horning
Tim McCormack wrote:

> Michael Bimmler wrote:
>
>> I'm only watching from overseas (CH), but according to the archives,
>> this list hasn't been active since last August. Maybe a good time to
>> revive it...
>>
> It's been pretty quiet. The list had its inception in a 2005 DC
> Wikipedia Meetup, but activity diminished over time. The original intent
> was to discuss a U.S.A. Wikimedia chapter.
>
> If you want to revive or repurpose the list, start talkin'!
>
>  - Tim McCormack
> List admin

I'm seriously interested in getting something going in the Western
USA.... particularly in Utah.  I even have a meeting room I can reserve
in my hometown public library I was going to try and see if I could get
some support from even one other Wikimedian to get a meet-up and help
get something going in terms of a chapter in my part of the country.
BTW, I live right near the Idaho/Utah state line, if you are trying to
figure out where I'm at.

But as an FYI, there is some interest in a group based out of
Philadelphia, and they have been trying to write up a formal charter
named Wikimedia Pennsylvania:

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Pennsylvania

This is not an "announcement", but something still being planned, but
any participants are welcome.  A formal proposal and announcement is
supposedly coming soon.

So yes, there is some activity, but not necessarily on this list.  I
don't know if a national chapter is necesarily something we should
consider, since it is such a tough nut to crack in terms of trying to
get something organized on a national scale, but state-wide chapters may
be something worth trying to go after like the PA one is likely going to
have happen.

-- Robert Horning

Re: Newcomer

gburling
On Thu, 28 Jun 2007, Robert Horning wrote:

> I'm seriously interested in getting something going in the Western
> USA.... particularly in Utah.  I even have a meeting room I can reserve
> in my hometown public library I was going to try and see if I could get
> some support from even one other Wikimedian to get a meet-up and help
> get something going in terms of a chapter in my part of the country.
> BTW, I live right near the Idaho/Utah state line, if you are trying to
> figure out where I'm at.
>
> But as an FYI, there is some interest in a group based out of
> Philadelphia, and they have been trying to write up a formal charter
> named Wikimedia Pennsylvania:
>
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Pennsylvania
>
> This is not an "announcement", but something still being planned, but
> any participants are welcome.  A formal proposal and announcement is
> supposedly coming soon.
>
> So yes, there is some activity, but not necessarily on this list.  I
> don't know if a national chapter is necesarily something we should
> consider, since it is such a tough nut to crack in terms of trying to
> get something organized on a national scale, but state-wide chapters may
> be something worth trying to go after like the PA one is likely going to
> have happen.

I'm surprised by that development, because I've been looking for some sign
of organizing activity in the US. I heard that NewYorkBrad has been attempting
to have monthly get-togethers in the New York area, that is invite a bunch
of Wikipedians to visit a museum or other cultural event together, but the
folks in Philadelphia have managed to stay beneath the radar until now.

I see the principal barrier to forming any US Wikipedia chapter is geography;
we are just too thin on the ground to organize, a national unit, & perhaps
too few in any one area to feed off of each other's energy. But I would
very much like to be proven wrong about this.

Geoff
(en:llywrch)