Notability in Wikipedia

Re: Notability in Wikipedia

WJhonson
<<-----Original Message-----
From: Ray Saintonge <[hidden email]>

I'm sure that my comments were consistent with the statement to which I
was replying, and which you conveniently omitted.  In all probability,
my use of "you" might very well have been equivalent to the more
stylistically awkward and Victorian use of "one". >>

I am too dense to understand your language.  But now that we've
established that you meant "One" then yes one should replace one's own
individual judgement of what is a reliable source.

We do not, to my knowledge, have a list of what sources the community
deems reliable, and we don't usually go through an orgy of doubt
regarding each individual source we encounter.  So the only mechanism
by which, we can speedily gauge the value of a source is our own
individual judgement.

Those who have no judgement, shouldn't try to gauge the value of a
source.

That, Ray, is why the project wants and needs experts in each field.
Those experts have the level of judgement needed to gauge sources.
It's entirely probably that many non-experts do as well, but if anyone
feels that they are not worthy of doing that task, then they can
certainly leave it for others to do.

Every place I see a citation to certain sources I know to be
unreliable, I will strike it out.  There is no need to cite unreliable
sources, when we have right on Google Books (now) a much better and
more reliable source for the subject material.

Will Johnson

Re: Notability in Wikipedia

WJhonson

Re: Notability in Wikipedia

David Gerard-2
2009/4/29  <[hidden email]>:

> The main problematic sources are not the ones from the 19th century,
> but rather the pseudo-historical ones that are being spewed out like
> .... spew, right now.  I picked up a copy of Laurence Gardiner's book
> "Bloodline of the Holy Grail" for a buck, not because I think it has
> any substantive worth whatsoever (which it does not), but because I
> wanted to track down what his sources were for his absurdly fantastic
> genealogical charts.
> My "absurdly fantastic" I mean "wholely lacking in evidence and in some
> cases utterly preposterous to boot".

One of the most educational aspects of working on Wikipedia is
realising just how bad other sources (including all journalistic
"reliable sources") can be, and that the main practical difference
between us and them is that here you can see inside the sausage
factory, there you can't.

- d.

Re: Notability in Wikipedia

Mark
David Gerard wrote:

> 2009/4/27  <[hidden email]>:
>

>> I'm not saying that people should delete based on Google results in the
>> first place.  In fact I am the one who put that note on historical subjects
>> into the policy in the first place a few years back.  Subjects who are not
>> necessarily currently talked-up might have been quite the popular rage back in
>> 1920 or 1920 or 1420, and should not be deleted based on current Google
>> searches.
>>

> I must say, the blindness of some AFD participants to anything that
> happened before 1995 can be more than a little annoying ...

I haven't found this to be a big problem in practice, but maybe I've
been lucky? A handful of my edge-case biographies of 19th-century
individuals have been nominated for AfD, but all survived. One was a
translation from a famous 19th-century German encyclopedia (ADB), and
nobody could find a single post-1900 source on the man, but it was kept
nonetheless, with the justification that having once been included in
ADB is sufficient to automatically establish notability. A pleasantly
surprising result.

-Mark

Re: Notability in Wikipedia

James Farrar
2009/4/28 Bill Carter <[hidden email]>:
> Notability in Wikipedia is a joke, as is NPOV. Need I remind you about the article about Alan Cabal that is waiting to reach mainspace?

Oh, there is? I don't think you've told us about it.

Re: Notability in Wikipedia

James Farrar
You don't deserve originality.

Give up, pal.