Number of registered editors per country

Number of registered editors per country

Thomas Stieve
Dear all,

Hope all is well. Does anyone know of published statistics for the number
of registered editors per country? I need it for 2016, but any year close
to that would suffice.

Your help is greatly appreciated,
Tom

--
Thomas Stieve
Ph.D. Candidate

Re: Number of registered editors per country

Federico Leva (Nemo)
Thomas Stieve, 22/08/20 23:59:
> Hope all is well. Does anyone know of published statistics for the number
> of registered editors per country?

No. It's not possible to calculate, because IP addresses are only kept
for 90 days.

Federico

Re: Number of registered editors per country

Su-Laine Brodsky
Hi Thomas,

This isn’t quite what you asked for, but the editor survey from 2018 might be helpful:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Community_Insights/2018_Report#Looking_at_diversity_across_community_audiences <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Community_Insights/2018_Report#Looking_at_diversity_across_community_audiences>

The survey responses will be skewed towards more active editors, but depending on how you want to use the information that might be OK.

Best wishes,
Su-Laine

> On Aug 22, 2020, at 1:59 PM, Thomas Stieve <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Dear all,
>
> Hope all is well. Does anyone know of published statistics for the number
> of registered editors per country? I need it for 2016, but any year close
> to that would suffice.
>
> Your help is greatly appreciated,
> Tom
>
> --
> Thomas Stieve
> Ph.D. Candidate
> School of Geography and Development
> University of Arizona

Re: Number of registered editors per country

Isaac Johnson
Thomas, a few additional options on top of Su-Laine's link:

2018 - present:
There is now a geographic editors dataset that stretches back to 2018 and
includes monthly data on editors per country:
https://dumps.wikimedia.org/other/geoeditors/readme.html
NOTE: as Nemo pointed out, there are privacy concerns centered around this
data, so that data only gives you rough bins and has some filtering
criteria applied:
https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Analytics/Data_Lake/Edits/Geoeditors/Public#Privacy

2009 - 2015:
There is also some quarterly data from several years ago that ends in 2015
-- e.g.,
https://stats.wikimedia.org/wikimedia/squids/SquidReportPageEditsPerCountryOverview2015Q1.htm
(and full list of reports: https://stats.wikimedia.org/wikimedia/squids/)
NOTE: I don't know the history of that data though and the Q2 2015 report
(the last one) notes that there are inconsistencies in the data so I don't
know how much to trust it. Perhaps others will know more about why this
report was discontinued and what data can be trusted in it.

Best,
Isaac

On Sun, Aug 23, 2020 at 4:49 PM Su-Laine Brodsky <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Thomas,
>
> This isn’t quite what you asked for, but the editor survey from 2018 might
> be helpful:
>
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Community_Insights/2018_Report#Looking_at_diversity_across_community_audiences
> <
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Community_Insights/2018_Report#Looking_at_diversity_across_community_audiences
> >

> The survey responses will be skewed towards more active editors, but
> depending on how you want to use the information that might be OK.
>
> Best wishes,
> Su-Laine
>

> > On Aug 22, 2020, at 1:59 PM, Thomas Stieve <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Dear all,
> >
> > Hope all is well. Does anyone know of published statistics for the number
> > of registered editors per country? I need it for 2016, but any year close
> > to that would suffice.
> >
> > Your help is greatly appreciated,
> > Tom
> >
> > --
> > Thomas Stieve
> > Ph.D. Candidate
> > School of Geography and Development
> > University of Arizona

Isaac Johnson (he/him/his) -- Research Scientist -- Wikimedia Foundation

Re: [EXT]Re: Number of registered editors per country

Thomas Stieve
Dear Isaac and Su-Laine,

Thank you for your replies. I really appreciate it. Correct me if I'm
wrong, these sources report the number of edits or editors, but don't break
down the kind of editors (registered and non-registered) per country? I
need to answer that question.

Thanks again!
Tom

On Mon, Aug 24, 2020 at 7:13 AM Isaac Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> External Email
>
> Thomas, a few additional options on top of Su-Laine's link:
>
> 2018 - present:
> There is now a geographic editors dataset that stretches back to 2018 and
> includes monthly data on editors per country:
> https://dumps.wikimedia.org/other/geoeditors/readme.html
> NOTE: as Nemo pointed out, there are privacy concerns centered around this
> data, so that data only gives you rough bins and has some filtering
> criteria applied:
>
> https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Analytics/Data_Lake/Edits/Geoeditors/Public#Privacy
>
> 2009 - 2015:
> There is also some quarterly data from several years ago that ends in 2015
> -- e.g.,
>
> https://stats.wikimedia.org/wikimedia/squids/SquidReportPageEditsPerCountryOverview2015Q1.htm
> (and full list of reports: https://stats.wikimedia.org/wikimedia/squids/)
> NOTE: I don't know the history of that data though and the Q2 2015 report
> (the last one) notes that there are inconsistencies in the data so I don't
> know how much to trust it. Perhaps others will know more about why this
> report was discontinued and what data can be trusted in it.
>
> Best,
> Isaac
>

> On Sun, Aug 23, 2020 at 4:49 PM Su-Laine Brodsky <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi Thomas,
> >
> > This isn’t quite what you asked for, but the editor survey from 2018
> might
> > be helpful:
> >

> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Community_Insights/2018_Report#Looking_at_diversity_across_community_audiences
> > <
> >
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Community_Insights/2018_Report#Looking_at_diversity_across_community_audiences
> > >

> > The survey responses will be skewed towards more active editors, but
> > depending on how you want to use the information that might be OK.
> >
> > Best wishes,
> > Su-Laine
> >

> > > On Aug 22, 2020, at 1:59 PM, Thomas Stieve <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > Dear all,
> > >
> > > Hope all is well. Does anyone know of published statistics for the
> number
> > > of registered editors per country? I need it for 2016, but any year
> close
> > > to that would suffice.
> > >
> > > Your help is greatly appreciated,
> > > Tom
> > >
> > > --
> > > Thomas Stieve
> > > Ph.D. Candidate
> > > School of Geography and Development
> > > University of Arizona

> Isaac Johnson (he/him/his) -- Research Scientist -- Wikimedia Foundation

Thomas Stieve
Ph.D. Candidate
School of Geography and Development
University of Arizona

Re: [EXT]Re: Number of registered editors per country

saidkassem
unsubscribe

On Mon, Aug 24, 2020 at 1:34 PM Thomas Stieve <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> > > be helpful:
> > >

> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Community_Insights/2018_Report#Looking_at_diversity_across_community_audiences
> > > <
> > >

> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Community_Insights/2018_Report#Looking_at_diversity_across_community_audiences
> > > >

> > > The survey responses will be skewed towards more active editors, but
> > > depending on how you want to use the information that might be OK.
> > >
> > > Best wishes,
> > > Su-Laine

> > number
> > close

> > Isaac Johnson (he/him/his) -- Research Scientist -- Wikimedia Foundation

> Thomas Stieve
> Ph.D. Candidate
> School of Geography and Development
> University of Arizona

Re: [EXT]Re: Number of registered editors per country

2018-present data:
See the note under
https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Analytics/Data_Lake/Edits/Geoeditors/Public#Data_Format
-- registered and unregistered are grouped together in this data

2009-2015 data:
The page indicates that "Also all ip addresses that occur more than once on
a given day are discarded for that day."

I don't know of any public data sources where registered/unregistered are
explicitly split out. For some countries, you could probably make some
reasonable estimates by applying assumptions around which languages are
most strongly associated with the country -- e.g., jawiki for Japan:
https://stats.wikimedia.org/#/ja.wikipedia.org/contributing/editors/normal|line|2-year|editor_type~anonymous*group-bot*name-bot*user|monthly

wrote:

> [...]
> > > <
> > >

> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Community_Insights/2018_Report#Looking_at_diversity_across_community_audiences
> > > >

> > > The survey responses will be skewed towards more active editors, but
> > > depending on how you want to use the information that might be OK.
> > >
> > > Best wishes,
> > > Su-Laine

> > number
> > close

> > Isaac Johnson (he/him/his) -- Research Scientist -- Wikimedia Foundation

> Thomas Stieve
> Ph.D. Candidate
> School of Geography and Development
> University of Arizona

Isaac Johnson (he/him/his) -- Research Scientist -- Wikimedia Foundation

Re: [EXT]Re: Number of registered editors per country

Thanks