Non-Compliant Direct-Loader of Vietnamese Wikipedia

Non-Compliant Direct-Loader of Vietnamese Wikipedia

Minh Nguyen-2
The other day the Vietnamese Wikipedia community found a
Vietnamese-language search engine, Viet99 <http://www.viet99.com/wiki/>,
that is direct-loading the entirety of vi:, as evidenced by the
up-to-datednesss of
<http://www.viet99.com/wiki/?title=Special:Recentchanges> -- compare to
<http://vi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Recentchanges>.

The website uses <http://www.vacilando.org/index.php?x=7065>, a
direct-loading PHP script. The author of that script maintains a
poorly-behaved Wikipedia mirror at
<http://www.vacilando.org/index.php?title=Main_Page>. Unlike the
Vacilando mirror, though, Viet99 removes the script-provided references
to GFDL and slap on their own Google-provided advertising and copyright
statement: "Copyright 2005, Viet99. All rights reserved." They did keep
the part of the script that provides an edit link back to the real wiki,
but that's about it. Viet99 doesn't make it clear that the Wikipedia
content isn't actually their own work, and they make no effort to
explain what Wikipedia is; the only explanation is what we added at the
bottom of our main page to make sure that no Viet99 users get
misinformed about Wikipedia.

My understanding is that this is a violation of Wikipedia's terms of use
and the GFDL, and that they should be blocked. We could find no contact
information on their website, and a whois search revealed (presumably)
their host, A Theory <http://a-theory.com/>. I posted a message to IRC
and this mailing list the day we found out about this issue, but the IRC
message got ignored (probably the wrong time of day), and my previous
e-mail never made it through to the list.

Please consider blocking this direct-loader, because it's just adding to
Wikimedia's bandwidth for Viet99's own profit.

--
Minh Nguyen <[hidden email]>
AIM: trycom2000; Jabber: [hidden email]; Blog: http://mxn.f2o.org/

Re: Non-Compliant Direct-Loader of Vietnamese Wikipedia

田中 万太郎
--- Minh Nguyen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The website uses
> <http://www.vacilando.org/index.php?x=7065>, a
> direct-loading PHP script. The author of that script
> maintains a
> poorly-behaved Wikipedia mirror at
> <http://www.vacilando.org/index.php?title=Main_Page>.

oh dear. If you use the Google search for phrase "using
Wikipedia Reflection Script", you can see many more sites
which are using this script :-(.

TANAKA

田中 万太郎 wrote:

> --- Minh Nguyen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> The website uses
>> <http://www.vacilando.org/index.php?x=7065>, a
>> direct-loading PHP script. The author of that script
>> maintains a
>> poorly-behaved Wikipedia mirror at
>> <http://www.vacilando.org/index.php?title=Main_Page>.
>
> oh dear. If you use the Google search for phrase "using
> Wikipedia Reflection Script", you can see many more sites
> which are using this script :-(.
>
> TANAKA

Yes, but at least those websites are courteous enough to leave in credit
to the script's author... just think of the websites that, like Viet99,
relegate any mention of the reflector script to an obscure comment in
the source code.

--
Minh Nguyen <[hidden email]>
AIM: trycom2000; Jabber: [hidden email]; Blog: http://mxn.f2o.org/

Re: Non-Compliant Direct-Loader of Vietnamese Wikipedia

田中 万太郎
--- Minh Nguyen <[hidden email]> からのメッセージ:

> 田中 万太郎 wrote:
> > --- Minh Nguyen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> The website uses
> >> <http://www.vacilando.org/index.php?x=7065>, a
> >> direct-loading PHP script. The author of that
> script
> >> maintains a
> >> poorly-behaved Wikipedia mirror at
> >>
> <http://www.vacilando.org/index.php?title=Main_Page>.
> >
> > oh dear. If you use the Google search for phrase
> "using
> > Wikipedia Reflection Script", you can see many
> more sites
> > which are using this script :-(.
> >
> > TANAKA
>
> Yes, but at least those websites are courteous
> enough to leave in credit
> to the script's author... just think of the websites
> that, like Viet99,
> relegate any mention of the reflector script to an
> obscure comment in
> the source code.

But, it is not just a question of the license, all these
sites are "live mirrors", which is against policy of
Wikipedia, See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Mirrors_and_forks ,

Section "Remote loading".

Though, I think Viet99 should be the first to be banned.

TANAKA

Minh Nguyen wrote:

> The other day the Vietnamese Wikipedia community found a
> Vietnamese-language search engine, Viet99 <http://www.viet99.com/wiki/>,
> that is direct-loading the entirety of vi:, as evidenced by the
> up-to-datednesss of
> <http://www.viet99.com/wiki/?title=Special:Recentchanges> -- compare to
> <http://vi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Recentchanges>.
>
> The website uses <http://www.vacilando.org/index.php?x=7065>, a
> direct-loading PHP script. The author of that script maintains a
> poorly-behaved Wikipedia mirror at
> <http://www.vacilando.org/index.php?title=Main_Page>. Unlike the
> Vacilando mirror, though, Viet99 removes the script-provided references
> to GFDL and slap on their own Google-provided advertising and copyright
> statement: "Copyright 2005, Viet99. All rights reserved." They did keep
> the part of the script that provides an edit link back to the real wiki,
> but that's about it. Viet99 doesn't make it clear that the Wikipedia
> content isn't actually their own work, and they make no effort to
> explain what Wikipedia is; the only explanation is what we added at the
> bottom of our main page to make sure that no Viet99 users get
> misinformed about Wikipedia.
>
> My understanding is that this is a violation of Wikipedia's terms of use
> and the GFDL, and that they should be blocked. We could find no contact
> information on their website, and a whois search revealed (presumably)
> their host, A Theory <http://a-theory.com/>. I posted a message to IRC
> and this mailing list the day we found out about this issue, but the IRC
> message got ignored (probably the wrong time of day), and my previous
> e-mail never made it through to the list.
>
> Please consider blocking this direct-loader, because it's just adding to
> Wikimedia's bandwidth for Viet99's own profit.

On behalf of the Vietnamese Wikipedia community, thanks to whoever
blocked Viet99 for us; it's much appreciated! We're discussing a
possible WikiProject to hunt for non-compliant mirrors of the Vietnamese
wikis; I'll mail the list once the project takes off.