Newest admin abuse on Wikipedia: Voter intimidation

Newest admin abuse on Wikipedia: Voter intimidation

Joshua Griisser
It's common for the anti-userbox crowd to say stuff like
"stop stressing out over it, it's just userboxes, not
real encyclopedia content". Well, the reason that I don't
follow that line of thinking is that it never stops at
just one abuse. It keeps building and building. We
currently have about half a dozen admins who show
repeated and blatant defiance for Wikipedia's community
and the consensus of that community. They are not large
in number, but they have a disproportionate amount of
influence, almost entirely malign. They are a living
argument for why we need a working desysopping process.

Our project's most destructive administrator, Kelly
Martin, has now stepped into the realm of voter
intimidation, by *blocking* [[User:Grue]] for a support
vote on [[User:Djr xi]]'s Request for Adminship. The
excuse was "personal attacks", even though the vote in
question did not mention anyone by name. This is a
blatant attempt to intimidate voters on this request
for adminship.

Kelly Martin has done far more to harm Wikipedia than
Willy on Wheels ever could. By firing the first shot
in the userbox wars, she is basically the Gavrilo
Princip of Wikipedia. Frankly, even if you gave
Willy sysop powers, I doubt that he could do more
damage than our worst sysops are doing right now. These
people are like hyperactive children given a machine
gun and it is time to take their toys away before more
people get hurt.

I'm more disgusted by all of this than I can possibly
express.

Re: Newest admin abuse on Wikipedia: Voter intimidation

STEFAN CLAUDIU TIULEA
I believe that Jimbo told Kelly to do whatever she
wants to stop the spreading of userboxes. I don't
think Kelly would take on so much authority on herself
and block everyone to the right and to the left for
almost nothing. She also said that users break the
consensus on not using userboxes. What consensus? I
saw more people voting against her because of how she
handled the userbox conflict, than against the
userboxes themselves. And while everyone bumps their
head against each other, the emperor admires his new
clothes.

Lastly, I will say that Kelly seems like a cold person
who never tries to communicate with others on their
level, or on any level. She likes to keep a distance
between herself and others. If such is the case, why
then take on a dead that requires you to make a good
effort to communicate? No-one likes an "Ice Queen".

--- Joshua Griisser <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It's common for the anti-userbox crowd to say stuff
> like
> "stop stressing out over it, it's just userboxes,
> not
> real encyclopedia content". Well, the reason that I
> don't
> follow that line of thinking is that it never stops
> at
> just one abuse. It keeps building and building. We
> currently have about half a dozen admins who show
> repeated and blatant defiance for Wikipedia's
> community
> and the consensus of that community. They are not
> large
> in number, but they have a disproportionate amount
> of
> influence, almost entirely malign. They are a living
> argument for why we need a working desysopping
> process.
>
> Our project's most destructive administrator, Kelly
> Martin, has now stepped into the realm of voter
> intimidation, by *blocking* [[User:Grue]] for a
> support
> vote on [[User:Djr xi]]'s Request for Adminship. The
> excuse was "personal attacks", even though the vote
> in
> question did not mention anyone by name. This is a
> blatant attempt to intimidate voters on this request
> for adminship.
>
> Kelly Martin has done far more to harm Wikipedia
> than
> Willy on Wheels ever could. By firing the first shot
> in the userbox wars, she is basically the Gavrilo
> Princip of Wikipedia. Frankly, even if you gave
> Willy sysop powers, I doubt that he could do more
> damage than our worst sysops are doing right now.
> These
> people are like hyperactive children given a machine
> gun and it is time to take their toys away before
> more
> people get hurt.
>
> I'm more disgusted by all of this than I can
> possibly
> express.

Re: Newest admin abuse on Wikipedia: Voter intimidation

Stan Shebs
Joshua Griisser wrote:

>I'm more disgusted by all of this than I can possibly
>express.

Yawn, I've become more bored by all this than I can possibly
express.

I'd be interested in the opinions of someone who's written 100
featured articles, however.

Stan

Re: Newest admin abuse on Wikipedia: Voter intimidation

Jimmy Wales
STEFAN CLAUDIU TIULEA wrote:
> I believe that Jimbo told Kelly to do whatever she
> wants to stop the spreading of userboxes.

No, that isn't true at all.

Re: Newest admin abuse on Wikipedia: Voter intimidation

Mark Gallagher-5

G'day Josh,

> Our project's most destructive administrator, Kelly
> Martin, has now stepped into the realm of voter
> intimidation, by *blocking* [[User:Grue]] for a support
> vote on [[User:Djr xi]]'s Request for Adminship. The
> excuse was "personal attacks", even though the vote in
> question did not mention anyone by name. This is a
> blatant attempt to intimidate voters on this request
> for adminship.

Bullshit.  He wasn't blocked for "a support vote" at all, and that's an
incredibly stupid thing to say.  For shame.

I personally don't believe the block was warranted (there's a thread on
AN/I about it, I'm sure you haven't forgotten how to find it), and I'm
pleased to see it was overturned almost immediately.  However, Grue's
comment was unfair and incivil and rather insulting, and Kelly's block
was made in good faith.

<snip hyperbole />

> I'm more disgusted by all of this than I can possibly
> express.

The other day you were speechless with rage; now you're unable to
enunciate your true level of disgust.  I think us rogue admins ought to
take up a collection to buy you a thesaurus and dictionary; it may help
you on such difficult issues as how to express yourself in print.

--
Mark Gallagher
"What?  I can't hear you, I've got a banana on my head!"

Re: Newest admin abuse on Wikipedia: Voter intimidation

Philip Welch
On Feb 23, 2006, at 6:46 PM, Mark Gallagher wrote:

>> Our project's most destructive administrator, Kelly
>> Martin, has now stepped into the realm of voter
>> intimidation, by *blocking* [[User:Grue]] for a support
>> vote on [[User:Djr xi]]'s Request for Adminship. The
>> excuse was "personal attacks", even though the vote in
>> question did not mention anyone by name. This is a
>> blatant attempt to intimidate voters on this request
>> for adminship.
>
> Bullshit.  He wasn't blocked for "a support vote" at all, and
> that's an
> incredibly stupid thing to say.  For shame.
>
> I personally don't believe the block was warranted (there's a
> thread on
> AN/I about it, I'm sure you haven't forgotten how to find it), and I'm
> pleased to see it was overturned almost immediately.  However, Grue's
> comment was unfair and incivil and rather insulting, and Kelly's block
> was made in good faith.
>
> <snip hyperbole />
>
>> I'm more disgusted by all of this than I can possibly
>> express.
>
> The other day you were speechless with rage; now you're unable to
> enunciate your true level of disgust.  I think us rogue admins
> ought to
> take up a collection to buy you a thesaurus and dictionary; it may
> help
> you on such difficult issues as how to express yourself in print.

This has to be the single most civil and productive message I have
ever read on any listserv. Mark, I must applaud you for being the
bigger man and addressing these concerns calmly instead of lashing
out at the person.

--
Philip L. Welch
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Philwelch

Re: Newest admin abuse on Wikipedia: Voter intimidation

Ilya N.
I love these messages.

Wait wait no...I think I can do better

Jimbo is the project's most destructive admin. Look at all the stuff he's
done! He created the whole damn encyclopedia; this whole ordeal must be his
fault.

On 2/23/06, Philip Welch <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Feb 23, 2006, at 6:46 PM, Mark Gallagher wrote:
>
> >> Our project's most destructive administrator, Kelly
> >> Martin, has now stepped into the realm of voter
> >> intimidation, by *blocking* [[User:Grue]] for a support
> >> vote on [[User:Djr xi]]'s Request for Adminship. The
> >> excuse was "personal attacks", even though the vote in
> >> question did not mention anyone by name. This is a
> >> blatant attempt to intimidate voters on this request
> >> for adminship.
> >
> > Bullshit.  He wasn't blocked for "a support vote" at all, and
> > that's an
> > incredibly stupid thing to say.  For shame.
> >
> > I personally don't believe the block was warranted (there's a
> > thread on
> > AN/I about it, I'm sure you haven't forgotten how to find it), and I'm
> > pleased to see it was overturned almost immediately.  However, Grue's
> > comment was unfair and incivil and rather insulting, and Kelly's block
> > was made in good faith.
> >
> > <snip hyperbole />
> >
> >> I'm more disgusted by all of this than I can possibly
> >> express.
> >
> > The other day you were speechless with rage; now you're unable to
> > enunciate your true level of disgust.  I think us rogue admins
> > ought to
> > take up a collection to buy you a thesaurus and dictionary; it may
> > help
> > you on such difficult issues as how to express yourself in print.
>
> This has to be the single most civil and productive message I have
> ever read on any listserv. Mark, I must applaud you for being the
> bigger man and addressing these concerns calmly instead of lashing
> out at the person.
>
> --
> Philip L. Welch
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Philwelch

~Ilya N.
http://w3stuff.com/ilya/ (My website; DarkLordFoxx Media)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Ilyanep (on Wikipedia)
http://www.wheresgeorge.com - Track your money's travels.

Re: Newest admin abuse on Wikipedia: Voter intimidation

Alphax (Wikipedia email)
Mark Gallagher wrote:
<snip>
> I think us rogue admins
<snip>

The correct term is "rouge"... :)

Re: Newest admin abuse on Wikipedia: Voter intimidation

John Lee-5
Stan Shebs wrote:

>Joshua Griisser wrote:
>

>>I'm more disgusted by all of this than I can possibly
>>express.
>>

>Yawn, I've become more bored by all this than I can possibly
>express.
>
>I'd be interested in the opinions of someone who's written 100
>featured articles, however.
>
>Stan

In that case everyone should be listening to Lord Emsworth, me, or
Worldtraveller. (Nobody has a hundred FAs yet, but I'm quite confident
between the three of us you can scrape together more than a hundred FAs.) :p

John

Re: Newest admin abuse on Wikipedia: Voter intimidation

The Cunctator
On 2/23/06, Ilya N. <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I love these messages.
>
> Wait wait no...I think I can do better
>
> Jimbo is the project's most destructive admin. Look at all the stuff he's
> done! He created the whole damn encyclopedia; this whole ordeal must be his
> fault.

Well, not to put too fine a point on it, but he hasn't really created
any of the encyclopedia. He's been letting other people do all the
work for him!

Re: Newest admin abuse on Wikipedia: Voter intimidation

Mark Gallagher-5

G'day Phil,

> On Feb 23, 2006, at 6:46 PM, Mark Gallagher wrote:
>> The other day you were speechless with rage; now you're unable to
>> enunciate your true level of disgust.  I think us rogue admins  ought to
>> take up a collection to buy you a thesaurus and dictionary; it may  help
>> you on such difficult issues as how to express yourself in print.
>
> This has to be the single most civil and productive message I have  ever
> read on any listserv. Mark, I must applaud you for being the  bigger man
> and addressing these concerns calmly instead of lashing  out at the person.

You're right: I *was* out of line.  The mailing list (and IRC) tend to
be a bit less civil than Wikipedia, but even so, they ought to be more
civil than cheap shots like the one I've left quoted above.  Someone
whose opinion I value highly told me I must "still be in USENET mode",
or words to that effect, and s/he's probably right ... USENET is often a
battleground, but Wikipedia ought never to be, even on this list.

So, Crotalus: I am sorry.  It was a cheap shot, uncalled for, incivil,
and unfair.  I *would* like you to stop the "speechless" bizzo, but I
could've put it a lot better.

Now, lest anyone think I really *am* being the better man, I thought I'd
clarify a few things.  First up, I *did* answer Crotalus' points, with
rather rougher language than ought to have been used with ladies
present, but they *were* answered.  Secondly, Crotalus' post amounts to
an accusation that Kelly Martin, for whom I have a lot of respect (even
if she *does* need a holiday), was essentially attempting to rig an RfA
by blocking Grue.

So, and I'm sorry if this loses all the cred I'd built up in the first
two paragraphs, I should not have said what I did, and I owe Crotalus an
apology for that ... but I am not ashamed one whit of telling him that
he was being a silly sausage, and by gum, I'd do it again.  The post
that started this thread was outrageous.