News?

Sean Whitton (Xyrael)
I must admit I'm sceptical as to getting any kind of response to this,
or at least one from those who know the situation, but: what's the
current Wikimedia UK situation?

Taking a long time due to difficulties is one thing, not keeping
everyone in the loop is another :-)

Sean

Sean Whitton <[hidden email]>
http://seanwhitton.com/
GPG: 0x25F4EAB7

Re: News?

Al Tally
2008/6/17 Sean Whitton <[hidden email]>:
I must admit I'm sceptical as to getting any kind of response to this,
or at least one from those who know the situation, but: what's the
current Wikimedia UK situation?

Taking a long time due to difficulties is one thing, not keeping
everyone in the loop is another :-)

Sean

Sean Whitton <[hidden email]>
http://seanwhitton.com/
GPG: 0x25F4EAB7

We've literally just had a thread about this... the answer, no news.

--
Al Tally
(User:Majorly)

Re: News?

Katie Chan
On Tue, 2008-06-17 at 15:38 +0100, Al Tally wrote:

> We've literally just had a thread about this... the answer, no news.

That would be true if the response were there's "no news at the moment",
but there were absolutely no response.

KTC

  - Heinrich Heine

Re: News?

Sean Whitton (Xyrael)
2008/6/17 Kwan Ting Chan <[hidden email]>:
> On Tue, 2008-06-17 at 15:38 +0100, Al Tally wrote:
>
>> We've literally just had a thread about this... the answer, no news.
>>

> That would be true if the response were there's "no news at the moment",
> but there were absolutely no response.

Which is why I thought I might as well try again. SOmething to do!

Sean Whitton <[hidden email]>
http://seanwhitton.com/
GPG: 0x25F4EAB7

Re: News?

David Gerard-2
2008/6/17 Sean Whitton <[hidden email]>:

> Which is why I thought I might as well try again. SOmething to do!

I've pinged Alison and new treasurer Paul, who are pushing things
forward at present.

- d.

Re: Fwd: News?

Alison M. Wheeler
On Tue, June 17, 2008 16:21, David Gerard wrote:
> I can answer with "no news", but I believe the current situation is
> Paul is waiting for a detail from Alison. Paul or Alison, would either
> of you be able to answer this thread?

I've been waiting on a response from Paul for ages and because he should
be on this list then I was hoping he would reply (as I have asked him to
do on occasions in the past too). Although I read the original query (this
time around and older ones) as there isn't anything I could add and there
are other Board members (Secretary, Treasurer) who might know more I was
leaving it up to them in this instance.

Alison

ps. I'll be away in Iceland until Monday night; not sure if I'll be able
to get a connection during that time ...

Re: Fwd: News?

Thomas Dalton
On 17/06/2008, Alison Wheeler <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Tue, June 17, 2008 16:21, David Gerard wrote:
>  > I can answer with "no news", but I believe the current situation is
>  > Paul is waiting for a detail from Alison. Paul or Alison, would either
>  > of you be able to answer this thread?
>
>  I've been waiting on a response from Paul for ages

Well, stop waiting and chase him up. The chapter has been in existence
for over 2 years, and isn't even able to accept new members. That's
unacceptable. Plenty of people have offered to help - if you're not
able to do the job, stand down and let someone else do it. On that
note, could I get an answer to my question in the last of these
threads - when is the next AGM?

Re: Fwd: News?

Alison M. Wheeler
On Tue, June 17, 2008 21:56, Thomas Dalton wrote:
> Well, stop waiting and chase him up. The chapter has been in existence
> for over 2 years, and isn't even able to accept new members. That's
> unacceptable. Plenty of people have offered to help - if you're not
> able to do the job, stand down and let someone else do it.

1. I *have* chased him up, repeatedly.
2. The Board is waiting on the Treasurer; it isn't a direct responsibility
for the Chair or any other member in this case.
3. Paul was someone who 'offered to help' and has the requisite
appropriate skills.
4. All the people involved are unpaid volunteers, indeed we have been
subsidising the activities of WMUK from our own pockets to date.
5. Last year when nothing was happening I *did* tender my resignation as I
too was finding it unacceptable that we seemed to be getting nowhere on
the money side (the rest of the Board refused to accept it).

> On that
> note, could I get an answer to my question in the last of these
> threads - when is the next AGM?

The secretary will make an announcement in due course; in part it is being
delayed because of this ongoing banking issue.

Alison Wheeler
Chair, WMUK

Re: Fwd: News?

Thomas Dalton
2008/6/18 Alison Wheeler <[hidden email]>:
> On Tue, June 17, 2008 21:56, Thomas Dalton wrote:
>> Well, stop waiting and chase him up. The chapter has been in existence
>> for over 2 years, and isn't even able to accept new members. That's
>> unacceptable. Plenty of people have offered to help - if you're not
>> able to do the job, stand down and let someone else do it.
>
> 1. I *have* chased him up, repeatedly.

And...?

> 2. The Board is waiting on the Treasurer; it isn't a direct responsibility
> for the Chair or any other member in this case.

While sorting out the bank account is clearly the Treasurer's job,
making sure the Treasurer is doing their job is the job of the rest of
the board.

> 3. Paul was someone who 'offered to help' and has the requisite
> appropriate skills.

Which is all well and good, but it doesn't appear he is actually
helping so someone else needs to take over.

> 4. All the people involved are unpaid volunteers, indeed we have been
> subsidising the activities of WMUK from our own pockets to date.

I understand that, but if you volunteer to do something you have an
obligation to actually do it. If no-one else was offering to help, it
would be another matter, but knowing when to accept help from other
people is probably the most important skill for anyone in a leadership
position.

> 5. Last year when nothing was happening I *did* tender my resignation as I
> too was finding it unacceptable that we seemed to be getting nowhere on
> the money side (the rest of the Board refused to accept it).

Was any attempt made to find a replacement? If the board decided,
after due consideration, that there was no-one better, then that's one
thing, but just refusing to consider it seems unacceptable.

>> On that
>> note, could I get an answer to my question in the last of these
>> threads - when is the next AGM?
>
> The secretary will make an announcement in due course; in part it is being
> delayed because of this ongoing banking issue.

Is that due course as in pretty soon? Annual General Meetings should,
ideally, take place on an annual basis, and the last one was about
year ago.