Newsletter?

Hari Prasad Nadig-2
Shiju had mailed me requesting to contribute a little piece covering the activities surrounding Kannada on Wikipedia and related projects. I have stuff to refer here written by volunteers from Malayalam and Tamil Wikipedia.

However, I'm not clear about how this should be shaped. Is this going to be an official Wikimedia newsletter? (seeing that it is titled "Wikimedia India Newsletter"). Given that Wikimedia official newsletters are brought in a slightly different manner (http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_newsletter), can you share the ideas and objective behind the planned newsletter so that it brings more clarity to the contributors?

Also observed that the draft of the newsletter I've received is crashing though on evince viewer (on debian lenny). It could be useful if you could share details about the software used to create the PDF. Probably Inkscape pros from the community could help? :)

Also, is the newsletter being released in CC-by-SA?
--
Hari Prasad Nadig
http://hpnadig.net | http://twitter.com/hpnadig

Re: Newsletter?

Shiju Alex
However, I'm not clear about how this should be shaped. Is this going to be an official Wikimedia newsletter? (seeing that it is titled "Wikimedia India Newsletter"). Given that Wikimedia official newsletters are brought in a slightly different manner (http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_newsletter), can you share the ideas and objective behind the planned newsletter so that it brings more clarity to the contributors?

Sure. The aim is to share the community news of the various Indian Language Wiki communities. As you can see from the PDF that I shared with you, several languages already provided the community News. So requesting Kannada wiki community also to be part of this.

It is the community newsletter. So I think it is better to name it as WikiMedia India Community News Letter. I will change like that.

Once the chapter is formed, chapter can think about taking this forward from the next version of the News letter.

Also observed that the draft of the newsletter I've received is crashing though on evince viewer (on debian lenny). It could be useful if you could share details about the software used to create the PDF. Probably Inkscape pros from the community could help? :)

Typesetting is done using Open Office writer. It is still going on. I have enabled Commenting using Adobe Reader feature in the PDF that I sent to you. That might be the reason why it is crashed. I will send you a normal PDF soon.

Shiju Alex

On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 10:19 AM, Hari Prasad Nadig <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

guru brahma
Given that the name Wikimedia is copyrighted, I am not too sure if it can be used in the title. Probably someone with a better legal background can pitch in. Gautam? Anirudh?

Regards,
Srinivas.

On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 2:33 PM, Shiju Alex <[hidden email]> wrote:
However, I'm not clear about how this should be shaped. Is this going to be an official Wikimedia newsletter? (seeing that it is titled "Wikimedia India Newsletter"). Given that Wikimedia official newsletters are brought in a slightly different manner (http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_newsletter), can you share the ideas and objective behind the planned newsletter so that it brings more clarity to the contributors?

Sure. The aim is to share the community news of the various Indian Language Wiki communities. As you can see from the PDF that I shared with you, several languages already provided the community News. So requesting Kannada wiki community also to be part of this.

It is the community newsletter. So I think it is better to name it as WikiMedia India Community News Letter. I will change like that.

How about using the name "Wikizine India"? or even "Wikipedia India Community newsletter" seems better.

Once the chapter is formed, chapter can think about taking this forward from the next version of the News letter.

Also observed that the draft of the newsletter I've received is crashing though on evince viewer (on debian lenny). It could be useful if you could share details about the software used to create the PDF. Probably Inkscape pros from the community could help? :)

Typesetting is done using Open Office writer. It is still going on. I have enabled Commenting using Adobe Reader feature in the PDF that I sent to you. That might be the reason why it is crashed. I will send you a normal PDF soon.

May I suggest that we collaborate on the design and structure as well? Maybe put up the newsletter in SVG on some page so that others can contribute? It'd then be easier to invite other volunteers to contribute as well. Or even collaborating on Wiki for text, structure and then designing it a final round?
--
Hari Prasad Nadig
http://hpnadig.net | http://twitter.com/hpnadig
http://flickr.com/hpnadig

Re: Newsletter?

Delphine Ménard
On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 11:38 AM, Hari Prasad Nadig <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 2:33 PM, Shiju Alex <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>>
>>> However, I'm not clear about how this should be shaped. Is this going to
>>> be an official Wikimedia newsletter? (seeing that it is titled "Wikimedia
>>> India Newsletter"). Given that Wikimedia official newsletters are brought in
>>> a slightly different manner
>>> (http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_newsletter), can you share the
>>> ideas and objective behind the planned newsletter so that it brings more
>>> clarity to the contributors?
>>

>> Sure. The aim is to share the community news of the various Indian
>> Language Wiki communities. As you can see from the PDF that I shared with
>> you, several languages already provided the community News. So requesting
>> Kannada wiki community also to be part of this.
>>
>> It is the community newsletter. So I think it is better to name it as
>> WikiMedia India Community News Letter. I will change like that.
>
> How about using the name "Wikizine India"? or even "Wikipedia India
> Community newsletter" seems better.

Is it always only going to be about Wikipedia? If that is the case,
then yes, oethrwise, I believe that Wikimedia India Community
Newsletter is more appropriate.

I like Wikizine India too!

note: Wikimedia is not written with a capital M in the middle ;)

Cheers,

Delphine

--
~notafish

Re: Newsletter?

Ganesh Krishnamurthy
I saw a reference to this newsletter in the latest edition of the
Signpost. I am quoting from the Jimmy Wales Interview,

"He announced plans for a quarterly newsletter to be published on more
than 20 different Indian-language Wikipedias. Each Indian-language
Wikipedia will contribute to the newsletter, and share "what is going
on in their Wiki, what problems they're facing ... and it's a way for
them to communicate with each other, and of course it's in English, so
it's nice that they're able to do that.... all around the world the
smaller language Wikis are growing faster than the large wikis for
obvious reasons—there's a lot left to do and a lot of opportunities."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedia_Signpost/2010-08-30/In_the_news#Wales_praises_success_of_Indian-language_Wikipedias

Regards,

Ganesh

On 9/3/10, Delphine Ménard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 11:38 AM, Hari Prasad Nadig <[hidden email]>
> wrote:

>>> Sure. The aim is to share the community news of the various Indian
>>> Language Wiki communities. As you can see from the PDF that I shared with
>>> you, several languages already provided the community News. So requesting
>>> Kannada wiki community also to be part of this.
>>>
>>> It is the community newsletter. So I think it is better to name it as
>>> WikiMedia India Community News Letter. I will change like that.
>>
>> How about using the name "Wikizine India"? or even "Wikipedia India
>> Community newsletter" seems better.
>
> Is it always only going to be about Wikipedia? If that is the case,
> then yes, oethrwise, I believe that Wikimedia India Community
> Newsletter is more appropriate.
>
> I like Wikizine India too!
>
> note: Wikimedia is not written with a capital M in the middle ;)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Delphine
>

> --
> ~notafish

> lost.
> Intercultural musings: Ceci n'est pas une endive -
> http://blog.notanendive.org

Re: Newsletter?

Gautam John
Just my 2 paise/cents/pence on the issue:

1. For the current version, let's please get it out rather than get it
right? We can refine the process and the tools as we go along. After
all, isn't that what's so great about the Wiki model?
2. On the name, if it is about Wikipedia and Wikipedians and it seems
to be and is a community effort, Indian Wiki-Community Newsletter or
some such should be fine, right? Though it would be nice if someone
from the Foundation could chime in and let us know if Wikimedia is
fine to use. I wouldn't use Wikipedia because the newsletter is about
much more than just Wikipedia, right?

Thank you.

Best,

Gautam
________
http://social.prathambooks.org/

Re: Newsletter?

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
I a newsletter about India, lets have at least one great picture in the newsletter that is relevant to India. Pictures, DYK are as important as anything. The best thing would be for the Indian Wikipedias competing who produces the best imagery. <grin>I prefer a fierce competition without a clear winner </grin?
Thanks,
      GerardM

On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 7:10 PM, Gautam John <[hidden email]> wrote:
Just my 2 paise/cents/pence on the issue:

1. For the current version, let's please get it out rather than get it
right? We can refine the process and the tools as we go along. After
all, isn't that what's so great about the Wiki model?

If you are referring to my earlier words, I should say my suggestion has been misunderstood.
The question about tools used was to get a clue for opening the PDF to read on GNU/Linux. The PDF won't be of much use if it doesn't open for many. I'm sure there are plenty of GNU/Linux users in this community.

The other suggestion I made was about putting up the drafts of newsletter available to all volunteers so that others can contribute not only with respect to the text content, but also through design, media and most importantly the structure of newsletter. This helps in easily inviting other contributors to contribute in whatever ways they can. It also helps in inviting ideas and participation that would continue on to the next one. The great thing about Wiki model is community and collaboration. There's much fun in collaborating on a newsletter which in turn is also about collaborative projects.

--
Hari Prasad Nadig
http://hpnadig.net | http://twitter.com/hpnadig
http://flickr.com/hpnadig

Re: Newsletter?

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
I use Ubuntu and I have no problem reading PDF. There are many programs that can help there. Also with GMAIL I can read PDFs.
Thanks,
      GerardM

On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 10:11 PM, Gerard Meijssen <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hoi,
I use Ubuntu and I have no problem reading PDF. There are many programs that can help there. Also with GMAIL I can read PDFs.

Gerard, please read my earlier email. The PDF Shiju had sent me as a draft wasn't/isn't opening fine on GNU/Linux. That prompted me to throw the question on tools used. Hope there are no more confusions.

--
Hari Prasad Nadig
http://hpnadig.net | http://twitter.com/hpnadig
http://flickr.com/hpnadig

Re: Newsletter?

Bishakha Datta

On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 7:10 PM, Gautam John <[hidden email]> wrote:
Just my 2 paise/cents/pence on the issue:

Though it would be nice if someone
from the Foundation could chime in and let us know if Wikimedia is
fine to use.

Mike Godwin has clarified that as a noncommercial community effort this is fine. See http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Trademark_Policy

Look forward to seeing the newsletter soon. Lovely idea.

Cheers
Bishakha

Re: Newsletter?

Kul Wadhwa

On 9/3/10 11:16 AM, Bishakha Datta wrote:

On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 7:10 PM, Gautam John <[hidden email]> wrote:
Just my 2 paise/cents/pence on the issue:

Though it would be nice if someone
from the Foundation could chime in and let us know if Wikimedia is
fine to use.

Mike Godwin has clarified that as a noncommercial community effort this is fine. See http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Trademark_Policy

Look forward to seeing the newsletter soon. Lovely idea.

Yes, as Bishakha duly noted, you can use the marks for this and we look forward to seeing the newsletter! You can find the official marks here:

http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Wikimedia_official_marks

And the visual identity guidelines here:

http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Wikimedia_visual_identity_guidelines

Cheers!

Kul

Re: Newsletter?

Arjuna Rao Chavala
Shiju,

How are you going to host the newsletter. Are you going to link it to WIkipedia India project or will it be on meta? I suggest providing a simple wiki interface as well as pdf version.

Regards
Arjun