No pre-booked accomodation ?

Sylvain Boissel
Hello,

I am used that the organizing team books hotel rooms for attendees, so that one does not have to look for himself, or find someone to share a room, wonder how to go from the hotel to the venue, etc. You just choose your accomodation when registering.

But it looks like this time we are on our own, as it is written "Accommodations will be handled separately from registration." More details are supposed to be available "soon" (since January in fact)

What are those details (a list of hotels (and we manage everything by ourselves) or an accomodation form (and the organizing team manages the booking)) and when will they be available? Wikimedia is in 100 days from now,

Regards,
Sylvain.

--
Sylvain Boissel
Chargé de mission communauté et technologie de Wikimédia France

Imaginez un monde où chaque personne sur la planète aurait librement accès à la totalité du savoir humain. C'est notre engagement. Aidez Wikimedia France à en faire une réalité.

Re: No pre-booked accomodation ?

James Hare
We will be announcing our hotels shortly.

Sincerely,
James Hare
Coordinator, Wikimania 2012

On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 1:16 PM, Sylvain Boissel
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am used that the organizing team books hotel rooms for attendees, so that
> one does not have to look for himself, or find someone to share a room,
> wonder how to go from the hotel to the venue, etc. You just choose your
> accomodation when registering.
>
> But it looks like this time we are on our own, as it is written
> "Accommodations will be handled separately from registration." More details
> are supposed to be available "soon" (since January in fact)
>
> What are those details (a list of hotels (and we manage everything by
> ourselves) or an accomodation form (and the organizing team manages the
> booking)) and when will they be available? Wikimedia is in 100 days from
> now,
>

> Regards,
> Sylvain.
>
> --
> Sylvain Boissel
> Chargé de mission communauté et technologie de Wikimédia France
> tél 07.62.93.42.02 - email [hidden email] - twitter @sboissel
>
> Imaginez un monde où chaque personne sur la planète aurait librement accès à
> la totalité du savoir humain. C'est notre engagement. Aidez Wikimedia France
> à en faire une réalité.
> www.wikimedia.fr

Re: No pre-booked accomodation ?

Katherine Casey
It would be helpful if you could give us a sense of how soon "shortly" is. This week? This month?

-Fluffernutter

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am used that the organizing team books hotel rooms for attendees, so that
> one does not have to look for himself, or find someone to share a room,
> wonder how to go from the hotel to the venue, etc. You just choose your
> accomodation when registering.
>
> But it looks like this time we are on our own, as it is written
> "Accommodations will be handled separately from registration." More details
> are supposed to be available "soon" (since January in fact)
>
> What are those details (a list of hotels (and we manage everything by
> ourselves) or an accomodation form (and the organizing team manages the
> booking)) and when will they be available? Wikimedia is in 100 days from
> now,
>

> Regards,
> Sylvain.
>
> --
> Sylvain Boissel
> Chargé de mission communauté et technologie de Wikimédia France
> tél 07.62.93.42.02 - email [hidden email] - twitter @sboissel
>
> Imaginez un monde où chaque personne sur la planète aurait librement accès à
> la totalité du savoir humain. C'est notre engagement. Aidez Wikimedia France
> à en faire une réalité.
> www.wikimedia.fr

Re: No pre-booked accomodation ?

Nicholas Michael Bashour
Hello Katherine, and other Wikimania attendees!

We were waiting for contracts to be signed before announcing hotels. Once the contracts are signed, the hotels have to make a registration page dedicated to Wikimania. My understanding is that it takes 2-3 days following contract signing for the booking to appear online.

Sincerely,

Nicholas Michael Bashour
President
Wikimedia District of Columbia
Washington, DC, USA

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am used that the organizing team books hotel rooms for attendees, so that
> one does not have to look for himself, or find someone to share a room,
> wonder how to go from the hotel to the venue, etc. You just choose your
> accomodation when registering.
>
> But it looks like this time we are on our own, as it is written
> "Accommodations will be handled separately from registration." More details
> are supposed to be available "soon" (since January in fact)
>
> What are those details (a list of hotels (and we manage everything by
> ourselves) or an accomodation form (and the organizing team manages the
> booking)) and when will they be available? Wikimedia is in 100 days from
> now,
>

> Regards,
> Sylvain.
>
> --
> Sylvain Boissel
> Chargé de mission communauté et technologie de Wikimédia France
> tél 07.62.93.42.02 - email [hidden email] - twitter @sboissel
>
> Imaginez un monde où chaque personne sur la planète aurait librement accès à
> la totalité du savoir humain. C'est notre engagement. Aidez Wikimedia France
> à en faire une réalité.
> www.wikimedia.fr

Re: No pre-booked accomodation ?

Richard Symonds-3
Would someone be able to give us a rough idea of when that might be?
Richard Symonds
Office & Development Manager
Wikimedia UK
+44 (0) 207 065 0992
--
Wikimedia UK is the operating name of Wiki UK Limited, a Charitable Company
Registered in England and Wales, No: 6741827. Charity No:1144513 Office: 4th Floor, Development House,  56-64 Leonard Street,

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am used that the organizing team books hotel rooms for attendees, so that
> one does not have to look for himself, or find someone to share a room,
> wonder how to go from the hotel to the venue, etc. You just choose your
> accomodation when registering.
>
> But it looks like this time we are on our own, as it is written
> "Accommodations will be handled separately from registration." More details
> are supposed to be available "soon" (since January in fact)
>
> What are those details (a list of hotels (and we manage everything by
> ourselves) or an accomodation form (and the organizing team manages the
> booking)) and when will they be available? Wikimedia is in 100 days from
> now,
>

> Regards,
> Sylvain.
>
> --
> Sylvain Boissel
> Chargé de mission communauté et technologie de Wikimédia France
> tél 07.62.93.42.02 - email [hidden email] - twitter @sboissel
>
> Imaginez un monde où chaque personne sur la planète aurait librement accès à
> la totalité du savoir humain. C'est notre engagement. Aidez Wikimedia France
> à en faire une réalité.
> www.wikimedia.fr

Re: No pre-booked accomodation ?

James Hare
We're looking to offer at least three options for accommodations. We
are almost done with securing contracts for all of them, so I imagine
that the system will be available around next Friday if not this time
next week.

James Hare

On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 7:54 AM, Richard Symonds
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Would someone be able to give us a rough idea of when that might be?
>
> Richard Symonds
> Office & Development Manager
> Wikimedia UK
> +44 (0) 207 065 0992
> --
> Wikimedia UK is the operating name of Wiki UK Limited, a Charitable Company
> Registered in England and Wales, No: 6741827. Charity No:1144513 Office: 4th
> Floor, Development House,  56-64 Leonard Street,
> London EC2A 4LT.
> Wikimedia UK is the local chapter of the Wikimedia Foundation (who operate
> Wikipedia, amongst other projects). It is an independent non-profit
> organization with no legal control over Wikipedia nor responsibility for
> its contents.
>

> On 03/04/2012 18:37, Nicholas Michael Bashour wrote:
>
> Hello Katherine, and other Wikimania attendees!
>
> We were waiting for contracts to be signed before announcing hotels. Once
> the contracts are signed, the hotels have to make a registration page
> dedicated to Wikimania. My understanding is that it takes 2-3 days following
> contract signing for the booking to appear online.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Nicholas Michael Bashour
> President
> Wikimedia District of Columbia
> Washington, DC, USA
>
> 2012/4/3 Katherine Casey <[hidden email]>
>>
>> It would be helpful if you could give us a sense of how soon "shortly" is.
>> This week? This month?
>>
>> -Fluffernutter
>>

>> On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 1:19 PM, James Hare <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> We will be announcing our hotels shortly.
>>>
>>> Sincerely,
>>> James Hare
>>> Coordinator, Wikimania 2012

Re: No pre-booked accomodation ?

Richard Symonds-3
Thanks James! It just makes it easier for me to plan my office's week
ahead if I know what's happening.

All the best,

On 04/04/2012 15:44, James Hare wrote:

> We're looking to offer at least three options for accommodations. We
> are almost done with securing contracts for all of them, so I imagine
> that the system will be available around next Friday if not this time
> next week.
>
> James Hare
>
> On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 7:54 AM, Richard Symonds
> <[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> Would someone be able to give us a rough idea of when that might be?
>>
>> Richard Symonds
>> Office&  Development Manager
>> Wikimedia UK
>> +44 (0) 207 065 0992
>> --
>> Wikimedia UK is the operating name of Wiki UK Limited, a Charitable Company
>> Registered in England and Wales, No: 6741827. Charity No:1144513 Office: 4th
>> Floor, Development House,  56-64 Leonard Street,
>> London EC2A 4LT.
>> Wikimedia UK is the local chapter of the Wikimedia Foundation (who operate
>> Wikipedia, amongst other projects). It is an independent non-profit
>> organization with no legal control over Wikipedia nor responsibility for
>> its contents.
>>

>> On 03/04/2012 18:37, Nicholas Michael Bashour wrote:
>>
>> Hello Katherine, and other Wikimania attendees!
>>
>> We were waiting for contracts to be signed before announcing hotels. Once
>> the contracts are signed, the hotels have to make a registration page
>> dedicated to Wikimania. My understanding is that it takes 2-3 days following
>> contract signing for the booking to appear online.
>>
>> Sincerely,
>>
>> Nicholas Michael Bashour
>> President
>> Wikimedia District of Columbia
>> Washington, DC, USA
>>
>> 2012/4/3 Katherine Casey<[hidden email]>
>>> It would be helpful if you could give us a sense of how soon "shortly" is.
>>> This week? This month?
>>>
>>> -Fluffernutter

Re: No pre-booked accomodation ?

James Hare
Incidentally, if anyone here is responsible for their chapter's hotel
booking for Wikimania, and you haven't already talked to me, you need
to email me NOW.

James Hare

On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 10:52 AM, Richard Symonds
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks James! It just makes it easier for me to plan my office's week ahead
> if I know what's happening.
>
> All the best,
>
> Richard Symonds
> Office&  Development Manager
>
> Wikimedia UK
> +44 (0) 207 065 0992
> --
> Wikimedia UK is the operating name of Wiki UK Limited, a Charitable Company
> Registered in England and Wales, No: 6741827. Charity No:1144513 Office: 4th
> Floor, Development House,  56-64 Leonard Street,
> London EC2A 4LT.
> Wikimedia UK is the local chapter of the Wikimedia Foundation (who operate
> Wikipedia, amongst other projects). It is an independent non-profit
> organization with no legal control over Wikipedia nor responsibility for
> its contents.
>

> On 04/04/2012 15:44, James Hare wrote:
>>
>> We're looking to offer at least three options for accommodations. We
>> are almost done with securing contracts for all of them, so I imagine
>> that the system will be available around next Friday if not this time
>> next week.
>>
>> James Hare
>>
>> On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 7:54 AM, Richard Symonds
>> <[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Would someone be able to give us a rough idea of when that might be?
>>>
>>> Richard Symonds
>>> Office&  Development Manager
>>>
>>> Wikimedia UK
>>> +44 (0) 207 065 0992
>>> --
>>> Wikimedia UK is the operating name of Wiki UK Limited, a Charitable
>>> Company
>>> Registered in England and Wales, No: 6741827. Charity No:1144513 Office:
>>> 4th
>>> Floor, Development House,  56-64 Leonard Street,
>>> London EC2A 4LT.
>>> Wikimedia UK is the local chapter of the Wikimedia Foundation (who
>>> operate
>>> Wikipedia, amongst other projects). It is an independent non-profit
>>> organization with no legal control over Wikipedia nor responsibility for
>>> its contents.
>>>

>>> On 03/04/2012 18:37, Nicholas Michael Bashour wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello Katherine, and other Wikimania attendees!
>>>
>>> We were waiting for contracts to be signed before announcing hotels. Once
>>> the contracts are signed, the hotels have to make a registration page
>>> dedicated to Wikimania. My understanding is that it takes 2-3 days
>>> following
>>> contract signing for the booking to appear online.
>>>
>>> Sincerely,
>>>
>>> Nicholas Michael Bashour
>>> President
>>> Wikimedia District of Columbia
>>> Washington, DC, USA

Re: No pre-booked accomodation ?

Maarten Dammers
Hi James,

Op 4-4-2012 16:44, James Hare schreef:
> We're looking to offer at least three options for accommodations. We
> are almost done with securing contracts for all of them, so I imagine
> that the system will be available around next Friday if not this time
> next week.
What's the status of this?

Maarten

On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 5:20 PM, Maarten Dammers <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi James,
>
> Op 4-4-2012 16:44, James Hare schreef:
>
>> We're looking to offer at least three options for accommodations. We
>> are almost done with securing contracts for all of them, so I imagine
>> that the system will be available around next Friday if not this time
>> next week.
>
> What's the status of this?
>
> Maarten

Our original plan with the third hotel did not work out as we planned,
so that has set us back about a week or so. But the upside to this is
that we're going to get a better deal for all of you. So stay tuned!
:-)

In the meantime, if your chapter is offering its own scholarship
independent of the WMF scholarship and you would like to be guaranteed
beds in the hostel for your attendees traveling on scholarship, if you
would like to work with us to get hotel rooms for your chapter board
or staff, or you would like to do group registration for your chapter,
please fill out the form here:
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dHgtSnhBSGtPaUFXRlozNmFtSFZ3VVE6MQ#gid=0>.
I am extended the deadline by a week.

Regards,