Next meeting Wikimedia types in London

Gordon Joly

Saturday March 8th, at the Pembury Tavern.

Looks like attendance will be low...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Meetup/London_8

That's OK. Nice pub, free wifi, excellent beer and food, several bus
routes, and till software that is written in Python. The website is
updated by a push from the till, so the range of beers is very up to
date.

http://www.individualpubs.co.uk/pembury/

Topics for discussion? Recent articles featured such as:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_End_of_London

:-)

Gordo

--
"Think Feynman"/////////
http://pobox.com/~gordo/

Re: Next meeting Wikimedia types in London

Gordon Joly
At 12:03 +0000 3/3/08, Gordon Joly wrote:

>Saturday March 8th, at the Pembury Tavern.
>
>Looks like attendance will be low...
>
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Meetup/London_8
>
>That's OK. Nice pub, free wifi, excellent beer and food, several bus
>routes, and till software that is written in Python. The website is
>updated by a push from the till, so the range of beers is very up to
>date.
>
>http://www.individualpubs.co.uk/pembury/
>
>Topics for discussion? Recent articles featured such as:
>
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_End_of_London
>
>:-)
>
>Gordo

Hmmm.... there are several people watching....

http://upcoming.yahoo.com/event/407910

Gordo

--
"Think Feynman"/////////
http://pobox.com/~gordo/
[hidden email]///

Re: Next meeting Wikimedia types in London

Gordon Joly
At 12:03 +0000 3/3/08, Gordon Joly wrote:

>Saturday March 8th, at the Pembury Tavern.
>
>Looks like attendance will be low...
>
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Meetup/London_8
>
>That's OK. Nice pub, free wifi, excellent beer and food, several bus
>routes, and till software that is written in Python. The website is
>updated by a push from the till, so the range of beers is very up to
>date.
>
>http://www.individualpubs.co.uk/pembury/

There is no train service from Stratford to Hackney Wick on Saturday
8th March (bus replacement) but the service from Liverpool Street to
Hackney Downs look fine - that journey takes seven minutes.

Gordo

At 09:06 +0000 4/3/08, Gordon Joly wrote:

>At 12:03 +0000 3/3/08, Gordon Joly wrote:
>>Saturday March 8th, at the Pembury Tavern.
>>
>>Looks like attendance will be low...
>>
>>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Meetup/London_8
>>
>>That's OK. Nice pub, free wifi, excellent beer and food, several bus
>>routes, and till software that is written in Python. The website is
>>updated by a push from the till, so the range of beers is very up to
>>date.
>>
>  >http://www.individualpubs.co.uk/pembury/
>  >

Looks like I will alone!

Gordon

--
"Think Feynman"/////////
http://pobox.com/~gordo/
[hidden email]///

Re: Next meeting Wikimedia types in London

Ian A. Holton
Hey Gordo et al.,

 sorry about that! I had a lot of other business to take care off and
considering that everybody else had cancelled / not signed up (e.g
TheEgyption) I decided to just give it a miss this time.

However, in the future it seems that a monthly event is difficult due to
demand and problems in setting a date that everybody can actually
manage.

I have some ideas for the future, but am quite busy with work and
studies, which means I might not have the time in the near-future to act
on them.

Ian [[User:Poeloq]]

At 14:51 +0000 9/3/08, Ian A Holton wrote:

>Hey Gordo et al.,
>
>  sorry about that! I had a lot of other business to take care off and
>considering that everybody else had cancelled / not signed up (e.g
>TheEgyption) I decided to just give it a miss this time.
>
>However, in the future it seems that a monthly event is difficult due to
>demand and problems in setting a date that everybody can actually
>manage.
>
>I have some ideas for the future, but am quite busy with work and
>studies, which means I might not have the time in the near-future to act
>on them.

Can I suggest that we set another (provisional?) date now, at the
Pembury, as see how many people can make it? How about April 19th or
April 20th?

I went for quick drink and left just before the TheEgyptian arrived!

Gordo

--
"Think Feynman"/////////
http://pobox.com/~gordo/
[hidden email]///

Re: Next meeting Wikimedia types in London

Gordon Joly

Following various ideas (that is not the Pembury Tavern and not in
the evening) we have suggested a lunchtime meeting in Central London.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:Meetup/London_8

The proposal is to have a Wikimeet at the Penderel's Oak near Holborn
Tube station on Sunday April 13th 2008.

This venue has pedigree, in that Jimbo was there on 2004-12-03

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Meetup/London2

with quite a people including "David Gerard (maybe)"....

Transport looks good that day, with no planned works on the Tube. The
Penderel's Oak is a Wetherspoons (Lloyd's Bar) so there is Sunday
lunch on offer with several options including veggie roast.

Gordo

--
"Think Feynman"/////////
http://pobox.com/~gordo/
[hidden email]///

Re: Next meeting Wikimedia types in London

Theresa Knott
On Sun, Mar 23, 2008 at 12:21 PM, Gordon Joly <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  Following various ideas (that is not the Pembury Tavern and not in
>  the evening) we have suggested a lunchtime meeting in Central London.
>
>  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:Meetup/London_8
>
>  The proposal is to have a Wikimeet at the Penderel's Oak near Holborn
>  Tube station on Sunday April 13th 2008.
>
>  This venue has pedigree, in that Jimbo was there on 2004-12-03
>
>  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Meetup/London2
>
>  with quite a people including "David Gerard (maybe)"....

Yes I was there. It was a good place. Nice and central.

Theresa

--

http://theresaknott.googlepages.com/home
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Theresa_knott

At 18:45 +0000 23/3/08, Theresa Knott wrote:

>On Sun, Mar 23, 2008 at 12:21 PM, Gordon Joly <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>   Following various ideas (that is not the Pembury Tavern and not in
>>   the evening) we have suggested a lunchtime meeting in Central London.
>>
>>   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:Meetup/London_8
>>
>>   The proposal is to have a Wikimeet at the Penderel's Oak near Holborn
>>   Tube station on Sunday April 13th 2008.
>>
>>   This venue has pedigree, in that Jimbo was there on 2004-12-03
>>
>>   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Meetup/London2
>>
>>   with quite a people including "David Gerard (maybe)"....
>

>Yes I was there. It was a good place. Nice and central.
>
>Theresa

Indeed: I know you were there, since I looked at the photographs!

I have suggested to Ian that we promote this date formally as the the
next London Wikimeet...

Gordon

--
"Think Feynman"/////////
http://pobox.com/~gordo/
[hidden email]///

Re: Next meeting Wikimedia types in London

Ian A. Holton
Hey everybody,

 I've finally managed to "officially" announce it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Meetup/London_8

Ian

On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 13:37:50 +0100, Ian A Holton <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hey everybody,
>
>  I've finally managed to "officially" announce it:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Meetup/London_8
>
> Ian

Thanks Ian. I have added my name to the list!

Gordo