Notifying electorate of vote

Andrew Turvey-2
Thomas Dalton [hidden email]wrote:

Has anything been done to let people that have put their names down
for membership know that the vote has started? If someone familiar
with AWB or similar could go through and add a message to everyone's
talk page, it would be good. I don't think we can expect everyone to
be either on this list or watching the meta page.

====

I think that's a great idea. I've drafted a message at
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimedia_UK_v2.0#Message_encouraging_people_to_vote,

Please feel free to amend.

I suggest we go and subst it onto the userpage of everyone who's signed up -
will only take a few minutes even without AWB.

Andrew

Re: Notifying electorate of vote

Thomas Dalton
> I think that's a great idea. I've drafted a message at
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimedia_UK_v2.0#Message_encouraging_people_to_vote,
>
> Please feel free to amend.
>
> I suggest we go and subst it onto the userpage of everyone who's signed up -
> will only take a few minutes even without AWB.

Looks good. Actually, not using AWB is probably better - a lot of
people have a link on their meta talk page to a talk page on their
home project, AWB won't be able to follow those links, someone doing
it by hand could.

Re: Notifying electorate of vote

private musings
G'day all...

"someone doing
it by hand could."

and indeed, someone doing it by hand did!

As I mentioned on the meta page, I've dropped notes in to all guarantor members, but will hold on the supporting members for a bit to see if the substr approach might be better (to be honest, I don't really fully understand how that would work! :-) )

I also asked for a confirmation email that my vote was received properly, and received it promptly, which was great - so for me at least, the system worked great :-)

best to all,

Peter
PM.

On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 5:32 AM, Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I think that's a great idea. I've drafted a message at
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimedia_UK_v2.0#Message_encouraging_people_to_vote,
>
> Please feel free to amend.
>
> I suggest we go and subst it onto the userpage of everyone who's signed up -
> will only take a few minutes even without AWB.

Looks good. Actually, not using AWB is probably better - a lot of
people have a link on their meta talk page to a talk page on their
home project, AWB won't be able to follow those links, someone doing
it by hand could.

Re: Notifying electorate of vote

Mike Peel
PM,

Thanks for spreading the word around. By "substr" are you meaning
"subst", i.e. where you create a template with the text you want,
then put {{subst:TemplateName}} on each user's talk page rather than
the message itself? If so, then unless you use a bot it's unlikely to
be faster than pasting the whole message in each time. Or are you
referring to some other process?

Mike

On 21 Sep 2008, at 03:34, private musings wrote:

> G'day all...
>
> "someone doing
> it by hand could."
>
> and indeed, someone doing it by hand did!
>
> As I mentioned on the meta page, I've dropped notes in to all
> guarantor members, but will hold on the supporting members for a
> bit to see if the substr approach might be better (to be honest, I
> don't really fully understand how that would work! :-) )
>
> I also asked for a confirmation email that my vote was received
> properly, and received it promptly, which was great - so for me at
> least, the system worked great :-)
>
> best to all,
>
> Peter
> PM.
>

> On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 5:32 AM, Thomas Dalton
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I think that's a great idea. I've drafted a message at
> > http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/
> Talk:Wikimedia_UK_v2.0#Message_encouraging_people_to_vote,
> >
> > Please feel free to amend.
> >
> > I suggest we go and subst it onto the userpage of everyone who's
> signed up -
> > will only take a few minutes even without AWB.
>
> Looks good. Actually, not using AWB is probably better - a lot of
> people have a link on their meta talk page to a talk page on their
> home project, AWB won't be able to follow those links, someone doing
> it by hand could.

Re: Notifying electorate of vote

private musings
re: Mike - I think my inability to know the difference between substr and subst speaks volumes as to my expertise in this area :-)

I used heaps of tabs and Ctrl+V to post the notes, and will do so once more with the supporting members tomorrow, baring objections, better ideas, or someone else getting there first!

I guess the advantage of the template approach might be that the message can be collaboratively edited after being posted to individuals?.. but I doubt that really matters in this process....

the progress in WMUK is very heartening though :-)

cheers,

Peter
PM.

On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 6:22 PM, Michael Peel <[hidden email]> wrote:
PM,

Thanks for spreading the word around. By "substr" are you meaning
"subst", i.e. where you create a template with the text you want,
then put {{subst:TemplateName}} on each user's talk page rather than
the message itself? If so, then unless you use a bot it's unlikely to
be faster than pasting the whole message in each time. Or are you
referring to some other process?

Mike

On 21 Sep 2008, at 03:34, private musings wrote:

> G'day all...
>
> "someone doing
> it by hand could."
>
> and indeed, someone doing it by hand did!
>
> As I mentioned on the meta page, I've dropped notes in to all
> guarantor members, but will hold on the supporting members for a
> bit to see if the substr approach might be better (to be honest, I
> don't really fully understand how that would work! :-) )
>
> I also asked for a confirmation email that my vote was received
> properly, and received it promptly, which was great - so for me at
> least, the system worked great :-)
>
> best to all,
>
> Peter
> PM.
>

> On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 5:32 AM, Thomas Dalton
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I think that's a great idea. I've drafted a message at
> > http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/
> Talk:Wikimedia_UK_v2.0#Message_encouraging_people_to_vote,
> >
> > Please feel free to amend.
> >
> > I suggest we go and subst it onto the userpage of everyone who's
> signed up -
> > will only take a few minutes even without AWB.
>
> Looks good. Actually, not using AWB is probably better - a lot of
> people have a link on their meta talk page to a talk page on their
> home project, AWB won't be able to follow those links, someone doing
> it by hand could.

Re: Notifying electorate of vote

Katie Chan
On Sun, 2008-09-21 at 20:27 +1000, private musings wrote:

> re: Mike - I think my inability to know the difference between substr
> and subst speaks volumes as to my expertise in this area :-)
>
> I used heaps of tabs and Ctrl+V to post the notes, and will do so once
> more with the supporting members tomorrow, baring objections, better
> ideas, or someone else getting there first!
>
> I guess the advantage of the template approach might be that the
> message can be collaboratively edited after being posted to
> individuals?.. but I doubt that really matters in this process....
A subst'd template is copy & pasted by mediawiki, and so cannot be
edited "centrally" afterwards.

KTC

  - Heinrich Heine

Re: Notifying electorate of vote

Thomas Dalton
> I used heaps of tabs and Ctrl+V to post the notes, and will do so once more
> with the supporting members tomorrow, baring objections, better ideas, or
> someone else getting there first!

That's the same method I used to inform all the candidates about the
statements page, and it worked for me (although that was a shorter
list!). I'd go for it, if I were you.

Re: Notifying electorate of vote

Sam Korn
2008/9/21 private musings <[hidden email]>:
> I guess the advantage of the template approach might be that the message can
> be collaboratively edited after being posted to individuals?.. but I doubt
> that really matters in this process....

There isn't really any advantage in the template system for the job
you're doing!  The purpose of a substituted template (i.e. one using
{{subst:...}}) is that multiple people can use the same code.  As
you're doing it on your own, Ctrl-V is about the best way!

Thanks for doing this!

--
Sam
PGP public key: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Sam_Korn/public_key